Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: At wits' end with my P380 (light strikes)

If you think the springs are binding on the guide rod do this: Take some automobile chassis grease and lube the springs with it. Get the grease in between the 2 springs and on the guide rod. It makes a world of difference on friction of the springs rubbing on each other in those small guns. It works on 9mm and 380s. I uses ir on my CM9 and never had any problems with fail to load or fail to eject. Doesn't hurt to put a light coating on the guide rails either.

I just happened upon this thread and checked my pistol as well: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...he-Front/page2

Sure enough, on my frame the area in question was deformed on one side, and a shard of plastic had broken off on the other. The guide rod would not seat all the way without snapping past the deformed area. I wonder if that's what caused my slide binding issue? Anyway, I cleaned up the damage with an X-Acto knife and the guide rod now slides smoothly into position. Beyond that, only time will tell...

People keep putting down the .380. I know there are other calibers out there that are probably better, but you carry what you are comfortable with. In 1968 I know I am an antique, but I was a CHP officer in southern CA. I walked into a grocery story with my wife while I was off duty. I was carrying a Walther PPK .380. I was informed by one of the managers that the store was being held up by two male individuals. I saw two guys going from check stand to check stand getting the money. Both were armed. At one point one of the guys pushed a customer up against the wall and threatened him. When he turn away I took one shot. The suspect dropped and the other ran out of the store. I was 66 ft. away when I shot. It is all about shot placement. I am retired now and I will only be using my weapon to protect myself and my wife and family. I don't need a gun that shoots 15 times. I have 2 Kahr 9mm's and a CW 380. I feel better when I am carrying a 9mm, however; I feel adequate carrying my .380.

The majority of street thugs will scatter like cockroaches the minute somebody starts shooting back at them. Very few will ever be the crazed psycho meth-head of stereotypes. In the event somebody is really, really, REALLY pissed at you and wants to tear your head clean off a .45 won't drop them either if the shots aren't well-placed. You HAVE to shut down their central nervous system if you expect them to go down right away. Even a shot into the heart may not drop them instantly if they're so pumped up that their brain is full of oxygen.

Hey...that's my thread!

I'm glad my woes eventually helped someone else, too. Personally, I never would have diagnosed that problem myself, so this forum once again proved to be a godsend.

The Epilogue to my story was a nearly flawless trip to the range, so I hope your story ends well, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I just happened upon this thread and checked my pistol as well: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...he-Front/page2

Sure enough, on my frame the area in question was deformed on one side, and a shard of plastic had broken off on the other. The guide rod would not seat all the way without snapping past the deformed area. I wonder if that's what caused my slide binding issue? Anyway, I cleaned up the damage with an X-Acto knife and the guide rod now slides smoothly into position. Beyond that, only time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Look at ballistic gelatin tests on YouTube from decent sources like TNoutdoors9. You'll see that a hollow-point .380 bullet does the same amount of damage as a 9mm when it first enters, but then it it quickly slows down and stops after only 8" or so of penetration. The 9mm round of course keeps going to about 12". That's the difference. I believe a good .380 round will perform nearly as well as an equivalent 9mm bullet if the range is short, your assailant is wearing a t-shirt, and he's of thin to medium build. But at distance, going up against somebody with a lot of body fat and/or a thick winter coat the .380 may not go in deep enough to get the job done. That's why I and many others only consider a .380 a warm-weather defense caliber, and try not to piss off fat people.
    So the answer is move to where its warm all the time and you never have to lug anything bigger than a CW380
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Better the 380 in my pocket than the 45 home in the safe. I do carry the 9 occasionally, but the size of the 380 has me grabbing it most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    So the answer is move to where its warm all the time and you never have to lug anything bigger than a CW380
    Like California?????????????????

Na Arizona
    CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

My 45 never stays home in the safe. Ever.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."