Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun

Thread: Howdy from Nevada

Light Bulb Howdy from Nevada

After extensive research I chose a Kahr CM9 w/ Tungsten finish to replace my old trusty Beretta P21a pocket pistol. Compared with other manufacturers Kahr & Beretta seem to supply the best quality for the money. In a final showdown between the Nano and CM9 the Kahr is smaller, more concealable, currently more available, & has a better reputation for long term reliability AFAIK. I'll find out if the CM9 shoots better for me than the Nano.

Replacing .22LR w/ 9mm for a backup handgun makes sense. My primary carry & favorite HD/SD carbine are in 9mm so I already have excellent ammo available for the CM9, a principle reason that I chose 9mm over .380 ACP.

Looking forward to cleaning & shooting the CM9 & a long time carrying it w/o having to deploy it.

Cheers!

Welcome SgtStone, You have found a wonderful carry gun and an amazing forum. There are lots of knowledgeable friendly folks here!!

So….I assume that you are former military from your moniker….yes…no??

If,,, you don't mind, where in NV are you from? We have a son in Henderson, that's the reason I'm asking. However, don't feel you have to get specific!

Welcome. The CM9 is my every day carry pocket pistol.
    I also had a Beretta 21a .22LR twenty years ago. Worst pistol I ever had. Would never cycle more than 3 rounds / magazine with out failure. Tried every brand of .22 available. Traded it in on a Ruger SP101.
    Never a problem with my Ruger or CM9.
    My companion carbines for HD/SD are Marlin 1894 lever in .357 mag 7+1; and Kel-Tec Sub2000 (new model) 9mm with green laser, side mounted red dot and Glock mag 33+1. Both carbines have primary aperture sights.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    Welcome...
    So….I assume that you are former military from your moniker….yes…no??

If,,, you don't mind, where in NV are you from? We have a son in Henderson, that's the reason I'm asking. However, don't feel you have to get specific!
    Thanks for the friendly reply. Yep! I'm a USAF veteran from a military-serving family -- father & uncles Army, mother Air Force, aunt Navy, son Army & National Guard. I was stationed in Nevada after serving in Viet Nam war to help design & operate electric warfare installations. Came back to be close to family, owning a home in Henderson. Now live in far Northwest Las Vegas in a smaller home.

I describe my location as the High Desert since I mainly shoot near Red Rock at DSRPC, an excellent private shooting club, & Clark County shooting complex way North on Decatur where it meets the foothills.

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Welcome. The CM9 is my every day carry pocket pistol.
    I also had a Beretta 21a .22LR twenty years ago. Worst pistol I ever had. Would never cycle more than 3 rounds / magazine with out failure. Tried every brand of .22 available. Traded it in on a Ruger SP101.
    Never a problem with my Ruger or CM9.
    My companion carbines for HD/SD are Marlin 1894 lever in .357 mag 7+1; and Kel-Tec Sub2000 (new model) 9mm with green laser, side mounted red dot and Glock mag 33+1. Both carbines have primary aperture sights.
    Sounds good! I presume you have a Glock pistol that matches your Kel-Tec carbine, not to mention a .357 handgun matched to the Marlin. I'm a believer in handgun/carbine pairs that use identical ammo & even identical magazines for semi-autos. It worked in the Old West when factory ammo was scarce. When my CM9 arrives, I'll be able to feed my primary carry, carbine, & pocket BUG from the same box of ammo!

The P21 took months of patient polishing to function reliably. I can get through 3 mags of CCI CP RN (copper plated round nose) .22LR at the range w/o a malfunction & consider that a minor victory. The tilt barrel's convenient to load & always fires that first round. Once the CM9 breaks in, the P21 becomes just a range gun mainly for visitors.

^^My full size 9mm is a Ruger SR9. I traded in a Ruger P85 which was 100% but the grip was too large for my hands and a Beretta 21 which was in .25 a.c.p. and worked 100 % but was retired when I got my Kel-Tec .32.
    I like my Kel-Tec sub 2000 for back-up in the house and also on car rides since it folds up so small in a carry bag. I also have 2 flush fit mags.
    My other 9's are Kahr CM9, CW9, and Taurus Pt111G2 (which so far is proving to be a great small double stack) No Glocks.
    My .357 magnum is S&W model 19-3. six inch barrel.
    Got a .327 Federal Mag Ruger SP101 a year ago. I understand Henry is coming out with a .327 mag in a lever action this Spring.
    Never had a S.A. revolver, always wanted one. None "spoke to me" until the other month when I picked up a Uberti .45 colt 5 1/2" barrel. Fits my small hand. I understand now what is meant by balance. Shoots to point of aim with my 255 gr. SWC handloads. Fun to shoot. I do not have a .45 Colt carbine. Not yet anyway.
    Recently acquired steel targets and looking forward to more shooting.

Welcome from New Mexico