Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Primers and Powder

Primers from the factory come in boxes that are open to the air. They are sold in places that have 90+% humidity like Florida. I have never heard of any problem with a primer and have to think that if the potential for a problem due to exposure to the environment existed, the manufacturer would ship them in a sealed container as they do powder.

I think primers are also a whole bunch better now than they were years ago.

You still see a bad one from time to time but in the overall scheme of things, not very often.

You have a good point Steve. Should be fine and dandy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wow, glad you're on the mend OldLincoln, a fall like that could have turned out your lights permanently....I did something like that with a cheap 6 foot aluminum step ladder that I liked because it was so light and handy to tote around...I was on the second from the top step changing a light bulb in the garage door opener when all of the sudden it twisted and I hit the concrete with my right knee which still hurts and has a knot on it ten years later.....Aluminum ladders are dangerous and mine went straight to the trash where it belonged the day it was made....

The old chlorate primers were moisture sensitive. After mercuric primers fell out of use with the advent of brass cartridge cases, chlorate primers were the way to go. These had exceptional dependability - if kept dry. To that end, military ammunition was sealed with lacquer on the primer end, and with bitumen (like tar, but less viscous) on the bullet end. Go pull a bullet from a WWII .30-'06 or .45 Auto and you'll see the black bitumen seal on the bullet, and have a look at the primer and you'll see a red or amber lacquer. New lead styphnate primers, in commercial ammo since... the 1920s? (1930s?) uses those, and military ammo from Korea era uses those also (including WWII .30 Carbine ammo). The lead styphnate primers are not moisture sensitive but are sensitive to petrochemicals (oils and such).

So, new primers are good to go, but must be kept in moderate temperatures.

FWIW, I've got primers from the 1980's that still are reliable and consistent, and have been in a humid Florida garage since the 1990s.

Powder... can go bad. It will smell REALLY acidic when it does. Smells like strong, strong vinegar (acetic acid). At that point, they used to tell you to sprinkle it on your grass as a fertilizer, but I dunno if that actually works. Powder likes cooler drier spots.

I've still got Unique from the 1980's that has stored well in AC conditions.

Thanks for all the concerns and advice. I'm going to start loading them on Bawanna's loader mañana.

When I realized I was still alive I tried to get up but fell then rolled flat and fought to stay awake. I got my neighbor's attention (Neighbor of the Year in out neighborhood). He fished out my phone but my hand shook so much I couldn't hit the 9 button so he called.

I pushed real hard on my son to get rid of his aluminum ladder but he says he only uses his for sheetrock saying he can walk it the length of a room securing the top (sigh!). I don't think he lets my grandkids on it but how would he know. He has another one identical to mine for real work.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

How many getsomes does it take to change a light bulb in a garage door opener?

Just kind of slipped out of my head and got a chuckle out of it.

Ladders and lightbulbs are a wheelchair dudes arch nemesis.

Just this weekend I found about 6 florescent light tubes around the house. All bad. Wife and /or son changed them out and just leaned them someplace handy. I asked the wife how come we need to store burnt out bulbs around the house.

She said that was my job. Yeah right.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Dad had an old extension ladder that I inherited, pretty stout but very narrow. Never did like it, so I bought one of those wonder ladders that folds every which way. Best ladder I've ever used! Cost me nearly $300, and well worth it. That thing will be around for awhile. Guess I should get rid of the narrow one!
    On the primer subject: I've 20 year old primers I loaded last winter in 9mm casings, they all (200) have been shot without any failures. Stored indoors, temp controlled.
    Thanks, Old Lincoln, for sharing your story. Hopefully, it will raise our awareness to do things safely.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    My thoughts are reconfirmed. I'll load it and see what happens.

The ladder shifted a bit and collapsed trapping my feet and I did a header onto the garage floor. Ended up with a concussion that made my walk unsteady and took to using a cane. Also screwed up my memory pretty good. I'm better now and walk and memory are almost back. Best part is I feeling like getting out a bit.
    HolyKrapola Batman! I missed that part... glad you're on the mend.

I've used primers much older than 3 years and not a clue of how they were stored without any problems, however, I did inspect the cups and if the pellet showed any signs of deterioration I trashed them. Many primer pellets are treated with some lacquer to protect them from moisture so it's more than likely your primers are still good. As previously mentioned, reload a small batch and test them out.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Modern powders are "hydrophobic"...they don't absorb moisture. If stored in a normal cool dry place, should be okay. Same with primers. I still have some Remington "Cleanbore" rifle primers made probably in the late 70's.
    I do store my primers in zip lock bags....being overly cautious like I am.