Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: At wits' end with my P380 (light strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by jtsmall View Post
    Approaching three months since your last post I suspect you have replaced your customized parts with factory new Kahr parts. If so what are your findings and next steps?
    The latest is that I replaced the parts and the pistol went two more range trips with no failures, and I was ready to call it good. Then when I came home after the second trip the slide inexplicably got stuck shut and refused to open. I had to take a mallet to pop it open (fortunately there was no round in the chamber). I cleaned the pistol really good and looked everything over, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I reassembled it and the slide operated fine.

Three days later I bought a Ruger LCP. It's now my new pocket carry and the Kahr will collect dust until I finally decide whether to waste any more ammunition "testing" it or simply part it out. I'm sick and tired of burning up all my .380 ammo and range time on just this one gun and its perpetual problems when I have so many other guns I'd love to shoot instead.

Latest update, I put 100 more rounds through it yesterday without any failures. I don't know what caused the stuck slide, maybe an unburned power granule or piece of brass shaving found the magic spot and locked up the slide and barrel. I still can't trust this gun unless it's absolutely squeaky-clean and well lubed. It's such a shame because it runs circles around the LCP otherwise. So much more accurate and easy to shoot.

End your problems, put the Kahr away and buy a Remington RM380, It is 100% reliable out of the box. Not breakin required. It works every time without fail. Brand loyalty has it's limits.

Hopefully you picked up the LCP gen 2 and not the new Model LCP ll. I have owned three LCP's shot thousands of rounds through them since they first came out. And now own the fourth. They are good reliable guns that shoot most any ammo. Actually loved the Tula steel case when the ammo shortage occurred. However, they are no where near the quality of the Kahr. And you are going to give up a lot of the fine shooting of the Kahr, the smooth mildness unique to the gun. The Grip on the LCP's can be a problem if you shoot often. Cracks, rail splits etc. Ruger does nothing for these issues to provide steel supports etc. The guns are not known for high mileage. Start to look for problems anywhere from 1500 on. Some will get up there, there is one guy said he is up to 3500 rounds. That is very unusual. My first one went down after 2200 rounds. I tested and shot the New LCP ll and hated it. Crazy unsafe trigger. That is when I decided to look elsewhere and Bought the Pico, which I have quickly become a fan boy. Bought two of them I liked it so much. Over 2000 rounds of mixed ammo between both and NOT one Hiccup.

Last month bought the Kahr and quickly becoming a fan. I now have 425 rounds through the gun with no problems, time will tell, but I believe it will do very well. Hate to see someone go from a Kahr to a LCP. That said, I hope you like your new Pistol. Maybe later you can go back to the Kahr and work things out. I sincerely wish you luck.

I went from a Kahr to an LCP and was very happy. For me it was very simple: Kahr - totally unreliable, LCP - totally reliable.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Yup, I went with a Gen2 LCP that was on sale. With a Hogue grip on it it's bulkier than my P380, but it's not much harder to shoot. The main thing though is that it's reliable, and aside from the grip and a little polishing of the feed ramp it was good to go right out of the box. And it cost a third of what the Kahr did won't require the expenditure of hundreds of dollars worth of ammo to break in or troubleshoot. In the meantime I'll take the Kahr out on occasion just to see how it performs, but after the last bizarre and totally inexplicable incident my confidence in it is gone.

Kahr is obviously having some issues and if not corrected, it will be the end of Kahr. High Standard and others went that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Yup, I went with a Gen2 LCP that was on sale. With a Hogue grip on it it's bulkier than my P380, but it's not much harder to shoot. The main thing though is that it's reliable, and aside from the grip and a little polishing of the feed ramp it was good to go right out of the box. And it cost a third of what the Kahr did won't require the expenditure of hundreds of dollars worth of ammo to break in or troubleshoot. In the meantime I'll take the Kahr out on occasion just to see how it performs, but after the last bizarre and totally inexplicable incident my confidence in it is gone.
    Expect-not to see you here anymore. After-all, no trust in the gun anymore should keep you from clicking-on this Kahr site again.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas / Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    Kahr is obviously having some issues and if not corrected, it will be the end of Kahr. High Standard and others went that way.
    That would be sad. They have enough other strong players and other brands under their umbrella. Doubt Kahr will end.
    Maybe just quit 380's would be their savior. Wouldn't bother me none.

Even the 380's have improved drastically over the last few years. Used to be almost nothing but problems. Now I think the vast majority run without issue.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by joemsj51 View Post
    Expect-not to see you here anymore. After-all, no trust in the gun anymore should keep you from clicking-on this Kahr site again.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas / Happy New Year.
    There are many firearms/topics to read about and contribute to, besides .380 cal. Kahr's on this site. In fact, the 380's are low on the discussion list. If the only reason to come to this site is to complain about 380's, its too bad. Lots of other useful and fun info. I have read about just as much trouble with other .380's, not just Kahr. I wouldn't own any of them personally. I like BIG holes