Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: Finally got my spare P9 recoil spring

Default Finally got my spare P9 recoil spring

Months ago, I think, I crabbed about the excessive cost of Kahr shipping for one (1) measly P9 recoil spring. Well, since this is my birthday month, I received an email from MidwayUSA offering me special birthday prices so I took them up on their offer by ordering a spare P9 recoil spring. Total cost came to $14.08 which included shipping. The OEM factory spring came in the mail yesterday designated that it is for CW9 and P9 pistols. Happy camper so I thought I'd share that it is possible to obtain better than factory pricing for parts in some cases.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

I watch for deals and load up items to save on the shipping per item. I've found deals at Kahr, too... clearance prices on some parts or accessories.

I replaced my Kahr recoil springs recently and ordered some more. The P40 spring was a real bear. I ordered the new style and it was a coil or two too long. When I say too long, I mean that I could barely get the spring installed... after a LOT of cursing... and then found that the slide could not go back far enough to engage the slide lock. I cut a coil off and test that... cut another half off and finally was able to get the slide to lock back.

That was the first time I ever had any trouble installing recoil springs and tried using something in the spring to keep it inline until the guide rod showed at the front of the slide... really frustrating and it took a while! It's okay now.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I know from experience what you're talking about, my P9 recoil spring keeps wanting to make U turns as I'm trying to get the guide rod to trap all of the coils and still find it's hole in the slide. I've been putting the slide front face down on a table top with the guide rod hole hanging off the edge of the table top. This way, I can grab the slide, guide rod, and recoil spring while the other hand pushes the rod through the coils to the hole in the slide. I find that I can push down easier than trying to push sideways. Kahr recoil springs are pretty strong.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat