Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Never fired 2008 vintage P40, 135 gr ammo?

Default Never fired 2008 vintage P40, 135 gr ammo?

Serial said she was built in June 2008. Got my P40 home last night. After wrestling with the slide to align the witness marks I field stripped the pistol. This P40 is spotless, no wear marks, no crud, never fired. Same thing with the magazines. The paper works was still in the sealed bag. Warranty card was never completed and mailed. A few drops of DSX lube on the pivot points and slide. Kahr says 200 round to break it in.

A friend of mine shoots this ammo in his .40 and says it more accurate in his short barrel 40 than 180 gr ammo. Has anyone used this ammo in a kahr?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1582489

I've found most 155 and 165gr ammo to shoot best in my P40. I'm not sure I follow the self defense FMJ concept of that Guard Dog stuff tho vs. typical JHP. Give it a try and let us know.
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks, I have two bigger .40's, a Sig 226 and and H&K USP. These pistols are very accurate with 180 gr ammo.

Yeah. I shoot 180gr pretty accurate thru my CZ. We're talking off hand shooting right? I figger all grains shoot fine off a bench rest. I think it's me that shoots the lighter bullets better vs. the Kahr. YMMV.
    ​O|||||||O

yes, offhand. Looking for a load that will hold a combat accurate group. Do most of my drills at 7 yards or less. I agree, it's loose nut behind the trigger that makes the biggest difference!

Yup! Practice makes a bigger difference than bullet weight. Ever shoot IDPA? Enjoy that new P40. I been carrying mine all day.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by texasm77 View Post
    Serial said she was built in June 2008. Got my P40 home last night. After wrestling with the slide to align the witness marks I field stripped the pistol. This P40 is spotless, no wear marks, no crud, never fired. Same thing with the magazines. The paper works was still in the sealed bag. Warranty card was never completed and mailed. A few drops of DSX lube on the pivot points and slide. Kahr says 200 round to break it in.

A friend of mine shoots this ammo in his .40 and says it more accurate in his short barrel 40 than 180 gr ammo. Has anyone used this ammo in a kahr?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1582489
    I find it easier to align the notch and tab visually than to align the witness marks. Removal becomes easier after the pistol is shot a couple hundred times. Luckygunner.com has a lab which shows which bullets are more likely to both expand and also not over or under penetrate with a 3.5" barrel 40 S&W. A few of the lighter weight bullets make the list.

At over a buck per round for fmj, I guess I'll never know how that 135 gr stuff shoots.

Thanks for the suggestion on field stripping. It was handful with a stiff spring and a small pistol. The Lucky Gunner test results were an interesting read. I am going to try my 180 gr ammo Saturday before buying more ammo.