Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A little story about lubrication.

I'm anxious to hear your results.

I keep hearing slippery, slick surface, but that Colt Rail Gun and Rifle bolt were genuinely sticky. I could almost hold it under my finger like that polygrip commercial for them false choppers, the plastic real looking ones, not the wooden ones like George Washington had.

I hope yours are still slippery but I'll never understand why we'd have different results but there's lots of things I don't understand so I'll be ok, really I will.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    +1.

I was sometimes self conscious about carrying concealed with a freshly Ballistol cleaned gun. People look at you like you need to wash your socks more often. At my age, people don't bat an eye if they smell the "Icy Hot" aroma that FrogLube has. I like to think of it as olfactory camouflage.
    I have come to notice, the scent to Ballistol mixed with the odor of day old Depends really turns people off.
    Getting old isn't for sissies.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Try boiling the parts in hot water to get that gummy stuff off. Dad's regiment did that with their small arms in the 1943 Aleutian Campaign.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Try boiling the parts in hot water to get that gummy stuff off. Dad's regiment did that with their small arms in the 1943 Aleutian Campaign.
    That's the answer right there. Then though, follow up with spraying it down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Then, lube lightly and reassemble.

Tim

Hoppe's, rem oil, and a little slip 2,000. = no problems.
    Besides Hoppe's smells good.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I have come to notice, the scent to Ballistol mixed with the odor of day old Depends really turns people off.
    To really piss off the missus, I have used Hoppe's Bench Rest, Gunk Engine Bright and the worst of the worst... PB Blaster!

Those smells are a sure fire one way ticket to the casa del pooch.

I would guess some people made lots of money with be latest blah blah blah. But at the end of the day the good old fashion stuff never failed and probably never will.
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

I have actually come to kinda like the smell of Ballistol, cleaned my carry piece with it this morning. It never even crossed my mind that others could smell the stuff. I clean with ballistol, then use synthetic ATF and Super lube. The super lube is odorless, but the ATF is sort of smelly, maybe that overpowers the Ballistol, and everyone I encounter things I'm a grease monkey or something. Probably the something.
    NRA Benefactor

I have never heard of lubing the firing pin in a bolt rifle. Always run them dry.
    Tomorrow I am ordering an Anderson Tactical AM15 with RF85. Its and AR that you do not lube. They put 4000 rounds through one in 4 hours and melted down the hand guard but the gun kept functioning. In the test against an oiled gun, the oiled gun started to have failures after 1000 rounds. You clean the gun with soap and water!!! No oil to get sticky or gather dust. Seems like a great idea and I hope it is worth the $250 upcharge over the regular version. It's not a coating, but some kind of treatment in the metal that reduces the friction by 85% over a standard oiled gun. It came down to the Anderson in a carbine length gas tube with the RF85 treatment or an Aero Precision with a mid length gas tube. I like the idea of putting it away for a month or two and just grabbing it and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post
    ......spraying it down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
    This. I do this to every weapon I put froglube on, and that would be every handgun I own. Froglube doesn't play well with other lube, and I've seen it make that sticky mess on a knife I treated without spraying it down first.

I check all my weapons when they leave the safe, and when they go back in. Never a problem with any of them, and have taken them to the range in some sub freezing temps. Some of my guns have never had anything but froglube on them after stripping all the factory lube off.

Not a fan of froglube degreaser. Gunscrubber/brake cleaner (synthetic safe) works much better, and is a lot quicker. It gets ALL of the other lube off, and out of places it doesn't need to be - like firing pin channels. I respray through that little access hole every few cleanings just to be on the safe side, and disassemble my carry pieces and clean/check that channel every few months. No problem so far...