Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights

Thread: CW380 recoil springs

Thumbs down CW380 recoil springs

Re-assembly after cleaning with the factory/standard, double (concentric) recoil springs is a pain-in-the-a** compared to the single recoil spring design of the CW45, for example. Does anyone know of an available "custom" (i.e., 3rd party), reliable, single spring replacement ... or if the the people at Kahr are working to improve this weak design feature. Otherwise pleased with the gun, but the double recoil spring is complete nonsense.

Have not heard of anyone working on this. If it's any consolation though, it does get easier with practice and use. It's helpful to position both spring 'ends' towards the top of the slide. This helps prevent those pesky ends from protruding through the rod hole. I don't give it a second thought now, unless I've got new springs. Then !?&$*%#. 😳
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

When new the springs are next to impossible to install. I replaced my springs last week, and it literally took me 20 minutes of fussing and cussing to finally get the guide rod in place. Once you've shot the pistol a few times they compress and it becomes a lot easier. And like you I really feel Kahr needs to get with the times and change the design to a captured recoil spring assembly.

Man, you guys are right! I've just been attempting my first new recoil springs replacement, and what a bear! I finally gave up and squeezed the springs along with the spring guide in a vice for a day or so. After that I'll try topgun1953's suggestion of positioning the spring ends toward the top of the slide. The problem I've been having is I can't keep the spring end from blocking the narrow opening in the slide that the guide goes through.

This was posted in an earlier thread by "Jimbo TN" about using a 1/4" dowel rod. It's an excellent idea that works well.

I thought I was going to have to sell my CW40 because I simply couldn't power the spring and rod into position. After several tries I almost gave up when I saw a 1/4" dowel rod in my kit. Inserted it through the hole in the slide and into the spring up to where the rod was. That prevented the spring from contorting during installation and popping into space. MY problem was weak hands and flexing spring. The dowel rod made all the difference in the world and I can now easily reinstall the spring/guide rod so...CW40 stays. Maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks, markman and jimbo TN. I'll give this a try. It makes sense.

Problem resolved! I didn't have a dowel rod handy, but did have the OEM recoil spring guide that I'd replaced with a stainless steel version, which of course was a perfect fit. The spring and guide snapped in easily. Thanks again guys. Another example of the tremendous knowledge shared on this site.

The easiest way I found to deal with CW380 reassembly is to put the front end of the spring guide (with recoil springs on the guide and the barrel in the gun) into the correct place at the front of the gun, with the other end of the guide still free. THEN, I turn the slide muzzle-up and put the rear end of the recoil spring guide on the surface of a table with the slide hanging off the edge of the table. With the slide in this position, I can push down on the muzzle with all my weight and force the front end of the recoil guide just barely through the hole under the muzzle. When the end of the recoil guide pokes through, I can slide the other end of the recoil guide off the table and into position on the barrel. I've only done it once this way, but I was shocked at how easy it was (after struggling for a LONG time).