Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: PM45 and low power ammo, return to battery failure

Default PM45 and low power ammo, return to battery failure

Can or will using lower power ammo cause the gun to fail to fully return to battery. I have been shooting Freedom Munitions ball ammo, both new and reman and probably 2-4 rounds on average fail to return the slide to battery. The slide does not fully come forward. Sometimes it comes close enough where pulling the trigger will pull the slide forward but other times it does not come forward enough to engage the trigger. I have been reading that a recoil spring that is too light can cause this problem but in speaking with a Kahr tech he indicated it was likely the ammo or my grip. I have probably shoot about 100 rounds of Ranger T, Federal Hyroshock +P, and Speer Short
    Barrel HP loads and do not remember ever having this issue with any of these higher power loads. Most times a nudge forward with my thumb will be enough to fully move the slide to battery. I have not had this issue with my PM9 or P380 in shooting thousands of Freedom Munition ball ammo---never once. I have to believe it is either the recoil spring being too weak, or the recoil spring being to strong (by design for the short gun, or the ammo. Kahr rep thinks it is probably the ammo. Any thoughts?

Thanks

The tech was correct. It could be the ammo and your grip needs to be solid. Mine will eject cases into my face if I get lax on my grip.
    The higher powered loads not exhibiting the same issue pretty much confirms the ammo theory.

BUT with more rounds fired it may loosen up a tad and find the Freedom stuff more palatable in the future.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks, you and the tech may very well be right but... I had ordered a recoil spring from Kahr and it came in yesterday. I put it in, racked it a few times and took it to the range today. (I had problems with the Freedom Munitions loads and the original spring since it was new...about 500 rounds) I used Federal 230 round nose ball ammo. 100 rounds and zero failures. I did not have any Freedom Munitions ammo with me to try out so that cannot be ruled out. I will give it a try next time to the range. But, at lease I have a reasonably priced practice round that will function well. Confidence is way up now. I don't know if it was the spring or not but worst case scenario is I have a back up recoil spring assembly for $30. PS, no brass to the noggin today either
    So I think I can rule out shooter weak wristing. Now it is either the ammo or spring. I am thinking it is the ammo since the spring is so stiff by design I am thinking you need a full power load to move it all the way back and get the full spring forward.

I lean toward powder puff ammo myself. If anything the spring is too strong but it will get better. And again after some higher powered rounds for awhile the powder puff stuff might work just fine and dandy.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Back to the range with the new recoil spring assembly and Freedom Munitions 230 ball ammo. No issues whatsoever. Nothing like the previous issues I was having with the other spring. I was going to save the original for a back up, but now it is going to the trash. I think it has something to do with both springs in the assembly working in concert with each other, but I could be wrong. In any case my pm45 seems to shoot anything which makes me a happy camper.

We like happy campers. Glad that put the cure on that PM45.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by allthumbsplusone View Post
    Back to the range with the new recoil spring assembly and Freedom Munitions 230 ball ammo. No issues whatsoever. Nothing like the previous issues I was having with the other spring. I was going to save the original for a back up, but now it is going to the trash. I think it has something to do with both springs in the assembly working in concert with each other, but I could be wrong. In any case my pm45 seems to shoot anything which makes me a happy camper.
    Your kidding about the trash? If not I'll give you $10 plus shipping for it. I love spare parts. With more than 10k rounds through one of my pm45s I go through recoil springs and rods. The Wolff 20lb. pm9 springs function fine on the pm45.