Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: PM9 - New Recoil Spring Assembly - All Good

Default PM9 - New Recoil Spring Assembly - All Good

Well, after at least 2,800 rounds, well past the recommended 1,200 rounds to replace it, the captive recoil spring assembly of my stalwart PM9 gave up the ghost. It completely came apart with the front nut coming off. No worries. I ordered a new set from Kahr, and it arrived in my mailbox just days later via USPS.

I cleaned it and lightly lubed it, then installed it in my PM9. It was TIGHT, ... and, it fit. Please folks, do not cut coils off the spring to make it easier to install.

Then, I took it to the range today and put 50 rounds of Aguila 124gr 9mm and 50 rounds of Speer Lawman 124gr through it. 100 perfect cycles. After I clean it tonight, back on my hip it goes. What a remarkably accurate small gun.

p.s., thank you to my Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm for pulling backup duty for the last couple days.

It's all good.

Tim

Very good! I don't keep up with round counts, but when I start having problems that a new recoil spring or assembly can fix, I replace it with a spare. I recently had to replace those on one or two Kahrs, so I ordered new ones for all and replaced them all.

I did get the "new versions" and HAD to cut a coil or so off so that the slide could lock back... definitely something I wouldn't advise anyone to do. You can't go by length. I knew what I was getting into when I ordered the new springs for my older pistols, so I cut the minimum off for functionality, carefully testing until the slide would just lock back.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've also replaced the recoil spring assembly with a new one recently, and noticed that the new version is so much stronger than the one came with the gun. In fact it was so strong that even after racking the slide by hand like a hundred times and leaving the slide held open for a couple of days, I still experienced some FTEject problems with the commercial ammo that I never had any issue with because the the slide did not go back as far as it needed. After cutting about 3/4 of a coil off the outer spring, the problem went away.

I've kept my old spring and use it at the range after I've put a couple of mags. through my carry spring. It gives me the best of both worlds.
    My old spring has more than 3,000 rounds with no failures but I still wouldn't trust it for carry.