Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A guide rod system by default???

I thought about the Wolff assembly for mine, but went with the Kahr stainless one. It does look good.

Spring changes would be easy with the Wolff assembly, as would the ability to clean it.

I also saved the original guide rod assembly, and cut the spare one I bought when I bought the stainless rod. This all stainless new assembly is the only one I've ever used in my MK9, and it's been flawless for about 800 rounds. I may whistle a different tune when it comes time to change those springs though.

Too bad Lakeline doesn't make an all stainless unit like the Wolff one. Al could do this better....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I thought about the Wolff assembly for mine, but went with the Kahr stainless one. It does look good.

Spring changes would be easy with the Wolff assembly, as would the ability to clean it.

I also saved the original guide rod assembly, and cut the spare one I bought when I bought the stainless rod. This all stainless new assembly is the only one I've ever used in my MK9, and it's been flawless for about 800 rounds. I may whistle a different tune when it comes time to change those springs though.

Too bad Lakeline doesn't make an all stainless unit like the Wolff one. Al could do this better....
    If I thought I could sell enough of them, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have the Wolff setup on mine.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I went stainless steel as well, and while the upgrade was fairly cheap, I also wondered why Kahr just didn't do it in the first place. For a gun that just exudes quality--far more, IMHO, than competitors like the Solo--it really is an odd shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    .... Seems like I'll be able to use the outer (larger tube) guide rod. Especially since it was out of stainless and the Wolff one (even though they spent the better part of their advertising bad mouthing plastic parts) was made of plastic. I found that last situation especially funny.....
    Hmm, I must have just read right over that previously. The Wolff guide rod set for Kahr MK series pistols I have is all steel.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I went stainless steel as well, and while the upgrade was fairly cheap, I also wondered why Kahr just didn't do it in the first place. For a gun that just exudes quality--far more, IMHO, than competitors like the Solo--it really is an odd shortcut.
    I don't know if I'd call it a "shortcut". The OEM system for the MK series is of sufficient quality, works well, and I don't recall reading of any problems with the parts (outside normal spring fatigue).
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post

I don't know if I'd call it a "shortcut". The OEM system for the MK series is of sufficient quality, works well, and I don't recall reading of any problems with the parts (outside normal spring fatigue).
    Regards,
    Greg
    Two things:

1) People buy SS upgrades because of durability and lesser recoil. You may argue that those improvements are marginal...fair enough.
    2) The MK9, to my eyes, is one of the most attractive pocket handguns available. But that plastic guide rod just sticks out like a nasty rash on a supermodel. Purely subjective? Sure. But for a pistol that sells for about $700, why not get rid of that eyesore?

Two things:

1) People buy SS upgrades because of durability and lesser recoil. You may argue that those improvements are marginal...fair enough.
    2) The MK9, to my eyes, is one of the most attractive pocket handguns available. But that plastic guide rod just sticks out like a nasty rash on a supermodel. Purely subjective? Sure. But for a pistol that sells for about $700, why not get rid of that eyesore?
    I whole heartedly agree with your assessment!

Two things:

1)I didn't say anything about the effectiveness of "ss upgrades", nor did I argue against them. I merely opined that I didn't know if I'd call the OEM system a shortcut., but I'll say again that I believe it's a wholly serviceable unit with, as far as I know, an excellent track record.
    2) I made no argument against folks changing out the OEM system for something that looks better to their eyes. I'd have no complaint with Kahr doing likewise as long as the new worked as well as the old.

Subjectively, I think the the MK series plastic guide rod goes quite well with the rubber grips

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, I'm currently testing the Wolff guide rod set in my MK9. It seems to work fine, but I think will need some plastic surgery before long...then again it might provide some stand off if I ever try to press the muzzle up against something

Merry Christmas to all!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Fair enough, GB. We can agree to disagree.

And please keep us posted on how the Wolff setup works out.

Greg,

I'll have to get my MK9 out this weekend. I don't remember the Wolff guide rod sticking out like that. But, I'll get a photo to be sure.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    Greg,

I'll have to get my MK9 out this weekend. I don't remember the Wolff guide rod sticking out like that. But, I'll get a photo to be sure.
    Hey Al, thanks! After reading your post, I surfed the ol' inter-web looking for photos of the Wolff set installed in a MK series pistol. From what I saw, it looks like you are spot on about the rod sticking out. I think both pieces may be a little proud. Oh well, this was an eBay purchase. The gent that sold it is a solid citizen and listed it as used, but couldn't remember if it had a stock or heavier spring; so who knows what the back story is.
    Regards,
    Greg