CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New K9 - 1st outing and concern

Default New K9 - 1st outing and concern

I went to the range this weekend excited to try out my new K9, and was delighted to run over 200 rounds through it as a break-in - without a single failure and it shot very nicely.

Delighted. It is a beautiful gun.

Got home and took it apart to clean it, add the stainless guide rod, and new Tru Glo sights with my new sight pusher. The sights went on perfect.

Then I noticed the top of the barrel that is exposed in the ejector area had a small spot where the finish had chipped off. Right in the front adjacent to the slide. Only about 1/8 of an inch wide by 1/16" long, but troubling to see.

None of my other firearms have ever had this happen.

I'm going to call Kahr, but was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.

Would you think a replacement is in order, and if so...must I put another 200 "proving" rounds through?

I'm also wondering if a new barrel might change the accuracy - which I really liked.

I can't post a picture since I'm a Newbie here.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by gb6491; 01-26-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Add photos

That's a pretty normal contact point and all seem to get a wear/shiny spot there.

Be nice to see a picture of course but I don't think you have anything going on that will effect function.

The wear spot will not or shouldn't get any bigger. If it's burring up, then it might need attention but shiny or wear is probably pretty normal.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post

I can't post a picture since I'm a Newbie here.
    Welcome to the forums
    While it is true that you cannot post a photo as an attachment until you have made 30 posts, you can post photos here that have been uploaded to an offsite host such as photobucket or tinypic
    by using the [img]photo's url[/img] in your message body.
    Alternatively, send me a private message and I'll give you an email address to send them to. I'll then upload them for you.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Geo,
    It looks like the nickle plating on your barrel has flaked a bit.

As Bawanna says "That's a pretty normal contact point and all seem to get a wear/shiny spot there."

As I don't see any peening on your barrel, I'd also agree with his " ...I don't think you have anything going on that will effect function."

Here's a shot I just took of my CW45 and I think you can see the nickle has flaked on it in the same spot as your K9. I've not lost any sleep over it and it certainly hasn't affected the pistol's performance

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Or, do what I did and use a bit of polishing rouge and shine it up. Then, you won't have to look at the flaking.....................

I've never seen any flaking outside before like that. The shiny spot and even small amount of wear many times but never flaking.

I lightly polish up my whole barrel and hood. It's easy to do on a bench polisher. Doesn't take much at all. The slide is another story, it's tough.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Send a picture to Kahr, may get a new barrel. Looks like plating failed. I'm with Bawanna and the rest, shouldn't affect performance.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I'm sorry folks but this thing with flaking of Kahr barrels is unacceptable to me. It smells of poor quality control. I've read of others on this forum complaining of the same thing.

My son is a victim of this in his PM9. His is in the chamber and rifling

Wife and I have had our K9's since 1999 and I doubt any one here has put as many rounds through them as we have, and the barrels only show bright polishing where the slides rub against the barrels. Absolutely no flaking.

I really believe Kahr has lowered their standards to cut costs.

On our early 2000's PM9's there isn't any flaking, just polished areas. Again with a very high round count.
    Both slides were standard DLC coated slides that held up to anything abrasive. Has Kahr done away with this coating or is it now an option

Kahr got the pics and has told me they will replace the barrel, so I guess I can't complain - except for the inconvenience.

Do do you think I need to run another 200 rounds through it when it comes back?

I haven't sent it yet, of course.

I realize it it would not affect function, but the peeling bugged me enough to ask.

BTW, did you like the new sights?

Thanks to Greg for posting the pictures!

Best,

-Geo

You shouldn't have to do another 200 but definitely a few to check perfect function.

Did they want the whole gun back. I would think so to make sure the fit and everything is good.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan