Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: CW45 Likes Stiffer Loads

Default CW45 Likes Stiffer Loads

I was on the verge of trading my CW45 for something that (1) liked my handloads and (2) wouldn't deposit hot brass between my eyelid and glasses. I got to experimenting, after buying the most recent Hodgdon "Reloading" magazine/reloading manual and checking out some .45 loads. I've reloaded since the mid-'70's and have been an Alliant guy...Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot...but they don't exist around here anymore. So now I like to use Long Shot powder...it's available here and is a decent, although not exact, sub for Unique (there's a very up-to-date burn rate chart in that issue). It tends to like higher pressure cart's like the 9 and 40 but works here and with my .357, with my cast bullets. I discovered that, if I dumped a little more than I did before in the .45 case (following the book, of course), and stick to an overall length of not more than 1.240" (seating the SWC front band flush with the case mouth) that I have fairly well solved the kamikaze cases and the FTF, inaccuracy, etc. problems. I use my Lee copy of the old H&G 68 200 SWC and a moderate load of LS...I get 832 fps out of it and accuracy. It's not a barn-burner but I tend to like to keep loads on the "green" side of the green/red power scale (the same reason I don't drive my vehicles in the tach's red section...plus, they won't go that fast... . I find they can be accurate, be easier on the gun and my 64-yr.-old body, and are a bit cheaper to make in the long run. (Casting my own bullets helps keep costs down, too.). I understand that this is not a 25-yard target pistol but I shot 5 shots at 15 yards with 4 touching each other. Anyway, just a thought...try several loads before giving up and selling the gun. That is NOT a news flash to you; I tend to be "it doesn't like my pet load so out it goes"... am learning patience, weed-hopper! Sorry if this post should've been in the reloading section but I'm new to the forum and not sure of navigation. I DO like my CM9 - carry it in a pocket. I will start carrying the 45 when it cools off and I can hide it better, although with deep enough pockets, a feller could almost carry it there. Anyway...comments? Similar experiences?

I think you'll discover two things.

One is that all Kahr's like stiff loads when new.
    The other is that once you shoot 'em a while, you don't need to use stiff loads.

The straight back ejection WILL go away with stiff loads too, and after that you'll get some real smooth shootin' - that is - until you change the recoil spring (system). When you do, its back to the hot stuff for a bit till that spring limbers up some.

FYI, Midsouth Shooters Supply has 1 pound containers of Unique for $21.49. Suggest you order several pounds in order to offset some of that shipping and Hazmat fee they will charge you. I am an Alliant reloader too.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

So Kahrs are really like finely tuned women?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    No.......

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    I dunno. Mine's a slut.