Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeline mag followers

Default Lakeline mag followers

Earlier I posted on this forum how much I love my CM9 except for the occasional nose down jams with the top round hanging up on the barrel feed ramp. This has happened in two separate IDPA matches and a couple times during practice sessions. I've called Kahr Arms customer service to question whether or not that hump in the magazine follower contributes to the malfunction and one of their reps suggested the Lakeline aluminum mag followers as a remedy.

Meanwhile, I ordered a fourth magazine from a website and it arrived with a smooth follower, so I called Kahr again to see if they had gotten the message and changed followers. Apparently not, because they sent me some replacements (free of charge) that still had the humps.

I'd love to think the Lakeline followers would solve the problem but they are rather spendy at $20 apiece and if they don't provide an iron-clad solution, then I've just added another $60 loss to my woes with this gun.

So tell me: do these followers absolutely, unequivocally solve the nose down problem? Or, should I take my chances, spend an extra $10 and order a couple more magazines in hopes that they will have the smooth OEM followers (they are about $30+). Thanks for your input.

Why don't you smooth the ones you have. A dowel and some sandpaper and a bit of time. Use the smooth one you got as a pattern.

I've heard nothing but good about the Lakeline followers and other parts as well but I have no first hand experience.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    Earlier I posted on this forum how much I love my CM9 except for the occasional nose down jams with the top round hanging up on the barrel feed ramp. This has happened in two separate IDPA matches and a couple times during practice sessions. I've called Kahr Arms customer service to question whether or not that hump in the magazine follower contributes to the malfunction and one of their reps suggested the Lakeline aluminum mag followers as a remedy.

Meanwhile, I ordered a fourth magazine from a website and it arrived with a smooth follower, so I called Kahr again to see if they had gotten the message and changed followers. Apparently not, because they sent me some replacements (free of charge) that still had the humps.

I'd love to think the Lakeline followers would solve the problem but they are rather spendy at $20 apiece and if they don't provide an iron-clad solution, then I've just added another $60 loss to my woes with this gun.

So tell me: do these followers absolutely, unequivocally solve the nose down problem? Or, should I take my chances, spend an extra $10 and order a couple more magazines in hopes that they will have the smooth OEM followers (they are about $30+). Thanks for your input.

"So tell me: do these followers absolutely, unequivocally solve the nose down problem?"
    I can't confidently answer that in terms of absolutely or unequivocally; there are just too many variables: gun to gun, ammo to ammo, and shooter to shooter. I will say that I think the Lakeline follower is superior to the "hump" style OEM follower (I haven't tried the new style).

I also believe that Bawanna's advice about modifying followers you have is a valid point.

Below you'll find a post I made in your other thread and I'd like to also link to this video I made:

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    ....I have the Lakeline follower in my CW9's primary magazine. I believe it's a superior product that makes chambering a round from slide lock with the slingshot method less technique sensitive. It also holds the top round in place better than the OEM follower when carrying the magazine in a pouch or pocket. Finally, it virtually eliminates the chance of a broken front follower skirt. ( http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...845#post369845 )

With that said, I still use modified OEM followers in the rest of my Kahr 9mm magazines. They have the same operational attributes of the Lakeline followers, minus the durability aspect (especially in regards to the front skirt)
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...t-modification

If I used my 9mm Kahrs more often I would go with the Lakeline follower in more magazines. The exception being my MK9, which has magazines with Kahr's old all metal follower....
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Bawanna - Is there enough material in that hump to be removed with sandpaper? I'd hate to sand it all the way through.

It worked for Greg. I've never had to do it myself but watched the process described in Gregs video. It worked perfectly for him and I thought it was brilliant of him to try that. That was also quite some time back so like Studebaker he's way ahead of the rest of us.

I suspect there is plenty of material and since you were planning to just take a chance and order new ones, you got nothing to lose by giving it a try..
    Looking at one, it doesn't take much to remove the hump.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'd like to get the lake line followers but the cost is almost as much as a complete magazine.

gb - Can I assume the rounds you chambered with the easy slingshot went completely into battery? Obviously, I didn't see you shoot the gun, but if it works that well, it might be worth the investment. As Bawanna says, I can always go back to the stock followers with the hump if my sandpaper experiment doesn't help (or break down and buy the Lakeline followers).

This is all a bit frustrating for a Glock-lover because I've got nearly 1,000 rounds downrange with several of these malfunctions. That's never been an issue with any of my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    gb - Can I assume the rounds you chambered with the easy slingshot went completely into battery? Obviously, I didn't see you shoot the gun, but if it works that well, it might be worth the investment. As Bawanna says, I can always go back to the stock followers with the hump if my sandpaper experiment doesn't help (or break down and buy the Lakeline followers).

This is all a bit frustrating for a Glock-lover because I've got nearly 1,000 rounds downrange with several of these malfunctions. That's never been an issue with any of my Glocks.
    Yes, those rounds went completely into battery. I haven't made a video shooting with the Lakeline follower installed.

Modified OEM followers can work just as well, but the performance can vary with how well the modification is done.

Good to read that you haven't had an issue with your Glocks. My track record isn't as good with them. I had an early G30S that had the failure to return to battery issue that many folks experienced and a GEN3 G19 that had stovepipes until I replaced the MIM extractor.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

As I can only include one video per post, here's a video from when I had my CM9 (it's magazines had modified followers in them)

Regards,
    Greg

I wanna know what kind of bandsaw that is. From the looks of the table it looks like a good one.

I'm pondering upgrading to a bigger one myself. Something I can put thicker blades on and rip slabs better. Be a real time saver.

The follower mods obviously work quite well for hand racking.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan