Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Primers and Powder

Default Old Primers and Powder

About 3 years ago I had a project reloading 3K rounds of 45 acp. I did it in stages rather than portions, completing case prep for all then decided it would be safer to prime them all storing them in my reloading jars. About that time I had my accident and set everything aside till now. My body is in better shape and I'm ready to resume. Before you ask I am NOT going to powder 3K round before closing them up, but will do 100 at a shot.

I have an idea but want to confirm... Should the primers and powder still be okay? Casings with primers are in 2qt size plastic jars with lids stored inside the house my closet. Powder is in my powder box stored in same closet.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Is the house air conditioned? If not, what is the normal relative humidity? Just things someone would want to know in order to give you an answer. I assume the powder is in sealed containers so it should not be a problem. I'd just load up a hundred rounds and try them. A small investment before you load them all.

Yes air conditioned and low humidity.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.

Old Lincoln, please keep us updated on your results.
    When you shoot those first 100 I would suggest you shoot every round with at least 2 seconds in between each. I'm slightly concerned about a squib round……it's good to be careful.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I keep my powder, primers and reloaders out in the garage. The ones im loading now have been sitting in the garage for over 4 years, had zero problems. I do keep my powder capped and my primers stored in their original containers. Your loads will perform perfectly, load them up and shoot them!!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

You should be just fine. I've seen your powder storage box and know how meticulous you are.

The powder should be good for sure, the primers in a jar in the house should be good to go as well.

You can just light off a few primers with no powder and make sure you get a good blast.

Then as everybody has suggested load a 100 or so and go try them. I have little doubt they'll work fine. I can feel it in my cells.

Tell me about this accident. Do I know about that? Forgive me if I've forgotten, my memory sometimes is disgraceful.

I think of you often down there, I stumble across the Old Lincoln custom grip for bad thumb prototype from time to time.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My thoughts are reconfirmed. I'll load it and see what happens.

I remember that thumb grip and love what you made as the final product. Pics are in the emporium for the curious.

THE accident was as usual a stupid act on my part. About 40 years ago I bought an inexpensive aluminum ladder and over the years wore it out. I hammered the rivets tight a number of times but the frame would twist. I used that "feature" many times to walk the ladder along a wall when working high. As I slowed down using it, after each use I'd tell my self to replace it before I got hurt. Never got around to it as I only used it a time or two a year by then. The LAST time I used it I was half way up storing a big Christmas decoration box above my head and turned with it to put it on another shelf. The ladder shifted a bit and collapsed trapping my feet and I did a header onto the garage floor. Ended up with a concussion that made my walk unsteady and took to using a cane. Also screwed up my memory pretty good. I'm better now and walk and memory are almost back. Best part is I feeling like getting out a bit.

Funny all those years I intended to replace that stupid ladder and it cost me bad. I destroyed the old ladder and had my son take me to Home Depot and bought a $75 professional grade 6' that is solid. Problem is I'm not allowed on ladders anymore. Funny huh? For those with wimpy ladders, don't wait to replace them cause they can kill you.

Amen on the ladders, never cared much for them anyhow.
    Lots of other things we don't use often that are wore out and should be replaced but since you rarely use them it's hard to part with the money.
    Glad your on the mend, I had not heard of this incident so my memory must still work a little bit. That's a good thing.

We're probably about due for a upgrade on Dad's old Colt, maybe this winter when we're huddled inside out of the cold we can conjure up something.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wishing you the best, Old Lincoln. It could have been much worse, i.e. you could have been paralyzed!

That would suck for sure.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan