Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: At wits' end with my P380 (light strikes)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default At wits' end with my P380 (light strikes)

As many of you know I have literally been troubleshooting my P380 for the past four years, trying to resolve the issue of light primer strikes. It's always the same, regardless of the brand of ammo. I can get through one 50-round box of ammo just fine, but by the second box I start getting misfires at least once a magazine. I have done the following:

1. Thorough cleaning of the striker channel, including deburring
    2. Lakeline striker
    3. New extractor
    4. New recoil springs
    5. Polished feed ramp and chamber
    6. Reduced extractor tension (recent fix attempt)

I was under the belief that maybe the slide wouldn't go fully into battery, but today I went into full diagnostic mode and after each shot I made sure the slide was all the way in battery. Even after making sure it was I still had misfires. However, what I found out was that even during the first 50 rounds when the pistol was working, some empty cases showed solid hits while others showed weak hits. One empty case would have a deep indent, and the next one that was fired right afterwards would have a light indent. Then the next one would be deep again. It's as if the striker isn't always allowed to jump forward without something slowing it down, and then it gets worse as the pistol warms up or gets dirty. I have been checking the strikers (both OEM and Lakeline) for signs of peening or other wear, but they look perfect still. What in blue blazes is going on with this damn thing??? What haven't I tried yet? Is there a stronger striker spring out there? Maybe a problem with the cam? What makes this even more annoying is the fact that in all the thousands of rounds of trial and error this pistol has virtually never had a failure to feed, extract or eject. In other words, except for this ONE damn problem it's completely flawless. If it jammed besides misfiring I'd have the excuse I needed to just throw it into the nearest lake, but I keep feeling like I'm close to solving this. Going on 3000 rounds of testing so far...
    Last edited by dsk; 02-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.