Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Wolffe recoil springs in PM40 Guide rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    HI Texas48, Bawanna. Yes Bawanna I'm still around. How's the snow up by you ?

The wife has a PM9 that the slide and the recoil spring plug have been Cerakoted. So when I replaced the inner spring for her she needed to keep the matching end nut. So I heated the end nut with a heat gun and it came right off in a soft jawed vise. I replaced the inner spring from another spring assembly, and red lock tighted the end nut in place. It's still in place after hundreds of fired rounds.

My question is where do you buy just the inner recoil spring

Used some heat and was able to remove the nut. Replaced springs with Wollf 20.5 lb spring set for the PM40. I did this after getting a new recoil assembly from Kahr. The sent me the new 15 coil spring , sent it back got a new 13 coil assembly. Trying to install this new assembly the slide would not lock back. After several attempts trying to install, thinking it was me, I called Kahr and tech told me to fire the gun and the springs would set. I have never encountered this with any other pistol I have owned. Did think that this was the way to go. Is it a common thing that a slide not lacking back after installing a new spring assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jg rider;381776]HI Texas48, Bawanna. Yes Bawanna I'm still around. How's the snow up by you ?

The wife has a PM9 that the slide and the recoil spring plug have been Cerakoted. So when I replaced the inner spring for her she needed to keep the matching end nut. So I heated the end nut with a heat gun and it came right off in a soft jawed vise. I replaced the inner spring from another spring assembly, and red lock tighted the end nut in place. It's still in place after hundreds of fired rounds.

My question is where do you buy just the inner recoil spring

As a follow up. I bought a #2 recoil assembly from Kahr and when I installed it I couldn't lock back the slide. I tried a couple more times thinking I was doing something wrong. Same results and it was a 13 coil spring. Tech at Kahr told me to just fire the gun and springs would set themselves. I have never experienced this with any pistol I have owned. Has anyone had the same experiences with a new recoil assembly? Is this normal?
    Instead I installed the 20.5 recoil springs from Wolfe today and was not hard with a soft jawed vice and some heat. Reinstalled the nut using green lock tite. Big difference with the new springs racking slide. Have to get to the range to test it out. Thanks for all the responses and have enjoyed all the pictures. No snow here in San Antonio. Been in the 70's the last 3 weeks.

IMHO, if you can manually pull the slide back engage the slide stop into the notch. You should be ok. On our two PM9's we can pull the slides back about 1/16" to 1/8" past the slide stop. After that the spring will take a set.
    If you don't have that amount of free travel then there's a good chance that the spring coils are stacking up.
    That's MHO

What's green lock tite is it stronger then the red stuff ?

Default Installing Wolffe recoil springs in PM40 Guide rod.

Thanks jg rider you confirmed my suspicion. The tech was giving me bad info. Glad went with the 20.5 springs. Green loctite takes heat to get off but red is the strongest. I reinstalled the Nut with Red loctite after realizing that red loctite is the strongest of the 4 types. My PM40 is a 2006 and used a type 1 guide rod and because of the 1/2 inch end of the new type #2 that rides in the barrel grove may be too big and moves out of the grove when racking is causing the coil to bind. The new spring allows me to rack the slide normally and will lock back and they are considerably stronger than were in the gun when I bought it a month ago. I am sure they will tame the recoil.

Last edited by Texas48; 01-22-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Jg rider
    Did you install what looks to be Dawson sights or have a smith install?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas48 View Post
    Jg rider
    Did you install what looks to be Dawson sights or have a smith install?

The fronts are Hi-Viz f.o. and the rears are all black Novak style. Both were sold by Kahr. The Hi-viz are encased in a protective tube. The fronts are something I would recommend a smith or Kahr do for you. They are a almost a pressed fit in most cases. I did my own on our 4 Kahrs and it wasn't fun. I think Kahr has a special sight pusher.

DUH ! Double post

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    The fronts are Hi-Viz f.o. and the rears are all black Novak style. Both were sold by Kahr. The Hi-viz are encased in a protective tube. The fronts are something I would recommend a smith or Kahr do for you. They are a almost a pressed fit in most cases. I did my own on our 4 Kahrs and it wasn't fun. I think Kahr has a special sight pusher.
    Did you use a pusher on the fronts? Dawson has a special tool to install fronts. I have a pusher for tears. What problems did you have. Dovetail fronts are difficult to get most pushers to remove and install. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Texas48 View Post
    Did you use a pusher on the fronts? Dawson has a special tool to install fronts. I have a pusher for tears. What problems did you have. Dovetail fronts are difficult to get most pushers to remove and install. Thanks

Hi, Sorry it took so long to respond. If you go here you'll read what I did

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...051#post383051