Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carry with a roound in the chamber

The CM9 is my every day pocket carry for the past 5 years. I am on my feet most of the day and wear business casual pleated pants with a thick gun belt. Pocket carry has it's advantages: Good conceal-ability (no flashing), walking along with hand in pocket, no fallout when the pants are dropped in the rest room, shirttail can be tucked in. Element of surprise. My type of dress does not shout out concealed carry to any "bad guy". Always a pocket holster.
    Too many things can go wrong when trying to rack the slide for an emergency first shot.
    I chose the Kahr due to its size and double-action like trigger pull. I would not feel as comfortable with a Glock -like trigger. That is just me.
    If you decide on pocket carry a D/A revolver could be a consideration.

I have gone around on this....now I always carry one in chamber than add one back to magazine. My new favorite carry is my Smith and Wesson 1911SC Commander in a Galco King Tuk holster. Instead of the ole skool 230 grains I now shoot 185 grains in it for less recoil considering it is scandium light weight gun.

Oh...my pocket/appendix carry is a Ruger LC9s with safety.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Always run my guns with one in the chamber and the mag topped off.
    Pocket carry is no issue at all with a proper holster that covers the trigger.
    For me, that's DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly depending on the gun.
    For self defense? Generally like the KISS method of draw, aim, squeeze.
    Actually prefer using the mag release over sling shot.

To answer the post, yes always.

+1 in the chamber is a given as long as the firearm is in a stable secure all kydex holster with full trigger guard coverage and good retention. I carry my PM9 +1 all day long ready to go.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You have to do what your comfortable with. Kahrs are difficult to rack due to the strong springs and small size. Downloading the mag 1 round helps with the feeding but doesn't help at all with the racking.
    I'm not an advocate of pocket carry, never was, never tried it, never will. . . .

If life provided us warnings about things that were about to happen the empty chamber wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Unfortunately life comes at you fast, the bad guys, threats, whatever you want to call them have the advantage since they know what they are going to do. We have to play catch up.

But the bottom line is you have to do what works for you. If that means empty chamber then so be it. It's better than leaving the gun in the safe I guess by a little bit.
    Ditto your practice of carrying with a round chambered.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    . . .Actually prefer using the mag release over sling shot.
    Don't mean to be nit picking but I think you meant slide release. I prefer the slide release myself. It's always worked for me.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Quote Originally Posted by washerman View Post
    "if you prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide". This is quote from the Kahr website. I was asking if anyone had experimented with this and if it applied to all Kahr pistols and all kahr magazines. Thanks for the replies
    I know many Kahr pistols require one less round in a magazine to be able to chamber a round by racking the slide. This is more common among the 7 (and 8) rounder mags than the 6 rounder mags. But that does not apply to all Kahr pistols - meaning that comfortably broken-in Kahr pistols, especially ones with their feed ramp polished, can chamber a round from a fully loaded magazine by slingshotting the slide, so you will not have sacrifice one precious round to carry.

If you want to chamber a round from a fully loaded magazine (as opposed to loading one less round in a magazine) by racking the slide (even if you ride the slide), you may be interested to read about modification of the magazine follower in this sticky thread:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...r+modification

I have modified all of my mag followers as per the thread, so I can always chamber a round from a fully loaded magazine in the gun by simply racking the slide.

Here is another way of looking at it.... Would you carry a completely loaded revolver in your pocket? My guess is, yes, you probably would. Then why wouldn't you carry a Kahr in your pocket? It is a DAO pistol. It has a striker block safety that prevents the striker from discharging the gun unless, the trigger is pulled all the way back. Kind of like a revolver.... it can only go off if the trigger is pulled all the way back. I always carry my PM9 with one in the pipe. I always carry my concealed carry revolvers with completely loaded cylinders. I have only one revolver that is not safe to carry that way. It is a single action Ruger Old Army with a .45 Long Colt conversion cylinder. Hammer rests on an empty chamber. There is a reason why there isn't an external safety on a Kahr pistol (except as required by state of MA law). Hope this helps! :-)

Excellent comparison to the revolver. Wish I was smart enough to think up stuff like that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."