Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Rust on my New K9

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Generally yes, but I've suspected they're using an allow with perhaps... molybdenum in it, which would be a remediation against chloride based corrosive attack.

I'm saying that only because I've literally worn cut off shorts with my PM-45 and PM-9 in the front pocket, in the Atlantic Ocean waters (aka "the Sea"), had the pistol in my wet pocket half a day till they naturally dried out, and have suffered no ill effect with little more than a dip in a sink or bucket full of fresh water and a good sloshing about. Lube of the effected parts wear points followed.

So.... I dunno. Usually little pricks of rust here and there are embedded non-stainless. Broader swaths of rough and reddened metal is more indicative of a real corrosion problem.

Not trying to be argumentative, just falling back on my own experiences with my Kahr's. And yeah, I didn't exactly LIKE going into the Sea with my Kahr's, but there was a woman involved. You know how that goes....sometimes ya gotta.
    I'm speculating too. I have an MK9 that had pitting around the edge of the grips and in a few other spots. The pits were deeper than I would expect to find from anything embedded from machining. But, I'm just guessing.

I would say that machining the slides in something with high enough nickel content to be marine grade stainless would be quite the trick. I think it would be quite an evening hearing the stories, and you probably have some really good ones, of things done when a woman was involved.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I pulled the grips off and also have what appears to be pitting, orange spots beneath them. I'll try the naval on a small area under the grips first to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I'm speculating too. I have an MK9 that had pitting around the edge of the grips and in a few other spots. The pits were deeper than I would expect to find from anything embedded from machining. But, I'm just guessing.

I would say that machining the slides in something with high enough nickel content to be marine grade stainless would be quite the trick. I think it would be quite an evening hearing the stories, and you probably have some really good ones, of things done when a woman was involved.
    I always thought it was molybdenum that made the stuff more salt water tolerant, but... I was studying the cute tushies of the gals during class (ahem), and it was a long time ago. I did a little research on A2 (18-8 aka 304) and A4 (316), since the "stainless" screws on my fatbike were rusting badly from less exposure to the ocean waters than I gave my Kahrs. Anal retentive me, I ordered up a box of A4 stainless 5x20mm socket head cap screws to replace the Chinese ones that were really crumbling.

As far as "the woman and the beach", ya know, crazy stuff one might do thinking you'd get some. I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAvery71 View Post
    It sure sounds good in their description for removing the rust. Robar can probably make it so the problem is solved more permanently.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

This product, Innosoft B570, is working great. It is cleaning all of the rust spots from my gun and it doesn't harm the metal at all. I cleaned the spots under the grips today.

That is just about the same as Lime-A-Way... as far as active ingredients! Interesting!

Never Dull wadding has always worked for me. 10,000 sailors can't be wrong. It takes some elbow grease, however.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

The surface rust spots on the exterior for the most part did not return. However the frame under the grip panels did see some of the rust that I had cleaned off earlier return. So I cleaned again and used Renaissance Wax on tje entire firearm, applying multiple coats after stripping the firearm of oil using Gun Scrubber. I did not relube the surface after applying wax so we will see how just the wax alone protects. Hopefully it works as advertised.

Well, after handling, range time, dry firing, etc. No rust spots. Renaissance Wax gets a thumbs up.