Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Shield .45ACP size comparison

Default M&P Shield .45ACP size comparison

As S&W was kind enough to return my .45ACP Shield after just 4 weeks (replacing a from the factory, cosmetically damaged thumb safety), I thought I'd post a few comparison shots of it and some similarly sized competition (Springfield Armory 3.3 XDS in 45ACP, Kahr CW45, Colt Officer's ACP ).

The 45 Shield and Kahr CW45 are very, very close in size.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

The 45 Shield looks very appealing to me. I've yet to see one in person but I'm looking forward to it.

I see you opted for the one with the safety, I think I would probably prefer that also although depending on the trigger I might leave it off, but practice making sure it's off so I don't inadvertently flip in on and get confused when I meet the elephant.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I like the M&P line myself. Triggers can be hit or miss. Most issues are caused by gunk in the little vertical plunger area on the slide. I must have been one of the lucky one's, because my trigger has been fine since new. If I'm not mistaken, I think they improved the triggers a bit. Magazines are purchased without a mortgage, and recoil springs the same. I haven't had a chance to handle a newer one yet. It would be interesting to see what changes if any have happened with the trigger. For the money, not bad firearms at all.

My Stainless USPc 45 is in FBI/ATF jail for a few days.
    Going to go Light LEM with some Match parts for the trigger.
    Adding Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight NS.
    The grip is slim and the gun feels light.
    But that slide is one fat block of stainless steel - LOL!

Your 45 Shield looks interesting.
    Have you gotten a chance to shoot it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The 45 Shield looks very appealing to me. I've yet to see one in person but I'm looking forward to it.

I see you opted for the one with the safety, I think I would probably prefer that also although depending on the trigger I might leave it off, but practice making sure it's off so I don't inadvertently flip in on and get confused when I meet the elephant.
    Yeah, I like the safety version....my 9mm Shield has it as well. Lots of time on the 1911, so I'm still sweeping off the safety on guns that don't have them
    Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I like the M&P line myself. Triggers can be hit or miss. Most issues are caused by gunk in the little vertical plunger area on the slide. I must have been one of the lucky one's, because my trigger has been fine since new. If I'm not mistaken, I think they improved the triggers a bit. Magazines are purchased without a mortgage, and recoil springs the same. I haven't had a chance to handle a newer one yet. It would be interesting to see what changes if any have happened with the trigger. For the money, not bad firearms at all.
    I think the trigger on the 45 is much better than the OEM trigger on my 9 was. I ended up putting an Apex sear in the 9, but will leave the 45 as is.

I think that out of the box, the 45 has better ergonomics than the 9. I undercut the 9mm's trigger guard until it suited my tastes. The 45 is fine by me pretty much as is, but I did feel it necessary to carve the seam line down on the underside of the trigger guard.

One thing I don't care for is that if the slide is pushed slightly out of battery with a round chambered it stays that way requiring a push to go back into battery. It's not a deal breaker as the 9mm version does this, so does the XDS, and my Glock 19 (probably some others as well) and I've not had one of those be out of battery when drawing from a decent holster (friction during the draw pulling the slide forward and such). Still, I do appreciate that my CW45 returns to battery on it's own and the OACP is not going to be pushed out of battery with the safety engaged.
    EDIT 9/12: after another range session, my 45 Shield will now return return to battery on it's own if pushed slightly out of battery...a definite plus for the 45 Shield

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by gb6491; 09-12-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My Stainless USPc 45 is in FBI/ATF jail for a few days.
    Going to go Light LEM with some Match parts for the trigger.
    Adding Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight NS.
    The grip is slim and the gun feels light.
    But that slide is one fat block of stainless steel - LOL!

Your 45 Shield looks interesting.
    Have you gotten a chance to shoot it yet?
    Barth,
    I put about 30 rounds through it the day I picked it up. I liked how it shot, but stopped at 30 because everything was slightly left of my point of aim. The rear sight was drifted that way as well. It wasn't until I got home, moved the sight, reassembled the pistol, and was wiping some of the factory lube off that I noticed the thumb safety had cosmetic damage. S&W CS said send it in and sent me a label, so off it went. I'll probably get a chance to shoot it some more tomorrow.

My local shop has a full size HK45 V1 and I'm tempted by it, but that might mean either my full size USP or Compact might have to hit the road. I'm not sure it offers me enough to break up that duo.

Regards,
    Greg

Greg, the big question is...

Which one is your favorite to shoot? Favorite to carry?

I know the answer will be different for each of us. I've gone through this question with my compact 9s, and I think I like the Kahr best but the Shield is a very close 2nd.

I'm gonna crawl out on a spindly limb here, (not an easy thing for me to say the least) and guess that Greg will give the same answer.

I know he's real partial to that CW but sounds like he's pretty fond of the new Shield too. So close second applies.

I think this is a fine reason why I should get a Shield 45 so I can make a sound scientific decision.
    To be fair I reckon I should get a CW 45 since I don't got one of them neither. Strictly in the interest of science.

I've never tried this approach with the missus before, some how I have vision of the Hindenburg in my head, why is that?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just tell her you'll sell the one that comes in second place. But don't tell her it may take years to decide.

Sadly she doesn't buy any part of selling guns with me. I've used I'll buy this one and sell another one but they never seem to sell even on the few occasions where I actually tried to sell one. Not my fault really right?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan