Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "...the 1911 an old design that is more trouble than it is worth...."

Default "...the 1911 an old design that is more trouble than it is worth...."

That title is a quote from an old article/rant on Yankee Gun Nuts. The feller that wrote that would later say "It was the best military sidearm of its day, and for a long time afterward. I do not dispute that. But its time has long passed."
    Oh well....
    https://gfycat.com/SillyEnormousIntermediateegret
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

There are better weapons that used the Browning designed as a basis. A first good evolutionary step was the Browning HiPower. There are others that are now even better.

I watched that video a dozen times. Made my britches stick out in front. Awesome.

As for the venerable 1911, it's plenty good enough for me and I'm sticking with it for another 100 years. Then maybe, just maybe I'll see if there's anything better. I doubt there will be.

Funny yesterday the SWAT snipers went through their rifles, thoroughly cleaned, checked torques on mounts, etc. One needed a tool at my desk and then some help with a Harris Bipod mount. While helping he asked the significance of the framed photos all of 1911's hanging around my desk. I told him other than the fact that they are the finest handgun ever built they probably are wearing grips that I made.
    He looked somewhat perplexed after the finest handgun ever built comment. I asked him if he was a communist......finished my help and returned to my cubicle 1911 oasis.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

That robber probably still doesn't know he's dead. He was gone before he hit the floor.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Damn ! To bad he had to shoot through the display case. It could have deflected the bullet.....not!

Great video. it made me get out my Combat Commander and Combat Elite and fondle them for a while. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, a nice 1911 trigger sure feels nice! I just picked up an Advantage Arms "Target" version .22LR conversion for the 1911s. I'll be trying it out tomorrow for the first time. The AA conversion I bought for my Glock 22 works wonderfully and I hope their 1911 kit is just as good.

Tight groups,
    Bob

Talking The 1911s are OK

WOW what timing on this - LOL!
    Figured out how to field strip the V-Bob (with some trouble).
    Sadly the Tripp mags will not seat?
    So I ordered six low profile Wilson D47s (three 7 and three 8 round).
    Still waiting on the custom grips?
    EMailed for status with no response?
    Maybe I should of went with our resident grip guy Bawanna?

Anyway the fit and finish on the V-Bob is outstanding.
    Trigger amazing.
    Feel, balance and natural pointing - it looks like a winner.
    Can't wait to get it out and shoot.

BTW the unbranded night sights (Appear to be Heinie Straight Eights) have a larger front sight than my other Heinie sights?
    Also the front sight is green, the rear is like a burnt orange.
    It's a sweet sight picture

Also glad I went with an all stainless steel commander.
    Was worried it would be too heavy - it's not.

Can see why DW has a following.
    The quality is undeniable

Really wanted a Kahr K45 Stainless Elite.
    But as I wait for Kahr? I'll take the V-Bob.

Barth

It's never too late for Bawanna grips. The ones you ordered kind of humbled me. They look super nice.

I got a few things to wrap up and was gonna whittle out a few. We can see where your at when I get there.

Never hurts to have several sets so you can dress appropriately.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have 4 1911 pattern pistols: a custom Government model and a Commander made on Caspian frames to my design, a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail and a Dan Wesson ECO, an aluminum frame Officer size. All are .45s, except the ECO, which is a 9mm. All except the ECO needed gunsmithing to make them reliable. When new, the ECO needed a new front sight because the original sight was too tall for such a short barrel and shot way low. Once I explained the problem, Dan Wesson sent me a shorter front sight which worked well and I recommend their customer service. The first three are very accurate, but too heavy to carry in my opinion and I have rarely done so. The ECO is fine to carry and very accurate. For shooting, they are better than the other pistols I own.

For prospective defensive use, however, I prefer higher cap, 9mm striker-fired pistols with lighter-than-steel frames and adjustable grips. I feel very secure with a Glock 19 in 9mm or some other pistols with 15 or more rounds. For carry, my Kahrs do nicely, and fit my hand well, though I wish they had a faster shooting more precise trigger. (Yes. I have too many guns. My biggest fear is winning an NRA sweepstakes and suddenly having another three dozen guns.) While I do not think a defensive situation is likely for me, I believe more firepower and the ability to deliver it quickly and accurately may someday be decisive. The high cap, lightness and adjustable grip criteria speak for themselves as positive attributes. I like striker-fired pistols because it allows them to be considerably more compact and have lower bore axes, hence, easier to carry and fire additional rounds quickly. My Glock 19 is smaller than my ECO, even though the G19 has a barrel about 0.5" longer, and is lighter with each holding 9 rounds, though the G19 can carry 7 more rounds and weigh only slightly more. For that matter, a G19 is not that much bigger than a P9, though it feels much heavier. While I cannot quantify it, I would bet my G19, S&W M&P, HK VP9, or CZ P-01 would be less likely to fail than a 1911.

Like the realization that an automatic transmission can do virtually anything better than the manual transmissions that car afficionados required 40 years ago, there is a time to move on. This is CarTalk, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    I have 4 1911 pattern pistols: a custom Government model and a Commander made on Caspian frames to my design, a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail and a Dan Wesson ECO, an aluminum frame Officer size. All are .45s, except the ECO, which is a 9mm. All except the ECO needed gunsmithing to make them reliable. When new, the ECO needed a new front sight because the original sight was too tall for such a short barrel and shot way low. Once I explained the problem, Dan Wesson sent me a shorter front sight which worked well and I recommend their customer service. The first three are very accurate, but too heavy to carry in my opinion and I have rarely done so. The ECO is fine to carry and very accurate. For shooting, they are better than the other pistols I own.

For prospective defensive use, however, I prefer higher cap, 9mm striker-fired pistols with lighter-than-steel frames and adjustable grips. I feel very secure with a Glock 19 in 9mm or some other pistols with 15 or more rounds. For carry, my Kahrs do nicely, and fit my hand well, though I wish they had a faster shooting more precise trigger. (Yes. I have too many guns. My biggest fear is winning an NRA sweepstakes and suddenly having another three dozen guns.) While I do not think a defensive situation is likely for me, I believe more firepower and the ability to deliver it quickly and accurately may someday be decisive. The high cap, lightness and adjustable grip criteria speak for themselves as positive attributes. I like striker-fired pistols because it allows them to be considerably more compact and have lower bore axes, hence, easier to carry and fire additional rounds quickly. My Glock 19 is smaller than my ECO, even though the G19 has a barrel about 0.5" longer, and is lighter with each holding 9 rounds, though the G19 can carry 7 more rounds and weigh only slightly more. For that matter, a G19 is not that much bigger than a P9, though it feels much heavier. While I cannot quantify it, I would bet my G19, S&W M&P, HK VP9, or CZ P-01 would be less likely to fail than a 1911.

Like the realization that an automatic transmission can do virtually anything better than the manual transmissions that car afficionados required 40 years ago, there is a time to move on. This is CarTalk, isn't it?
    My personal experience is that accuracy is the difference.
    I love my Hks, but shoot 1911s better.
    If I can get a 1911 to run reliably?
    That could be the better choice