Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most reliable RANGE ammo for CW380

Default Most reliable RANGE ammo for CW380

I have the CM9 and love it. Feed it Fiocchi and no problems. For my birthday (happy birthday to me) I'm buying the CW380. I have read several times the 380 does NOT like Fiocchi. If that's the case, would someone recommend the best reliable RANGE ammo? Precision One for carry. But what is cheap and reliable for range?

I have a P380, and Magtech has been really good for me. Seems to run pretty clean too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CW380. I've run... Monarch brass case (Sports Academy, 13-15 bucks- rebranded PPU from Serbia), Win White Box blount nose, Remington UMC, PPU, Blazer, and American Eagle. My CW380 has been polished and tuned and I have only rare problems- and then usually only after gun is dirty. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a failure in the first 30 rounds or so. (last range day, ~200 rounds, zero issues first 100 or so, then a weird FTE after it was getting dirty... and even then it may have been the casing, not the gun). While cheap, I don't use Tula since the groove is narrower than most 380 ammo. One of my other 380s hates it so I don't recommend it at all. By the way, ran into a guy who shoots 380 and is SO meticulous, he uses a CALLIPER to measure each bullet and only shoots those that are within his desired spec. I said, is there THAT much difference in bulk ammo? He said yes. I have no first hand experience. that's just what he said. (I'm not that meticulous).

Quote Originally Posted by u380b View Post
    CW380. I've run... Monarch brass case (Sports Academy, 13-15 bucks- rebranded PPU from Serbia), Win White Box blount nose, Remington UMC, PPU, Blazer, and American Eagle. My CW380 has been polished and tuned and I have only rare problems- and then usually only after gun is dirty. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a failure in the first 30 rounds or so. (last range day, ~200 rounds, zero issues first 100 or so, then a weird FTE after it was getting dirty... and even then it may have been the casing, not the gun). While cheap, I don't use Tula since the groove is narrower than most 380 ammo. One of my other 380s hates it so I don't recommend it at all. By the way, ran into a guy who shoots 380 and is SO meticulous, he uses a CALLIPER to measure each bullet and only shoots those that are within his desired spec. I said, is there THAT much difference in bulk ammo? He said yes. I have no first hand experience. that's just what he said. (I'm not that meticulous).
    Unbelievable with the caliper and the ammo. Either he is the most careful person, or it's OCD.

I use PPU for the Snubby. But then again I use Fiocchi for the CM9. So that's why it's good hearing what range ammo works well with the CW380. So I'll start of with Magtech and Remington UMC - and see how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by u380b View Post
    By the way, ran into a guy who shoots 380 and is SO meticulous, he uses a CALIPER to measure each bullet and only shoots those that are within his desired spec. I said, is there THAT much difference in bulk ammo? He said yes. I have no first hand experience. that's just what he said. (I'm not that meticulous).
    Actually that wouldn't surprise me. I've seen terrible quality control issues with some of the bulk ammo (especially WWB) like high primers and missing case rims (not machined into the case). The .380 is such a small round that little variations in OAL or rim depth/thickness can cause issues, especially in small guns like the Kahr. So you either have to run premium ammo through them or keep an eye on the quality control of the ammo you use.

Remington UMC works great in mine, as well as Blazer and American Eagle. I mostly run American Eagle, now. I've shot one box of PPU without issue. I can shoot WWB blunt nose, but every now and then I have to help the slide home. I guess if you can get it cheap enough and don't mind, that would be fine for range use, but I don't care for it. With the exception of Fiocchi, most brass, round-nose ammo will work fine, and there is a fix for the Fiocchi issue. I haven't done it, yet, but might do that this spring.

Salty

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    With the exception of Fiocchi, most brass, round-nose ammo will work fine, and there is a fix for the Fiocchi issue. I haven't done it, yet, but might do that this spring.
    I must have missed the memo somewhere. What is the issue with Fiocchi ammo in these guns., and what is the "fix"? Of course I've got a couple boxes of Fiocchi ammo and could find out myself, the hard way...

Shot about 125 rounds thru my P380 today. 50 box of PPU were the best. 50 box of Remington UMC were not so great. I won't buy them. again. Shot a clip of Magtech and that wasnt so great, but need to shoot more to trulu tell. Shot a clip of Hornady Critic Defense and those went through perfect. With that being said, I only have a total of 150 rounds through the gun. So its not technically broken in. I'm hoping it will get more reliable with time.

I shoot Freedom Munitions at the range and rely on Hornady Custom XTP's for my edc in my CW380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I must have missed the memo somewhere. What is the issue with Fiocchi ammo in these guns., and what is the "fix"? Of course I've got a couple boxes of Fiocchi ammo and could find out myself, the hard way...
    Fiocchi 380 will jam with prejudice. Each round. There is an explanation somewhere here but basically something like the brass is like a thousandth of an inch thicker.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk