Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Trump to Push for Nationwide Conceal Carry Law

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, I've been trying to work through the logistics of national reciprocity and I just can't see it working. One of the youtube CA gun guys is telling all CA residents to get a non-resident permit and then they'll be able to carry even if they can't get a CA permit due to the BS "may issue" crap in that state.

Here in NY, one of the requirements of the "SAFE" act is that permit holders have to "recertify" every 5 years (mental health check, criminal bg check, etc.) I began to wonder what happens if national reciprocity passes and I decide not to "recertify" my NY permit. Given that if I don't recertify, the NYSP notify the local county clerk to revoke my permit. Once revoked, someone has to come for my guns (All of them! This includes long guns too according to the "SAFE" act, even though we aren't required to register long guns and therefore the state has no way of knowing what long guns I own). But I digress......

When the NYSP show up for my guns, can I just tell them to piss off and show them my PA/FL/UT permits because "national reciprocity"? Or does seizure happen regardless by virtue of NYS penal code that states my guns get confiscated upon revocation of my NY permit?

Is this national reciprocity valid in special enclaves like NYC where even our NYS permits are not valid?

If national reciprocity goes into effect, how do I purchase handguns in the future? Federal law prohibits face-to-face sales of handguns to out of state residents and requires that guns are sent to the resident state FFL. Most states with handgun licensing schemes require a valid in-state CCW permit for residents to purchase a handgun from an FFL, so how do I buy a handgun in NY having only a PA/UT/FL ccw? Unless NYS law changes, you will never be able to purchase a handgun w/o a valid NY permit.

Too many screwed up scenarios for this thing to ever work. The only solution is NOT national reciprocity but national Constitutional Carry as validated by the Second Amendment. Anything less will never pass and seems impossible to implement.

Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by thughes View Post
    So, I've been trying to work through the logistics of national reciprocity and I just can't see it working. One of the youtube CA gun guys is telling all CA residents to get a non-resident permit and then they'll be able to carry even if they can't get a CA permit due to the BS "may issue" crap in that state.

Here in NY, one of the requirements of the "SAFE" act is that permit holders have to "recertify" every 5 years (mental health check, criminal bg check, etc.) I began to wonder what happens if national reciprocity passes and I decide not to "recertify" my NY permit. Given that if I don't recertify, the NYSP notify the local county clerk to revoke my permit. Once revoked, someone has to come for my guns (All of them! This includes long guns too according to the "SAFE" act, even though we aren't required to register long guns and therefore the state has no way of knowing what long guns I own). But I digress......

When the NYSP show up for my guns, can I just tell them to piss off and show them my PA/FL/UT permits because "national reciprocity"? Or does seizure happen regardless by virtue of NYS penal code that states my guns get confiscated upon revocation of my NY permit?

Is this national reciprocity valid in special enclaves like NYC where even our NYS permits are not valid?

If national reciprocity goes into effect, how do I purchase handguns in the future? Federal law prohibits face-to-face sales of handguns to out of state residents and requires that guns are sent to the resident state FFL. Most states with handgun licensing schemes require a valid in-state CCW permit for residents to purchase a handgun from an FFL, so how do I buy a handgun in NY having only a PA/UT/FL ccw? Unless NYS law changes, you will never be able to purchase a handgun w/o a valid NY permit.

Too many screwed up scenarios for this thing to ever work. The only solution is NOT national reciprocity but national Constitutional Carry as validated by the Second Amendment. Anything less will never pass and seems impossible to implement.

Just some food for thought.
    Ah yes !
    This brings back fond memories of living in NYC and having a pistol permit back in the mid 70's. It was hell of getting the permit.

When after a few months of moving out of state my pistol permit expired for the 3 gun maximum I was allowed. Wife still was in NY closing her business. About 11:00 PM 2 cops show up at her house to confiscate my now illegal pistols.
    She tells them that I moved out of state and took the guns with me. The demanded and threatened to know where I was, because they claimed the guns had become the property of the city of N.Y. Knowing my wife I'm sure she told them what they could do.

Yea showing up at the house at 11:00 PM ? The only thing those guns were ever gonna see was the cops personal collection. I know from personal observations what I'm talking about.
    Back then I was assigned to work in court houses in Brooklyn N.Y. There were break rooms where cops would wait before testifying and I personally would see they would show off to each other the weapons they had taken had taken off someone for their own personal collections.

The 70's was a bad year for police corruption in NYC