Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Why?

Default Why?

I have an original Kahr TP9 which was produced with the P frame. I never heard why Kahr decided to go with the longer grip frame, as the pistol was just perfect the way it was.

For years I carried the TP9 as my EDC before switching to the P45 in the last year or so. I just recently purchased a used TP45 to see what the difference is between the P and TP, and whether there really is a issue to swapping out slides and barrels.

Anyway, I am curious on whether anyone knows for sure, just why Kahr decided not to continue to produce the TP with the P size frame? Especially seeing that a number of those who purchase the TP feel the need to cut the grip down.

I've asked Kahr the same question at the shows. The only reply they have given is "capacity" and "market research suggested a bigger frame." I'm looking for the old style TP9 to purchase. It points perfect for me and conceals much better than the new, longer framed TP9.

Quote Originally Posted by K9gus View Post
    I've asked Kahr the same question at the shows. The only reply they have given is "capacity" and "market research suggested a bigger frame." I'm looking for the old style TP9 to purchase. It points perfect for me and conceals much better than the new, longer framed TP9.
    I've only seen one of the TP9 with the P frame and I purchased it immediately. That was over 15 years ago and I haven't seen another one new or used since. Good luck on your search!

Just got this back from the gunsmith, who shorten this TP45 to a P size frame.