Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My MK9 is going back to Kahr.

Default My MK9 is going back to Kahr.

Well, I am disappointed to say that my MK9 has developed the dreaded rear magwell crack. Son-of-a-B***. I am bummed to say the least, but I am extremely pleased with Kahr's customer service. I spoke to Adam and he said a few things that really caught my ear. First he said this is a known issue that they are aware of at Kahr and they are going to have to replace the frame. Even more interesting is that he said he thinks it's an issue with the company that does their "frame castings". I thought these were machined and not casts so........He even went on to say, I'm sure if you look at those areas you can see some rough spots and casting marks. Well what the crap?! Hahahaha. Anyhow, I am very happy that they seem like they are going to take care of it and he had a prepaid label to my e-mail in 5 minutes and I'll be mailing out my firearm tomorrow. He said just send the whole firearm in and they'll just replace the frame. I'm leaving my tfx sights on my slide (he said to) but I'm not sending it in with my g10 grips on, I'm afraid they'll got lost with the old frame or something. It's going in naked on the bottom.

Here's pics of the frame crack that has started to develop.

Here's hoping they get it back to you quickly.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Sorry that happened. They will fix you up though. I think the frames are cast and then finish machined. What you were told confirms that to be the case.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Really sorry to hear about this. I know they will make it right; however. it still sucks that it happened. I wonder if it was there but less visible when you first got the pistol. Now I have to go check my K9 and Mk9.
    Please keep us posted.

This is crappy metallurgy, manufacturing, and even worse QA. This stinks. I would seriously considering asking Kahr for your money back. A repair is not really possible other than a replacement with no guarantee that it will be any better.

They won't repair, they will replace. It's also not a Kahr issue alone, every manufacture that uses castings occasionally deals with this.

The gun undoubtedly would still last a lifetime if left as is. Does it stink- yes. Will they take care of it, you bet your backside.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Greg,
    Thank you. I hope so as well.

Alfonse,
    I bet you are right. It seems to be the case.

Redstate,
    I am a little OCD about this type of stuff so I can say without a doubt that there was no crack there before. I checked the pistol inside and out and know every imperfection and scratch on it by the end of the first evening I owned it. I check my firearms thoroughly during cleaning after range sessions and this just showed up after my last range session. Now mind you, I shoot often. This pistol has seen a lot of rounds in under a month, so if there was a void or something in the cast then I'm sure it was enough to cause it to crack. Shakes my confidence a little. Adam assured me that they'd make sure my replacement was looked over with a fine-toothed comb, especially in that area.

CPTKILLER,
    I don't want to lie, I've thought about it. I'm nervous that my replacement may get the same issue 800-1000 rounds down the line and then it'll be off to repair again. I really like the all steel and size though, that's what brought me to the MK9. I'm willing to give them a second shot because I like the size and design so much. If I get really anxious about it, maybe I can see about getting a PM9 as a replacement. I know some buddies with those with lots of rounds through them and they seem to be doing great.

Bawanna,
    You know, I looked at it and came to the same conclusion that it wouldn't affect the pistol regardless and it would operate fine with that crack...just don't like it.

Genin, I can tell how much you like your MK9. I wouldn't just settle for a PM9 at this time. Give it another chance. As you said, "I know some buddies with those with lots of rounds through them and they seem to be doing great." You just got a bad one.

MY MK9 has 1035 rounds through it with no crack (knock on wood). My K9 has 580 rounds through it with no crack (knock on wood). Good luck in your decision. Of course, you could always save up for a PM9 to add to the stable or even get a CM9 in addition to your MK9.
    Last edited by Redstate; 01-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genin View Post
    Bawanna,
    You know, I looked at it and came to the same conclusion that it wouldn't affect the pistol regardless and it would operate fine with that crack...just don't like it.
    I agree and if you don't like it, that's reason enough to get it replaced. But as we both agree, the gun would still do it's job so it doesn't sway my confidence level in the least.

I'd certainly not part with it even if you get a PM or CM. The K and MK are cream of the crop. Just not much material at that point and a bad casting. Get it replaced and your good to go.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."