Xssights   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C.o.l.t.

Question C.o.l.t.

I'm smitten. I've always been a Ruger SA revolver fan. But I got a real up-close look at an Uberti Colt clone recently and as soon as I pulled the hammer back and felt those four clicks I was hooked. I gotta muster up the gumption to sell the Rugers so I can justify buying more. Has anyone had much experience with Uberti? Heard anything good or bad? They seem to be the best clone available. Any other recommendations? Finding the real deal at any kind of affordable price seems a longshot.
    ​O|||||||O

I don't have an Uberti, I have a Colt. And I wish I HAD bought an Uberti. I bought my Colt SAA (nickel 5 1/2" .45) back in the early nineties, I think, when they were Colt Custom Shop items (don't know if they still are). It cost way more than I could easily afford but I had wanted one since I was a boy. New, out of the box, it had a broken half-cock notch and the sights were pretty far off.

I sent it back to Colt for repairs. When I got it back, it still wouldn't shoot worth a darn. The cylinder throats are huge (a .454 bullet will easily drop clean through). It is a beautiful revolver, but it's not a shooter. If I had bought it as an investment, to sit in the box with the cylinder never even having been turned, it would be OK, but I wanted a piece of history I could shoot and enjoy.

Tight groups,
    Bob

^^^ Thanks. These are just fun guns for me so I need to temper my expectations. There's no need to invest a couple thousand on a safe queen. The Uberti model I handled was indeed impressive. It was at a gunshow and all zip-tied up. I wasn't a buyer so I didn't ask the seller to cut it loose. So I couldn't check timing and stuff. But fit and finish were fine...especially the grips...which is a Ruger SA weakness. It's got me pining to see one again.
    ​O|||||||O

I have a little Birdshead 45 Colt Uberti. I got a Ruger Birdshead about the same time. I gave the Ruger to my son, it's a great gun and I like it, but I actually prefer the Uberti. It's lighter, feels better in my hand and I like the old style half cock, leave a hole empty.

I actually have a good belt holster for it and carry it now and then.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

At one time.... Colt SAAs were built on some parts actually made by Uberty. Cannot say this is still true.

Uberti isn't bad! There are some USA made SAA's too.

I'll keep my Ruger though. New Vaquero shoots like a DREAM, and is regulated spot on at 50 feet (never shot it further)

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    At one time.... Colt SAAs were built on some parts actually made by Uberty. Cannot say this is still true.

Uberti isn't bad! There are some USA made SAA's too.

I'll keep my Ruger though. New Vaquero shoots like a DREAM, and is regulated spot on at 50 feet (never shot it further)
    Yes. I've been web-searching and heard similar. At some point Uberti was involved in manufacturing some Colt models and/or parts. That's quite an endorsement. I'm curious about any USA made SAAs. But I've only found a couple now-out-of-business companies in my searches: US Fire Arms, for example, made great Colt clones but closed up 5-6 years ago. It seems the Italians are the only ones to figure out how to balance quality with price point.

Ruger makes a fine product and it's only the Vaqueros that are on the chopping block. I seem to find myself wanting a little more authentic representation.

I'm thinking about this a little too hard but that's half the fun IMHO. I haven't done much revolver shopping in awhile and I think I'll milk this opportunity. Who am I kidding? I'll be popping into gun stores every day until I get one.
    ​O|||||||O

Uberti has been around a long time, starting up around the beginning of SASS. They make a very close copy of the SA Colts and many distributers are selling Ubertis under their own names e.g. Cimarron Firearms. They make a quality firearm and have a good reputation among the cowboy shooter crowd. If you want a Colt SA but can better afford a Colt clone, you would be hard pressed to find a better one than Uberti. My two cents and I am in no way associated with Uberti or SASS.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

I was just looking at never fired Uberti .357 for $395, an 1873 Uberti Cattleman .45 cal for $400, along with a Ruger Super Blackhawk Convertible Bisley in .45 Colt, with a .45 acp. cylinder for $700 on Armslist Wi.

Coming home from a vacation couple summers ago, stopped in a shop and they had a Uberti with about a 14 or 16" barrel. Never seen anything like it. Almost a walking stick. I wanted it so bad but it was 357. Had it been 45 Colt, I'd own it now.

For as long as the barrel was it really wasn't all that bow heavy. My wife even held it up and was surprised.

Be tough to find an ankle rig for something like that but I'd figure out a way, you just know I would.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The New Vaquero is about 4oz heavier than a SAA of the same (general) barrel length. That's about 10 percent, significant.

On the other hand, the new SAA's ain't made like they used to be. The base pin bushing is gone, and other minor changes. And on the other, other hand, you can add a base pin bushing to the Ruger or current Colt, without too much bother at all, if you or your smithy knows how to use a lathe. The Ruger is a touch easier to do, and a bit strong when done, but not terribly so.