Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck gun...sort of

Thumbs up

^^^^ Yeah. The earplugs are really just in case I spontaneously stop at the range for some practice. I am taking notes on you all's survival pack ideas. I typically carry a tool kit + a blanket + a change of clothes + gloves + matches (and cigars)...along with the above. But I think I have room to improve...
    ​O|||||||O

I carry much the same as others have mentioned when traveling in my Jeep. There's a firearm on my person, but I do, on occasion, add a rifle. I also have one of these with me on any trip into the desert (off or on road, by foot, hoof, or vehicle):

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

When you live in the city, you don't have much need for anything but a firearm, knife, flashlight and blanket. If we ever move up nort, we will have to reconsider what we haul along. Breakdowns or trouble can be tricky up there. Not like the city.................lot's of miles between towns.

Hey Greg, Great information about "in reach"!! Thanks sooooo much. We love the outdoors (even though we aren't young anymore) and sometimes we will be in an area with no coverage for 7 - 10 days. And when we are in the Mountains (even driving) it's always a gamble with respect to coverage. We enjoy long day hikes (sloooooowly) and you never know! It's precious information, because we have no intention to modifying our current life style until we have Noooooo choice. There is just too much to see in this great country!
    Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing this would be a no go with EMP……that's my military coming out again. And maybe a little bit of my first 21 years in the inner city of Detroit ….bars on windows, big dogs…..!

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    Hey Greg, Great information about "in reach"!! Thanks sooooo much. We love the outdoors (even though we aren't young anymore) and sometimes we will be in an area with no coverage for 7 - 10 days. And when we are in the Mountains (even driving) it's always a gamble with respect to coverage. We enjoy long day hikes (sloooooowly) and you never know! It's precious information, because we have no intention to modifying our current life style until we have Noooooo choice. There is just too much to see in this great country!
    Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing this would be a no go with EMP……that's my military coming out again. And maybe a little bit of my first 21 years in the inner city of Detroit ….bars on windows, big dogs…..!
    I suspect you are right about that, but hope I never find out for sure.
    Here's a tidbit from a review I read:
    "The first warning is that this is an electronic device. It probably won’t work after an EMP or Carrington event. It communicates via the Iridium satellite system, which is also used by the government, so it isn’t secure, not that any electronic communications are. It depends on the GPS satellite constellation, which is another government service. The government can, when it feels like it, degrade the accuracy of civilian GPS units or even shut down the service to all but government clients. There are, therefore, drawbacks that you have to be aware of. Regardless, the DeLorme inReach offers some pretty amazing abilities, especially for those who get off the beaten path or who need to communicate or navigate in times of a disaster, short of a countrywide collapse." http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/20...r-2567176.html
    I've been pleased with my unit. It gives my wife some peace of mind as it can be set up to send her my location at interval (to include GPS coordinates, course, elevation and speed). Having the ability to communicate virtually anywhere and the SOS feature also help with my state of mind. I've been completely satisfied the few times I've spoke with Delorme and the service subscription is easy to adjust up or down as needs vary.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

For when you're not using it, Greg, line the inside of a small ammo can with cardboard or something to break contact with the metal box, and keep the GPS in the ammo can until needed. I don't know what it uses for batteries, but best not stored in the device. Even the best batteries seem to leak and fail in the vehicle... or even in the house. I took a lot of stuff out of my van for Matthew... the hurricane... and had it in our back closet under the stairs.

For the vehicle, I keep a set of clothes that's supposed to be quick drying/wicking away from the body, along with a better pair of shoes and merino wool blend socks. I wear shorts and clogs and need something for the night and more durable. Cotton holds water and chafes. One of the best things to point that out... about jeans... was one of the earlier Survivor shows where they kicked everyone off a boat and they had to swim to shore. Jeans suck. One of the characters was wearing jeans and one of the others made him a kilt out of them.

My pistol and knife are always on me... the pistol IWB at about 5 o'clock and the knife clipped inside my left pocket for a backup.

When I go to government offices or the bases I still carry my P380... the most concealable and knife since the Chattanooga attacks... no unarmed in a gun-free zone for me... Big Boy Rules.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks for the reply Greg. For our situation the inReach sounds like a must have.

Wynn, thanks for the reminder about storage when the unit isn't in use.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I carry much the same as others have mentioned when traveling in my Jeep. There's a firearm on my person, but I do, on occasion, add a rifle. I also have one of these with me on any trip into the desert (off or on road, by foot, hoof, or vehicle):

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Regards,
    Greg
    ^^^ FYI. There's one of these in the Bargain Cave at the Columbus Ohio Cabela's. It was there this morning.
    ​O|||||||O

I like the ear plugs. Think of the deterrent effect when you see a couple thugs looking for trouble and you give them the look as you screw in the plugs. Course they'll likely be so stupid they thin you're getting ready for some of their "music".

One thing not mentioned is a kotex pad. It'll wipe up a lot of blood before you need quick clot and are cheap.

This list keep on growin and you'll need an extended cab with a shell to hold it all.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post

This list keep on growin and you'll need an extended cab with a shell to hold it all.
    got the extended cab covered but that shell sounds like a good idea.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/