Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P40 or PM40

I looked for a P40 for almost a year and found one for $290 at a LGS. Built in 2008. Never been fired. After 150 rounds I am really liking the trigger, gets better with each mag. No regrets about the .40. The P40 is about as small as I want to go because I have large hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish View Post
    I been hunting down a P40 for awhile myself until I got MK9 for cheap. I go with P40 since you will have a bit more control with 40 being a bit more power easily over a 9.

I would advise the P40. I had a PM9 as my first polymer pistol. I settled on the P-sized polymer Kahrs because they are just as easy for me to conceal IWB using the same CrossBreed Minituck IWB holster that I bought for my PM9. I sold my PM9 and K9 and just have the P9, P40, and P45 plus the super-concealable P380 for max concealment and everyday around the house carry. I got the Kahr ported barrels for the P9 and the P40. The P40 is my main EDC. I did add a steel base plate to my 6-round CCW magazine(I had to add a 3/32" by 3/4" ID neoprene O-ring to stop pinching!) and carry a 7-round extended mag in a Kydex OWB mag holder opposite side. My carry ammo for the .40 S&W is the 180-grain Remington Golden Sabers... the top performer in the Lucky Gunners Ammo testing for short-barreled pistols.
    Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 01-06-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

That's a lot of P.................................

Some phone pix in my hotel room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

My first Kahr was an MK40 Elite. I found it difficult to shoot both fast and accurately and traded it for a P9. I also converted a .40 S&W SIG P239 to a 9mm and found this preferable for faster shooting. I once shot a P40 and found it easier to shoot than my MK40 had been. My opinion is that for fast, accurate shooting with a powerful round, pistol grips should provide full vertical hand contact for more leverage and better recoil management. FWIW, I prefer my P9 to my PM9, for all but pocket carry. If you go with the .40 round, I recommend the p40.

Something to consider it that the .40 is losing popularity among law enforcement. The FBI recently decided to change its new agent issue caliber from .40 to 9mm. Ironically, the .40's popularity originated with its FBI adoption after it found the then-issued 10mm round was too much for many agents and unnecessarily heavy for their purposes. There seems to be a growing consensus that modern 9mm defensive rounds are nearly as effective as .40s in ballistics. Additionally, similar pistols hold more 9mms and get many shooters back on target quicker, resulting in higher qualification scores, and are cheaper, etc. Some of this changeover may be explained by the 9mm being preferred by female officers, a growing slice of LEOs, but US Special Operators now will generally carry Glock 19 pistols, which amazes me. LEOs and military units generally carry compact pistols, like Glock 19s, or larger service pistols. In smaller, lighter pistols, like Kahrs, it seems even more clear that a 9mm makes more sense for multiple round encounters. Of course, good luck with whatever you choose.