Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little story about lubrication.

Default A little story about lubrication.

I don't post this to slander or criticize these companies, well actually deep down I guess I do but just sharing a couple recent experiences.

We'll start with yesterday. Our department sniper is extremely OCD especially about maintaining his rifle. He had monthly training. Him and the other regional snipers shoot to qualify and practice etc.
    His rifle is a custom ordered Robar Remington 700 with all the bells and whistles. It has aproximately 1500 rounds fired and he keeps a meticulous record.

Well yesterday he gets all set up on the target very first shot and "Click". Quickly cycles the bolt for a second shot and "Click". He swallowed his stomach, anxiety overwhelmed him. 7 or 8 misfires or more. Gave the rounds that wouldn't fire to another guy and they fired fine.
    He text me as he's getting the rope ready to hang himself, he's deeply, deeply disturbed. Says he's heading back, time to go home but don't go home, we need to figure this out.
    I figure it's a bolt rifle, don't get much simpler, firing pin, spring, something easy.

Well we take it down (the bolt) and the first thing I notice is it's quite sticky. He's been a big advocate of Frog Lube last 6 months or so especially for the Glocks on the motor guys. Anyhow we mess around but the firing pin and spring being sticky is bugging the heck out of me. I asked him if he put Frog Lube on it. He said no.....I smelled it, smelled like Frog Lube. Had him smell it, hmmm maybe I did. I said it feels sticky.
    He was getting good primer hits, the firing pin sounded like it was dropping smartly as it should but apparently slowed down just enough it wasn't hitting hard enough.
    I know when we did the Glocks we did it by the letter, heated the gun with a hair dryer, used the conditioner, then the regular lube. I assume he did the same with the 700. He said he cleans the rifle every time but only disassembles the bolt annually. I suspect he'll be doing that more frequently and he won't be using Frog Lube in there no more.

Well long story short we headed to the solvent tank and cleaned the heck out of it. Blew it dry, put it back together, sent him back to the range and 20 rounds no issues.
    No more Frog Lube. Work order to collect the Glocks from the motors and get that glue off of them poste haste.

Same guy has a nice Colt Rail Gun, meticulous, dehorned, set up just the way he wants it. He was on a FireClean mood right before the Frog Lube mood.
    Colt never failed, suddenly failing right and left. Same thing, all gummed up. (Really gummed up) The funny thing is it was incredibly tough to get that stuff off. Solvent didn't really want to cut it.
    Mr. Meticulous, he even took the thumb safety plunger spring and frog lubed it. It was practically glued in the channel. Spent alot of time de Firecleaning that Colt I'll tell ya.

Anyhow I guess this just reinforces the theory of not lubricating the striker or channel in our Kahrs or perhaps any other gun for that matter.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I clean guns often and stick with simple products: Ballistol, RemOil. So there's no need for any new-fangled stuff.

Sincerely,
    Just as Meticulous.
    ​O|||||||O

Good post. Nothing like tried and true practices sometimes. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I, almost, got on the frog lube bandwagon. It sounds fantastic, but then I decided to wait a while. I'm glad I did. Hoppe's is good enough for my guns.

I've always been a clean your guns after you shoot em and never felt no need for any fancy oils.

Some people are obsessed with using the newest, trickest high speed low drag operator stuff that comes out.

I prefer to stick with the old tried and true stuff. Any oil will work if you replace it once in awhile.

Poor guy was just a wreck when that rifle didn't fire and guess I can't blame him but he used the stuff and knew I really wasn't an advocate of the stuff myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I use the same stuff people have been using for 100 years, I see no need to change!

Well guns ain't transmissions. They don't need to bathe in lubricant.

The tried and true happens to be tried and true for good reason.

My own idea is to match the lube to the purpose. That is - gooey and sticky and thick on things that take a pounding, thin and slippery on things that need to slide. Locking lugs and such need different lube than strikers which need hardly any, or none. Firing pins need the same as a striker. Bolt lugs about the same as barrel lugs on an autoloading pistol.

Most of these new products promise to last forever, and reduce cleaning efforts. I'm with the Colonel, just clean and lube when you use them and no issues. My dad used 3-In-1 oil his entire life, never had an issue.
    I have heard lots of Frog Lube stories like this one, and it has scared me off the new stuff.
    NRA Benefactor

Some say,
    Frog Lube=coconut oil
    Fireclean=vegetable oil
    Both will work if used properly but so will spit.
    Oil in firing pin or striker channels can be asking for trouble, especially in cold weather conditions.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Only trouble I had with my CM9 is when I over oiled it. Oiled the extractor real, real good. Next time at the range the brass flew back and hit me in the forehead. Left a mark. Took it home and throughly cleaned it, oiled it correctly and miracle! Problem solved. Always have used Hoppe's and will continue to do so. (In the right places.)