Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A little story about lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Maybe we didn't clean well enough before the first application and it reacted badly.
    Applied as per their instructions, Frog Glue didn't work for me on a cold AZ morning quail hunt. The walk back to my Jeep and that I once again had a repeating arm after slapping some 10W30 on my 11-48 left me with no motivation to continue the use of FL. I didn't do any special cleaning at the Jeep, just pulled the dipstick and dripped oil into the action. Perhaps there are lubes that FL interacts badly with, but that wasn't my experience with motor oil.
    However, to each his own.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

So as I mentioned previously, I lubed my Kahrs with a light application of Hoppes. Since it's apparently harmful to nickel plating I'm wondering about the wisdom of even doing that.

I've used mostly Hoppes on my Kahrs, I use it sparingly on all guns, don't soak them in it or anything like that.

I consider it a solvent and wipe it all off and then oil with something else.

I've not seen any evidence of issues to be concerned about.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    So as I mentioned previously, I lubed my Kahrs with a light application of Hoppes. Since it's apparently harmful to nickel plating I'm wondering about the wisdom of even doing that.
    I have a two-tone P9 barrel caused by leaving the chamber end of my barrel to soak for ten minutes or so in a jar of Hoppe's. Bad mojo! Don't soak nickel plated parts in Hoppe's. A wipe-on/wipe-off will not likely hurt but use your own judgement. The Hoppe's label even warns of it attacking nickel but it's in fine print which I failed to read because I was too lazy to go get my reading glasses. I still occasionally swab out the bore with Hoppe's but no more soaking! The damage is mostly cosmetic but still a reminder of the dangers in NOT carefully reading labels.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've used mostly Hoppes on my Kahrs, I use it sparingly on all guns, don't soak them in it or anything like that.

I consider it a solvent and wipe it all off and then oil with something else.

I've not seen any evidence of issues to be concerned about.
    +1 On that. We use hoppes and wipe it off have have never had any damage!

Has anybody used Blu or Black Diamond products? The Blu is advertised to remove rust.