Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't see that coming

Default Didn't see that coming

So I'm at my favorite local gun shop looking at an HK45. I've been thinking about trading in a couple of pistols to finance a deal on the HK45 and kinda of ***** out loud about the price of new HK poly guns. That leads to some talk about the differences in price between the striker fired HK pistols and those with hammers. It's a good conversation with a P30 and a VP9 being pulled from the cabinet for some first hand comparison. The conversation eventually gets back to the HK45. I ask if their fee on incoming used guns is still the same (I've seen some good deals for used HK45s on GB) and find it is, but that the fee for new guns is now the same. I'm still balking at the cost of poly when, out of the blue, a friend mentions that knows of a nice S&W 4506 that might be available for an excellent price. I'm interested. He sends me this photo a little latter:
    I
    I'm more than interested and, after seeing it first hand, a deal is done. I really like this pistol. I made an immediate trip to the range with it. I have to say that in my rush to try it out, I neglected to see how well it was lubed....fired off 41 rounds without issue, but when I got it home I found it was bone dry. I'm liking it even more So here are some photos of it (I've replaced the Hogue grips with the factory grips):

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by gb6491; 09-30-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Nice find, Greg. I don't remember why I got rid of mine... hated the ambi-safety/decocker on the slide, though... on the 645, too. I'm always having to sell things to pay for the latest toys or "needs"... can't afford to "collect" guns!

I remember selling that one and my Walther PPK/S to the same guy at a "garage sale".

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've been seeing a lot more of the older S&W semi's for sale lately in my neck of the woods. They are good shooters, and yours seems to be in good condition.............................

I have a friend that owns one, he claims it was designed for 10mm and then they did a .45 ACP model. He use his to test out all of his "hot" 45 loads. He still has all his fingers, so I guess it's true, the 4506 is a TANK of gun.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I have a friend that owns one, he claims it was designed for 10mm and then they did a .45 ACP model. He use his to test out all of his "hot" 45 loads. He still has all his fingers, so I guess it's true, the 4506 is a TANK of gun.
    I have a 10mm. Eyeballing them, they are pretty close in size. I'll have to break them down and do a side by side comparison.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Nice find Greg, I have one exactly like it and it's one of my favorite pistols....It is true they started out as a 10 mm so they are built like a tank....Sonny Crockett had one in "Miami Vice" so for me that increases the cool factor for the 4506....It's heavy but it makes even hot 45 ammo feel like 9.....Nice guns for a great price and Smith will still fix anything that breaks free of charge....What's not to like!

I had a 4516. It served me well. I never liked the double action first shot. Was a good gun.

A couple LAPD SWAT guys I did some remodeling for carried the 4506? They called the first shot the cocking round.
    One said it almost always went into the floor long before he got the pistol up to aiming level. Had a few bad guys give up at that point when they realized he wasn't messing around.

They get away with a lot of stuff in LA or at least they used to.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I had a 4516. It served me well. I never liked the double action first shot. Was a good gun.

A couple LAPD SWAT guys I did some remodeling for carried the 4506? They called the first shot the cocking round.
    One said it almost always went into the floor long before he got the pistol up to aiming level. Had a few bad guys give up at that point when they realized he wasn't messing around.

They get away with a lot of stuff in LA or at least they used to.
    Darn, they sound like the guys in "Street Kings"...in which Keanu Reeves uses a 4506

....and I see Michael Chiklis used one in "The Shield"

...I've a leather jacket like that somewhere around here...

I adjusted the sights a bit on the 4506 and put 25 rounds through it today.

That's off hand at 10yds, so I think I leave them where they are now ....and work on the fliers.
    Regards,
    Greg

Nice pistol. The 3rd gen S&W have always been favorites of mine. Ten or twelve years ago I had five or six, but the only one I have left is a CS45. I'm also an HK fan, and if I left the house knowing I was to be in a fight, I'd be carrying my HK45c.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    Nice pistol. The 3rd gen S&W have always been favorites of mine. Ten or twelve years ago I had five or six, but the only one I have left is a CS45. I'm also an HK fan, and if I left the house knowing I was to be in a fight, I'd be carrying my HK45c.
    Good friend of mine has a 4506.It's on of his favorite guns.As for me?Everyone knows I'm mostly a Hk guy.Lately my new Stainless USP Compact 45 is my go to handgun.