CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My local police range.

Default My local police range.

I normally shoot at the local police range because it is close, usually have it to my self, costs nothing, and it is a nice outdoor range. Now it is closed indefinitely. Some people went in with shotguns and made a mess of the place. They destroyed the 25 yd target holders, pulled out a 100 yard target holder and moved it up to 25 yds and destroyed it. They brought the plastic garbage barrels in and shot the hell out of them. They moved a couple of shooting benches out from under the shelters and left them. Not really a big deal there. The worst is that they blasted holes in the tin roofs over the shooting shelters. No word on if they will ever open it to the public again or not. I sure hope they catch the low lifes that did it. So now I have about a 45 minute drive each way to reach a club range. Fortunately the club is cheap to join and it is a nice range.

It's always the a holes who have to take everyone else's pleasure away. I DO hope they find them................maybe employ them for free to fix everything that they ruined. I would say that they should be shot, but that would be illegal....................................

There's a destructive mechanism in a small percentage of humans. Just have to tear stuff up. Ruin it for the vast majority of folks that take care of stuff.

I remember in school, restrooms always getting trashed and tore up. What the heck do these people think? They never gonna need a restroom again.

Sad part is they destroy and the rest of us do without and pay to repair.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I bet this vandalism event was geared toward the anti cop sentiment that is so mainstream lately. It would be nice if people organized fundraisers and repaired the facility. Take a negative and build something bigger --like a better facility and a better community. Let the police know that the community cares. Perhaps just an announcement in your area that donations are accepted for this you would see a lot of shooters in the area contributing--esp when the next range is so far away. Car washes, bake sales, Girl scouts, boy scouts, local businesses posting flyers or allowing donation boxes. I dunno, I'm full of caca most the time.
    I am the Living Man

I think it's a great idea myself. I guess the only downfall is the word gets out and get the range all fixed up and a little love bestowed on the police department but a bunch of shooters who didn't realize the range was there or didn't know they could shoot there now know about it and now dustnchips never has the range to himself again?

Still like your plan, it's the right thing to do.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Dustnchips, you had a nice thing going and the "icing on the cake" was it didn't cost you anything. I doubt that the police range will ever be open to the public again. In retrospect, once the police realize that any accident occurring on the range could result in them being sued, makes it twice as likely that it will no longer be open to the public again. As previously posted, I also hope those vandals that trashed the range get caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

That's lawyer talk right there.

This is another common occurrence whereby a few miscreants tear stuff up and everybody else gets punished.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

One solution is to require every shooting range to have adequate security camera coverage. A few hundred $$$ extra Shouldn't be that out of reach for any official range. It might save the range owners from a successful lawsuit too, besides catching vandals like those in the OP.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I don't know Armybrat, I don't like range officers or employees looking over my shoulder, not sure having candid camera at the range would be much more palatable.

The range over by where we vacation each summer is also a county range. Sheriff's and others train there. Never seen them there. Often times during the week we get it to ourselves. There's signs of slobs (not really vandals) and we've seen folks cleaning up mess's they didn't make.

There's a guy that goes there every so often and kind of organizes, mows the weeds down and stuff.

There's a really nice toilet building like a porta potty deal but was much nicer. It's of course completely trashed, just can't figure out why people want to destroy bathrooms, just don't get it.

I don't know what the answer is, I know I don't like having to drive an hour each way to shoot but have little choice at this point.

Pondering a big long tube out my man cave window. Bury it, sound suppress and shoot away. Be costly.
    It's legal to shoot at my place but it's built up enough that every shot somebody complains so only a matter of time before it won't be legal.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I feel very fortunate that a great outdoor range is only mile from my house. It is owned by the city and run by the police department. Except for occasional NRA and muzzle loader weekend meets it is open to the public year around. Everyone really enjoys it and takes care of it. I hope it stays that way. It is a rural farming area so I believe we have a different kind of folks than some areas have. Hats off to the officers who see we have this privilege.