Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag lips mod

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    Hi Tilos,
    I wasn't oing to post these pic but I guess there will be those that wonder if I've created a problem with feeding because of the off set barrel ramp. If so I don't see it.

I tested by positioning the barrel out of battery as when the slide goes back, with a loaded mag inserted

The first thing that happens as the round is pushed foreward is it does a dip

Then the nose rises as the rim starts into the flared area of the feed lips

Then it hits the feed ramp

The round starts going into the chamber perfectly centered on the feed ramp

With my mod the feeding process of the bullet nose stays lined up with the feed ramp, so I don't understand why Kahr leaves such a wide gap between the front of the feed lips
    OK, thanks for the pics
    Have you done the now common follower mod that Greg has perfected?
    It could be a sticky in the prep forum.
    It puts more pressure on the bullet/front of the ammo stack and eliminates the initial dip in the feeding cycle.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    OK, thanks for the pics
    Have you done the now common follower mod that Greg has perfected?
    It could be a sticky in the prep forum.
    It puts more pressure on the bullet/front of the ammo stack and eliminates the initial dip in the feeding cycle.
    I didn't know there was a follower mod until Greg posted earlier. I would have tried it if I'd known.

I didn't know there was a follower mod until Greg posted earlier. I would have tried it if I'd known.
    Do it now...it'll help
    along with polishing/buffing the lips,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

I don't need Greg's mod now. Either I was reading the wrong thread or it seem that his fix was to be able to sling shot the slide.

I corrected that problem a long time go on our 4 Kahrs by modding the extractors that prevented the slide to go into battery. Never had a ftf of the round not starting into the chamber. We always load the first round by first locking the slide back and then drop a round into the chamber and then sling shot the slide. The extractor has to do a force feed instead of a controlled fed like when stripping a round out of the mag.

Greg also seems to have corrected the next round under the feed lips from moving forward his way.

My mag lip mod was to correct the top round from popping out of the mag if dropped, bumped or while in a mag pouch.

The unexpected plus that I can't explain why is now the next round under the feed lips when a controlled feed is done is that they seem to only move forward about only 1/8" at the most, and if I try to force it up out of the lips it doesn't pop out.

I think this happens be cause now the front of the lips are now putting side pressure against the sides of the case,
    .330" front lip spread against .375" case diameter when lifted up .

Um ! I may have to rethink the lip spread and open them up a bit. Time will tell

LOL ! Like this ?

No, nothing as nice as that Victor anymore. My inventory now consists of an H-D Military and a custom Duramatic.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I don't need Greg's mod now. Either I was reading the wrong thread or it seem that his fix was to be able to sling shot the slide.

I corrected that problem a long time go on our 4 Kahrs by modding the extractors that prevented the slide to go into battery. Never had a ftf of the round not starting into the chamber. We always load the first round by first locking the slide back and then drop a round into the chamber and then sling shot the slide. The extractor has to do a force feed instead of a controlled fed like when stripping a round out of the mag.

Greg also seems to have corrected the next round under the feed lips from moving forward his way.

My mag lip mod was to correct the top round from popping out of the mag if dropped, bumped or while in a mag pouch.

The unexpected plus that I can't explain why is now the next round under the feed lips when a controlled feed is done is that they seem to only move forward about only 1/8" at the most, and if I try to force it up out of the lips it doesn't pop out.

I think this happens be cause now the front of the lips are now putting side pressure against the sides of the case,
    .330" front lip spread against .375" case diameter when lifted up .

Um ! I may have to rethink the lip spread and open them up a bit. Time will tell
    You said: "The first thing that happens as the round is pushed forward is it does a dip"
    That's the reason I mentioned/explained the follower mod... it stops that dip
    that's all,

The rounds doing a dip isn't a problem for me. There are no hang ups there. The only issues I've seen in the seven Kahrs I've worked on was extractor related. Where the extractors wouldn't go around the rims when chambering. To me they seemed to be to stiff, rough hooked. I believe that's why Kahr suggests the 200 rnd. break in to smooth out the knife edges.

That's my opinion, but I'm not an expert. I just mod what works for me

Here's the rounds we fire through our Kahrs

The top two are our carry loads, Fed. 147 gr HST and Win 147 RA9T

The bottom three are my cast 124 gr. RCBS conical nose, for practice. And the other two are used as the last round in every other mag to help clean out leading.

Never a problem
    Attached Images Attached Images