Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transfer of a firearm

Default Transfer of a firearm

I would like to transfer a firearm to our son as a gift. Unfortunately we live in MI and he lives in NV. I talked to our FFL and she says a Michigan FFL would not take care of that, they would be worried about shipping it. I told her that we would be traveling to NV in Dec. and the again in Feb.,
    She said I should check with a FFL in NV. Our son says you can transfer a handgun without paper work. Plus I know that a new gun law past in Nov., so everything may have changed. Anyway, I'm confused and want to take care of this legally, so I'm asking for some advise.

Take it to him and hand it directly to him.

Here in Washington this year they passed a law where all handgun have to be transferred thru an FFL.

I'm still seeing very very few transfers for what they call private transfers.
    The only real difference is at the gun show. You can't buy from a private party and walk out, you have to go to an FFL table and transfer the thing.

I would not hesitate to transfer the gun to a family member and probably wouldn't lose any sleep transferring to somebody I know. No way to track it.

If you know that your son isn't qualified to own a gun (not likely), that's a different deal. It's a gift.........

I thought NV was pretty good on stuff. But I can't say for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

pm sent

Doing the same thing with my son who lives in TX. Assuming there is no reason he/she would not be allowed to have a firearm, pack and declare it in checked baggage and give it to him on arrival.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Interesting your FFL wouldn't do it. The three closest to me in Kalamazoo would, they do it all the time.

Texas is a Free State as are neighboring states. Weapons tranfers unless it is Class 3 weapon is a case of handing it to them. Really nothing more here or in other Free States.

Thanks for all the replies.
    One more question, do I have to let the Michigan Police know that I no longer own the gun? I think I'll call them.
    Our son is solid but if the gun is ever stolen I don't want it to still be in my name.

If you're concerned about being a past owner, make a bill of sale to your son and each of you keep a copy. The police won't care if you sell your guns, at least I hope our country hasn't come to that yet.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

When in doubt, check the laws. Each state has firearm site, here in California its the Attorney Generals site.

Here, found this http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...654---,00.html
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I agree with check laws. After sister and her husband's house burned to the ground a couple years back I "gave" them several firearms to help get them back in business. They live in PA and I'm in Colorado. PA requires ownership transfer paperwork, even wrt gift to family members. PA does, however, allow loaning guns between CC permit holders. So these are now on hand delivered, permanent loan. Colorado requires transfer paper between private parties. Though that's been not at all well received by gun folk LE and often considered unenforceable, my precautionary solution when I wanted to give a fellow permit holder an SKS was to indefinitely loan it to him even though it's cold firearm.
    NRA Benefactor