CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars, what all do y'all play?

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    We are on the road (5th wheel gypsies) until June, with a trip home for the holidays and doctor appointments. Therefore, I only have the Huber with me, so I'll try to post a picture of it……
    First I need to search the forum on how to post pictures.
    Thanks! I bet evenings around the camp fire are pretty fun. Do you ever run into any fellow pickers in your travels?

Hit "go advanced"
    click on the little paper clip / attachment icon
    that will bring up a box where you can browse your pictures folder, select a picture and upload.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Fender blackface amps:

2 Champs
    my own design 2x 6v6 amp
    my own design 1x 6v6 amp
    Brown Princeton
    Tremolux in 2x10 cabinet
    Bassman in 2x10 cabinet
    Bandmaster 2x12
    Super Reverb
    Showman in1x15 Cabinet

Various Guitars:
    (old)
    4 Telecasters from 66 to 78
    78 Strat
    73 Guild S100
    (modern)
    2 ES-333s one w/ Bigsby
    Les Paul Standard w BB-Tak Japan market pickups
    Les Paul BFG refinshed in gloss teal nitro
    SG Special w HBs
    SG Special w P90s
    Adamas SMT
    and other assorted cheapies like Tacoma and Seagull
    Yeah, I tend to gravitate toward the cheapies. I wise man once told me: "nothing's more satisfying than finding a cheap guitar that plays awesome".
    You got some really groovy Fender stuff on that list. Heck, it's all petty cool.
    ​O|||||||O

I sold all my "real" guitars years ago, but I kept the ones I built.

First one I built in my college woodshop elective class, 1984, and it's my favorite. The mahogany has a warm resonance that just sounds darn nice. The pickups are a PAF and a vintage Strat (both reproductions made in 1984). The neck was bought from a catalog (it says, "Fender Stratocumulus" in letters I Xeroxed onto stickyback mylar). My daughter uses it now for practice at home, for her 10th grade guitar elective.

Then I built the space shuttle guitar from some woodshop maple, and attempted to lay my own frets - never again. It's nothing but a prototype, it plays like crap.

Finally, I bought a mahogany Tele body and 24" Strat neck and put Strat pickups in the last one. I did the 24" neck because Brian May's guitar has a 24" neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Y"nothing's more satisfying than finding a cheap guitar that plays awesome".
    I bought a red plastic toy guitar at Sears decades ago, it was probably 18" long total and cost ten bucks or less. I put real nylon strings on it, and it was one of the most fun instruments I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I broke out a couple of guitars this past Sunday: took 'em apart, cleaned 'em up and tweaked their set-ups. The process got me thinking about the many similarities between "collecting" guitars vs. guns. Finding gems, getting them running right, practicing with them...all brings the same satisfaction and enjoyment. So. For you fellow pickers out there. What all do y'all play? And what makes it special to you?

Here's my Stratofakester among a collection of small amps. I got the guitar about 25 years ago from a guy who needed money. It was a kit guitar that he built himself. The best thing about it was a great paint job and some decent hardware. It had some issues but I've corrected those over the years. It now plays and sounds great! I was setting it up thinking maybe I'd sell it for something more modern. Nope. She stays.
    That's a nice Beatle amp................back in the day, when you only needed to know 3 chords(come to think of it, it's all you need to know now) My first was a Danelectro with all sorts of sparkles...........cost me $45 which was a lot then. Then I managed to save some denaro and bought a beautiful red Gretch solid body. $400, and that WAS a lot of money. That guitar always stayed in tune. Wish I had the Danelectro now, probably worth a few bucks. If it would have been the one with the amp in the case, probably a lot more.

When I was a poor kid in college (as opposed to a poor kid today) I would bike down to the nearest guitar store and play with the merchandise. They had a Strat in what they called a blueburst paint scheme, which was unique to about 1982. That was when Fender made everything in USA and was just coming out with their vintage reproduction series. That blueburst was top of the line new production and the sweetest playing Strat I've ever played, and I wanted it bad, but it was something like $800-900 which was out of the question so it got away from me. Never owned a Strat but had a '79 Tele that I loved.

Can't play anymore, (nerve damage in the left arm from some time back) used to play a Bullet Strat from the import side of Fender, then later a five string Ibanez bass. Last amp I had was a Krank, forget which one but it was small.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

jlottmc, dude, thanks for stopping by, your visits are far to infrequent of late.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

PRS Hollowbody II Violin Amber with a Piezo pickup. Also have a custom built strat in natural wood grain and an Epiphone Sheraton.

Been busy lately, have a new "leaderpship" team at work. Been hoping around like a one legged frog on a hot skillet.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.