Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembering Veterans this day.

I just Googled it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Coast_Guard

The United States Armed Forces[6] are the federal armed forces of the United States. They consist of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard.[7] The President of the United States is the military's overall head, and helps form military policy with the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), a federal executive department, acting as the principal organ by which military policy is carried out.

Wiki says "The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces[14] and one of the country's seven uniformed services."

I'll have to read that to see what the SEVEN are!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I posted from Wikipedia, but have you not noticed that they have ships with cannons and missiles, too??
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Still not what I was taught. I've had conversations with some coasties, and they were emphatic that they were not armed forces.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Coast Guard is armed forces but they are rescue oriented.
    The few Coast Guard boats I've seen had guns. When we went on a cruise to Alaska years ago it happened to be about Sea Fair time and the Navy had some ships people could tour tied up right behind our cruise ship.
    Coast Guard had several small boats and they kept all boat traffic in the area far away from those Navy ships.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I was in the Navy from 77-85, back then the Coast Guard was part of the DOT, but would be transferred tot the DOD in time of war.
    After 9/11 they became part of Home Land Security, I do not know if they would still transfer in time of war.

Back when I was in the running joke was, that anyone who couldn't swim joined the Coast Guard, because if they sank, you could wade in.

I attended a couple of training classes where Coasties attended too, also used to wear the same Crows and rating badges as real Navy.
    Most Coast Guard Ships did not have any major weapons, one small cannon, and a few light machine guns.
    NRA Benefactor

Title 14, Part 1, Chapter 1 of the United States Code reads "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy."
    So I'm guessing that an active duty Coastie's ID will read somwhere "Armed Forces of the United States".
    I had one that read that when I was an active duty Marine, but my Marine Corps retired ID reads "United States Uniformed Services" at the top.
    BTW, after the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, the other two uniformed services are the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

My Air Force retired ID states; "United States Uniformed Services" across the top.

Finally, a definitive answer. Thank you.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.