Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Wolffe recoil springs in PM40 Guide rod.

Default Installing Wolffe recoil springs in PM40 Guide rod.

Purchased a used PM40 late in December and took to the range. I am not recoil sensitive being used to firing full power loads in my Glock 10mm and .40 caliber pistols but the Recoil was a bit more than I expected. I have ordered a new recoil assembly from Kahr but want to change the recoil springs on my old guide rod with the 20.5 Wolffe Springs. What is the best way to remove the end nut on the old rod. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Most people just replace the outer spring and don't bother with the inner one.

I guess I'd be reluctant to remove that nut so it doesn't come off later. If you do take it off, Loctite the heck out of it when you put it back on.

I've never taken one off so I'm no help.

Wynn has lost a few and made his own replacements. He'll probably have some good help.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

HI Texas48, Bawanna. Yes Bawanna I'm still around. How's the snow up by you ?

The wife has a PM9 that the slide and the recoil spring plug have been Cerakoted. So when I replaced the inner spring for her she needed to keep the matching end nut. So I heated the end nut with a heat gun and it came right off in a soft jawed vise. I replaced the inner spring from another spring assembly, and red lock tighted the end nut in place. It's still in place after hundreds of fired rounds.

My question is where do you buy just the inner recoil spring

Well done, I kind of figured if anyone could do it you'd be the guy.

I think the trick is plenty of Loctite when you reinstall the nut.

Thanks for stopping by, show yourself a bit more often if it ain't too much trouble.

Our snow is pretty much gone, but it's damn cold and a couple days ago the roads were all just sheet ice, went down my hill like the Jamaican bobsled team I did, no way I could get back up but it warmed a bit and they hit it with sand real good so I got home that night ok.

My son had a white knuckle drive nearly all the way to 29 Palms. Wanted to take his car back and we got snow New Years Eve. He had to leave New Years morning. We debated just shipping his car down and flying back. I think he kind of wishes he'd done that too but he made it. Had to buy chains which were required. Just glad he made it.

Me, I'll just stay home by the wood stove if it's too white outside.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the response. Getting a new recoil spring for the PM 40. Its on older gun still has a pre 2006 mag plastic mag release don't know round round but really slammed my writs when fired. Has a set of wolff springs and want to replace the ones in the old guide rod. Got plenty of Red lock tite so I give the gun a chance with the new springs. Was still accurate and could not pass up for $300.00 out the door. Planned on heavy recoil but this was flat manageable thus the new springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    HI Texas48, Bawanna. Yes Bawanna I'm still around. How's the snow up by you ?

The wife has a PM9 that the slide and the recoil spring plug have been Cerakoted. So when I replaced the inner spring for her she needed to keep the matching end nut. So I heated the end nut with a heat gun and it came right off in a soft jawed vise. I replaced the inner spring from another spring assembly, and red lock tighted the end nut in place. It's still in place after hundreds of fired rounds.

My question is where do you buy just the inner recoil spring

Thanks for the input jg rider! I've always liked the stuff you post, so please do as Bawanna asks and "show yourself a bit more often if it ain't too much trouble."

BTW, I've not see anyplace that sells just the inner spring. The Wolff spring set may be the only source.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Hello guys,
    I'm almost always lurking in the background.

Sometimes lurking just don't cut it. But lurking is better than nothing I reckon.

Getting any better down in your neck of the woods. Got a hell of a snow storm down your way. Guess Seattle sent down fleet or plows and trucks to help with cleanup. Looked like a huge mess on the news.

Probably didn't effect you too bad I hope as your out a bit away from the hustle and bustle. I hope.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Sometimes lurking just don't cut it. But lurking is better than nothing I reckon.

Getting any better down in your neck of the woods. Got a hell of a snow storm down your way. Guess Seattle sent down fleet or plows and trucks to help with cleanup. Looked like a huge mess on the news.

Probably didn't effect you too bad I hope as your out a bit away from the hustle and bustle. I hope.
    Snows did effect us. We're about 25 miles west of Portland, south of Hillsboro, north of Newberg. Have to drive to about 1600 ft level and then drive down to 1200 ft. to our house on a private rd. So no road clearing except by me and some other neighbors with tractors and scaper blades. Snows are about 8"

Here's what it usually looks like when then the snows come. We love it. This was last year.

Seriously though I'v been rekindling my interest in my Marlin 1894 lever actions, .38 / .357 & .44. IIRC, I may have posted pics of them with with their Williams reciver sights and Marble f.o. front sights.

Out of boredom I decided to mount red dots on them just for kicks. Found a site locally that's selling 5 moa dots that are holding up to .44 recoil. Red dots cost only about $45.00
    They're a quick on and off install We'll see if the grand kids like them.

Pics to come

I also have a Marlin .22 39A that is a tack driver, at least to me since I'm not a bench rest shooter.

Here's a 5/8" group at 75 yds. into a 6" steel plate using an older Weaver K9 4x scope.

gb6491, how have you been. I thought you're in the warm SW so you may be getting a chill in your bones. I know when my inlaws come up from AZ. or NV. I have to turn the heat on in the spring.

Enough of this off topic before I get kicked off by the moderator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No worries JG, I know a guy that knows a mod and Pedro offers you his protection.

If your West of Portland you got dumped on for sure.

My son sure got a bad deal driving his car back to 29 Palms. It was snow and chains on and off all the way into California.

Should have just had the car trucked down in hindsight but he made it and all is good and saved me 500 bucks.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan