CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most reliable RANGE ammo for CW380

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I must have missed the memo somewhere. What is the issue with Fiocchi ammo in these guns., and what is the "fix"? Of course I've got a couple boxes of Fiocchi ammo and could find out myself, the hard way...
    It involves removing a small amount of material from the extractor.
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...emove+material

Salty

Interesting. I guess once I'm done figuring out the source of my current malfunction issues I can try running some Fiocchi through my gun in case I feel like troubleshooting it all over again.

Default Fiocchi did not work for me...

I just bought a CW380 and two boxes of Fiocchi at the same time. Failure to feed and or go into battery on at least 70/100. Multiple stove pipes. Failure to extract on at least 20/100.

Very painful on the hands forcing the slide into battery. Lots of cuts (actually only one) trying to get the empty cases out.

I am reluctant to use another 100 to complete the break in period.

I am aware of the mod to the extractor but really, I would prefer to stick with different ammo. I was just searching the forums for recommendations and I noted these down from others:-

Winchester white box
    PMC
    American Eagle
    Blazer.

Not tried them yet. But based on my experience with their 9mm versions I'll try Blazer/Winchester then American Eagle then PMC.

I also bought a box of Hornady FTX as well.

FYI - the whole box of Hornady FTX behaved perfectly. I purchased another.

Good choices on ammo - except the Fiocchi.

FWIW - Cabela's has American Eagle 380 on sale for $13.34 per box of 50 rounds. If you buy $50 or more, it's free shipping too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    I was just searching the forums for recommendations and I noted these down from others:-

Winchester white box
    PMC
    American Eagle
    Blazer.

Not tried them yet. But based on my experience with their 9mm versions I'll try Blazer/Winchester then American Eagle then PMC.
    For some reason I don’t understand, Winchester White Box 380 has a flat nose unlike Winchester white box 9 mm. I’d stick with the others.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    For some reason I don’t understand, Winchester White Box 380 has a flat nose unlike Winchester white box 9 mm. I’d stick with the others.
    My $0.02, I have had a P380 for ~3+ yrs. My only initial non ammo related problem was it would not lock back after last round which is one of the main reason I purchased it. Numerous trips to Kahr did not solve problem. Some where along the way the P380 solved its own problem and locks back now.
    Anyway to the ammo issue, with my P380, it eats everything but Flat Nose rounds no matter who makes them. As for most consistent I rate American Eagle, Remington and from an EDC standpoint, Hornady Critical Defense has been fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good read. All good range ammo in one thread 👍

My wife and I just got done shooting about 200 rounds of Fiocchi thru her cw380 and we had the same results as far as going into battery on about 30-40 % of the ammo. Also noticed the ammo was filthy with black soot on everything.

An ammo report on a CW380 (and just for those searching for P380 CT380 380 etc which I believe has the same guts, more or less). The weapon was purchased new and has a highly polished feed ramp from the factory. The 6 round magazine has been modified using the MagGuts innards to enable it to contain 7 rounds. Leading up to this test it has so far fired (very painfully) 100 rounds of fiocchi ammo which I will not attempt to use again in this weapon and also 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense FTX which behaved perfectly.

I raided Jax and Cabellas for all their cheapest 380 ammo (I did not purchase Winchester white box as it was only available in bulk) and ended up with:

Browning Performance Target 95 FMJ
    Remington UMC 95 FMJ
    Sig Sauer Elite Performance 100FMJ
    ArmsCor 95 FMJ
    Herter's Selct Grade 95 FMJ
    Sig Sauer V-Crown 90 JHP (on sale)
    Blazer Brass 95 FMJ
    HPR Hyper Clean 100 FMJ

and tested them in the following way:-

Each ammo was used to fill the magazine (7 rounds, see above). Magazine inserted and slide release pressed. The slide was cycled by hand through the chamber and ejected. There were a few issues of failure to go into battery but this was likely due to my not releasing the slide properly and easing it down a little. I will speak of this later.

At the range - live test.

Each ammo was used to fill the magazine (7 rounds) and inserted into the weapon. Slide release pressed. Weapon fired approximately every second until empty. Test was then repeated totaling 14 rounds of each ammo through the weapon.

There were NO failures at all during this live test. All ammo behaved perfectly. (only 14 rounds tried though).

Back to my hand cycling. A couple of the brands failed to go into battery as described. However, repeating the test being careful to fully release the slide resulted a test with zero failures.

I hope this is informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    An ammo report on a CW380 (and just for those searching for P380 CT380 380 etc which I believe has the same guts, more or less). The weapon was purchased new and has a highly polished feed ramp from the factory. The 6 round magazine has been modified using the MagGuts innards to enable it to contain 7 rounds. Leading up to this test it has so far fired (very painfully) 100 rounds of fiocchi ammo which I will not attempt to use again in this weapon and also 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense FTX which behaved perfectly.

I raided Jax and Cabellas for all their cheapest 380 ammo (I did not purchase Winchester white box as it was only available in bulk) and ended up with:

Browning Performance Target 95 FMJ
    Remington UMC 95 FMJ
    Sig Sauer Elite Performance 100FMJ
    ArmsCor 95 FMJ
    Herter's Selct Grade 95 FMJ
    Sig Sauer V-Crown 90 JHP (on sale)
    Blazer Brass 95 FMJ
    HPR Hyper Clean 100 FMJ

and tested them in the following way:-

Each ammo was used to fill the magazine (7 rounds, see above). Magazine inserted and slide release pressed. The slide was cycled by hand through the chamber and ejected. There were a few issues of failure to go into battery but this was likely due to my not releasing the slide properly and easing it down a little. I will speak of this later.

At the range - live test.

Each ammo was used to fill the magazine (7 rounds) and inserted into the weapon. Slide release pressed. Weapon fired approximately every second until empty. Test was then repeated totaling 14 rounds of each ammo through the weapon.

There were NO failures at all during this live test. All ammo behaved perfectly. (only 14 rounds tried though).

Back to my hand cycling. A couple of the brands failed to go into battery as described. However, repeating the test being careful to fully release the slide resulted a test with zero failures.

I hope this is informative.
    Fiocchi is fantastic ammo and NOT dirty. What some are missing is the fact that Fiocchi makes different ammo. The Cheap Linea has a OAL that is too long for the Kahr, The Extrema works great. Should be some post on this, at least there use to be. For the most part Kahr's can be very finicky. Just find the right ammo and you should be ok.