Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Answer "Why Do You Carry a Gun?"

That is my approach as well. I have tried to keep the knowledge of my CCW limited, but there are so many people with them in this region that it can be challenging. Once I have discussed with a friend who has CCW, then they may mention it to someone else and sooner or later it is something people know. In general rural Missouri is so pro-gun that people do not really think anything about it. Most of my friends carry or plan to get their CCW when funds permit.

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

I respond with, do you watch the news?

Only my wife knows so I don't get asked...but I like some of these answers!

I tend to agree that I like it unknown by most. It is only those I shoot with really know. Michigan is a "open carry" state too, but Michigan has some rather odd laws on carry too. Like you can open carry in certain restricted places if you have a CPL and open carry, but it is illegal to conceal carry in those places or open carry if you don't have a CPL. Goofy!!
    Ruger Super Single Six
    Dan Wesson 357 Mag Revolver, with 6" & 3" barrels
    Kahr P45
    S&W M&P 9mm w/CT Grip
    Kel-Tec P-3AT w/CT Laser
    Glock G27 w/CT Grip
    Kahr PM9094 w/CT Laser
    NRA Life Member

Love the carry a cop line and the fire extinguisher and seat belt line.

I might have to marry them together...

Because I can't carry a cop, and a seat belt does little against bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    I compiled a few of my favorite responses:

Answers to the question: “Why do you carry a gun?”

• Because I can't carry a COP!!
    • I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick your ass, but an old man will kill you.
    • Because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps.
    • For the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
    • I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
    • Don't let your dying words be "Damn, I wish I had my gun.
    • People tell me I should have seat belts, air bags, motorcycle helmets, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit, locks on my doors so I figure, what the heck, a gun couldn't hurt either.
    • Because a cop is too heavy to carry?
    • OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep him close by.
    • When did Noah build the Ark? That’s right, before it rained.
    • Doesn't everyone carry a gun?
    • In case I need to shoot something… or someone.
    • Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
    • Cuz it ain't got no legs...
    • Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and need to be put down!
    • You know...because of the killer clowns.
    Oh you guys are killing me. Cuz it ain't got no legs, killer clowns. My sides are ready to split.
    I was rolling around our local county fair years ago (I'm stuck in a wheelchair so I mean literally rolling around). It was bloody hot and I knew I'd be there all day so I was carrying in a fanny pack which usually goes pretty much unnoticed on derelicts such as I. Anyhow a rookie deputy walked past and I don't hear well either but I thought I heard him speak, so I turned around and saw he was looking at me so I went back. He asked me if I was carrying a gun. Stupid me I started scanning for threats and said yeah, why is yours broke? Turns out they didn't allow guns on the grounds only during the fair. Any other time was fine. Hauled me to their little office where there were several other deputies and they told me to either leave it with them till I left or go lock it in my car. As soon as the rookie left they all laughed and handed it back to me. Didn't seem funny to me at the time. Now I'm a civilian employee for the city police and interact with the county guys from time to time. Now it's hilarious. Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive but stay alert and cash in of old age not bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    I compiled a few of my favorite responses:

Answers to the question: “Why do you carry a gun?”

• Because I can't carry a COP!!
    • I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick your ass, but an old man will kill you.
    • Because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps.
    • For the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
    • I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
    • Don't let your dying words be "Damn, I wish I had my gun.
    • People tell me I should have seat belts, air bags, motorcycle helmets, fire extinguishers, a first aid kit, locks on my doors so I figure, what the heck, a gun couldn't hurt either.
    • Because a cop is too heavy to carry?
    • OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep him close by.
    • When did Noah build the Ark? That’s right, before it rained.
    • Doesn't everyone carry a gun?
    • In case I need to shoot something… or someone.
    • Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
    • Cuz it ain't got no legs...
    • Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and need to be put down!
    • You know...because of the killer clowns.
    Almost similar to you, I got this from a gun seller, liked very much and will share with you guys to shed light in details about this issue:

WHY I CARRY A GUN...

My old grandpa said to me son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whooping!

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people; I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid; I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry, I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy; I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man, I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whooping!

..Author unknown

:86:

A Conceal Carry Handgun Must Meet a Minimum of Four Conditions:
    1) It must be utterly reliable.
    2) It should be compact enough to be carried concealed for long periods of time.
    3) It should have a very simple operating drill.
    4) It should fire a cartridge of sufficient power.

+1 for up above. I was just getting ready to post this myself....good stuff!! I found this on the web long ago and saved it as well.

Honestly my most used answer is plain and simple.

I just say...."Because i refuse to be a victim and i'm to lazy to push Daisey's"

Everyone usually seems to pipe down after that

I have used "it's my constitutional right" when I know that they are antigun. I then follow it up by leaving, I will not let my self get caught in a no win argument with someone who is never going to change. Now if the person is not argumentative, then we can have an open conversation......because it has no legs You guys are killing me!

Great thread and now I have new material for witty replies. Too funny.
    Because friends/fam know & understand my position, I only get: “are you carrying?” To that: “what do you think?” I immediately see them relax. It’s a good feeling knowing I did my job: they’re protected and it’s well concealed. You get so few “why’s” in NH…the safest state in the nation. Hmmm, I wonder why it’s so safe?
    I did get a "why do you feel the need to hunt animals" from a friend’s vegan wife. I responded: “I enjoy the taste and health benefits of venison and the challenge of being a self sufficient caveman.” She thought about that, understood that I was connected with my food source and nodded. Situations are easier to diffuse when you’re dealing with open minds.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Clemenza, The Godfather
    "I like a man who grins when he fights" Winston Churchill