Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best City to Live in Texas?

Default Best City to Live in Texas?

Okay, not likely to happen, but the kids and us have batted around making the big move from CA. General consensus is Texas, but where? Grandkids need college, kids need jobs, we need medical (me VA, wife bunch of neurology types). Second is security. Supportive Policing is high value. Concealed carry a must. Not prejudiced but prefer a friendly neighborhood. Want it to be a place where our grandkids would want to live and raise their families. A strong American city where the flag is respected and patriotism abounds.

I expect to hear back no place exists but if it does and you would welcome a growing family that believes and exhibits these values let me know.

OldLincoln
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

If I HAD to live in Texas (thankfully I don't) I would look at the northeast part of the state, say Tyler or thereabouts. Not sure if it has everything you are looking for, though. Or maybe someplace between DFW and Houston. Nice country. San Antonio maybe. Waco? Forget west Texas and the Panhandle. The Gulf coast can be nice but not during the summers.

Oh, I spent my high school years in a small town in the Panhandle and my in-laws live in south Texas. The state is just not for me, nothing against folks who live there or want to go there. I've crisscrossed that state MANY times over the years and will be heading down to the in-laws for Christmas. Just giving you some ideas on the areas of the state that have nice looking land and decent weather (read as humidity).

I'll never live in another city as long as I have that choice.

Ft. Worth area was nice in the early 80's and close to schools and medical (Dallas is close and has whatever you want but it's too much city for me). I have heard the Tyler area is nice too but sure what's around there.

I have good memories from my year in Texas. Nice people there. Made regular visit to Mansfield to visit friends and it had a small town atmosphere back then.

I had hoped to move to Marshal about 10 years ago but it didn't work out.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Near the Gulf, maybe Galvaston.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Spent much of the afternoon studying up on Texas. Very depressing between crime, schools, weather, etc. I'm going to give this a long rest. Wife says Jesus is on His way so I'll stick around here for a while.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

The wife & I retired just north of Austin 20 years ago (we're in our early 70s).

Truthfully it can get hotter'n hell during the severe droughts, but the last one was broken two years ago. Still, July-September can be pretty warm a few weeks hovering around 100. Winters are mild.
    We live just north of the liberal (for Texas) city of Austin in the Round Rock area which is very conservative. Lots of activities, churches, & decent restaurants all over. The whole Austin metro area has 2 million residents, but with pretty low violent crime rates. Round Rock (population 110,000) even less. Property theft rates are high - if it ain't nailed down, might as well kiss it goodbye. Although my neighborhood of Brushy Creek next to Round Rock has very little.

Very good public schools around us in Williamson County and it is a great, safe place to raise a family - lots of parks, pools, a good hike & bike trail & community center. Nearby lakes provide boating & fishing. Lots of civilian hospitals - a good VA clinic down in Austin and a big VA hospital in Waco, plus one in San Antonio, I think (both about and hour & a half away). We have the LTC for concealed & open carry.

Just north of Round Rock on I-35 is a nice little city, Georgetown. Just west of that is a large Del Webb Sun City development for retired folks.

The job market in the metro is very good, particularly in the tech industry. However, it is very competitive and the pay will be lower than California. There is no state income tax, but the property tax is fairly high depending on where you live. Housing in Austin is the highest in the state, but is reasonable out here in the surrounding 'burbs north & south. Gets expensive west towards the lakes.

This isn't anything like California, especially LA or the Bay area. The traffic sucks in the largest cities, but not as bad as LA (or so we are told).
    Best of luck & health to you and yours.

Here is an Austin forum that is chock full of info - particularly the top "sticky" thread:
    (a number of nonsensical ones too)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Just about anywhere is politically better than California so work from that standpoint.
    For the last three years son has been living in Allen, TX (north suburb of Dallas) and it is growing, beautiful and reasonable.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Just another option for you.....I looked at moving to Grand Junction Colorado for awhile. It seems to have a lot of what you may be looking for. They have milder winter than rest of state, hospital and many close by National Parks. If you still want snow [yuk] just a short drive east and you reach Aspen/Vail area which gets PLENTY. Annual Snowfall is only 18 inches.
    Last edited by jeepster09; 12-18-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Dunno if we cold take that cold.

Yesterday afternoon I was grilling steaks out on the patio in my shorts - it was 80 degrees. This morning the artic cold front blew in from the north and dropped the temp to 25. Froze the bird bath solid.

"What do you mean you didn't bring the vodka?"

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

We live in Michigan but we spend a good bit of time in the Southwest. TX is definitely better than CA., it's very patriotic state, but has pockets of liberalism.
    Recently, we spent time in Fort Huachuca, AZ and loved it! It's not a big city, but has a good variety of stores and Tuscan is a little more than an hour away.
    And the crime stats. looked decent. However, job wise I don't know. AZ gun laws aren't too bad.