Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cleaning Internals

Default Deep Cleaning Internals

Just wanted to get opinions on how often you "deep" clean the internals of the Kahr pistols? I typically clean my pistols right after I shoot them but it's more of a basic cleaning with slide, frame, and barrel. I'm far from an expert but just wanted some input - thanks!

Personally for me, very seldom.
    Many just squirt a little brake cleaner or gun scrubber in the little clean out hole to clean the striker channel. I don't even do that.

Maybe once a year or even two I might pull the back plate off and check the striker channel and extractor assembly.

This on a PM45. My K9 and K40 probably even less.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I do a basic, but though cleaning ever time I shoot my guns and I spray brake cleaner in the clean out hole about every 500 rounds. While spraying brake cleaner I
    also work the firing pin spring back and forth.

After break-in I like to test a gun for survival/fighting. What I do is skip cleaning it for 2 or 3 range trips. I want to know if the gun is capable of functioning dirty. I don't make this a regular practice, I normally only do this once. And,,,, I never carry a dirty gun for self defense.

I give my guns basic cleaning after each range session and only do deep cleaning occasionally like every 750 rounds or so. I just make sure that every handgun that I concealed carry for protection gets a deep cleaning before it reaches 1,000 rounds since its last deep cleaning, so I can check if there is any severely worn part or broken spring...

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner in the striker channel.
    "Love Your Neighbor as Yourself" - Jesus
    "Don't Tread on Me" - The 1775 Gadsden Flag
    "No Stronger Retrograde Force Exists in the World" - Winston Churchill re:Islam

When I fire over 100 rounds in a range session I detail strip my weapons. Some say it is bad to detail strip all the time I have seen no diffrence in service life because of detail strip and I have some heavily used 1911 and glocks that are taken down often. I look at it like this the more you detail strip a weapon the more familliar you become with that weapon,you also take note of what parts wear as to where ,how,and why. When you only clean main parts of weapon dirt ,powder whatever sits and accumilates further when not detail stripped.

The last time I cleaned my CW40 I detail stripped it. Wow, was the striker channel dirty! Lots of brass shavings and gunk built up in there. I have in the neighborhood of 1500 rounds thru it, so I know it was past due. I haven't done the brake cleaner in the clean out hole, but I will detail strip it a bit more often. Wasn't all that hard to do, just have to pay attention.

Come on guys, been watching this for awhile. Take it down every time, it’s not hard to do. The amount of carbon and brass that builds up in that striker channel will amaze you. I have found that brake cleaner works sort of OK but really doesn’t cut the carbon, old Hoppe’s #9 will cut the carbon with a Q-tip then brake cleaner will blow out the crud. Now if you make up the spring tool it makes the whole process a lot easier. I made mine out of a piece of 1/8 music wire, get a small screw driver to pull back on the spring and put the tool in. Still got to watch when you pull the back door down you got stuff still spring loaded. I didn’t think this tool up, think I saw it somewhere here. And reassembly same deal it’ll hold the spring making the whole process easier. By nature blow back guns get very dirty, and if your gonna carry it then clean it is the way I look at it. Now every-time I shoot my 1911 it becomes a pile of parts within say 2 minutes I’ve done it so many times, even though that’s a range gun anymore she still gets dirty. As far as the lower is concerned leave that bad boy alone (don’t ask how I know this!!) Once again old Hoppe’s #9 on a brush and get it good and wet and then brake clean just shooting on the internals. I still like to give a small shot of Rem-Oil in it after the brake clean, it wipes out all the oil and if your lucky enough to have a air compressor I blow out all the excess oil. So that my thought on this, but only my thought.

Then this wouldn’t be complete without the 1911 ready for cleaning

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harrylee; 01-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

I can attest that Harry has both, balls and talent. to me, "A man's gotta know his limitations"
    He tore my kimber down like that and showed me how easy it is to do
    AGAIN!"A man's gotta know his limitations"
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

I use synthetic safe blast free cleaner, Hoppes #9, and low pressure compressed air. Usually oil up with RemOil or CLP. Works for me.