Crimsontrace   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I really want a CW380 or P380 but i'm hesitant

Default I really want a CW380 or P380 but i'm hesitant

Here's the issue:

You have this chincey slide release spring mated to a steel spring release screw that goes into a plastic frame with a big warning not to overtighten.

All the other issues i feel i can deal with. I know the cw380 doesn't like fiocchi ammo, don't care that much, i think there's even a work around for it. I've felt the pistol and it's amazing. Typical Kahr buttery smooth trigger that is a work of art. The ergonomics are astoundingly good for a pistol of the size. Pick one up, then the smorgasbord of competitors (lcp et al) and they're universes apart.

I've owned one other Kahr. A CM45 that i loved dearly.

Is my concern overblown? Anyone have issues with this part?

Your concern is a bit overblown, yes, I'd say.

That spring sometimes need tweakage, but once set, seems to stay put and last a long long time.

Four Kahr pistols here. One had a spring issue, and once that was determined, it was an easy fix. The "do not overtighten" caution is just that, a caution. Worst case - you over tighten and strip out some polymer. Hello JB weld or Accraglass or other strong epoxy type filler. Actually... if you use some stainless powder in with Accraglass, its stronger than the original poly nylon-66 is. But try not to strip the screw out. Its easy to just snug it up and forget about it for next to forever.

My own tweakage was due to the spring being bent laterally, which held the slide stop out laterally just a mm or so, and... it would occasionally hang up, only while hand racking. I thought it was my finger hitting it while racking, tried this and that. It was the spring. No biggie, out came the spring, a little counter tweak with needle nose pliers, in goes the spring. Done. Hasn't hiccuped since.

There are little grooves in the washer that hold it, so that once its positioned, it tends to stay put.

That's about all I can think of. Its something misunderstood, feared, avoided... by folks, but.... its just a little spring, easily replaced, and easily repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Your concern is a bit overblown, yes, I'd say.

That spring sometimes need tweakage, but once set, seems to stay put and last a long long time.

Four Kahr pistols here. One had a spring issue, and once that was determined, it was an easy fix. The "do not overtighten" caution is just that, a caution. Worst case - you over tighten and strip out some polymer. Hello JB weld or Accraglass or other strong epoxy type filler. Actually... if you use some stainless powder in with Accraglass, its stronger than the original poly nylon-66 is. But try not to strip the screw out. Its easy to just snug it up and forget about it for next to forever.

My own tweakage was due to the spring being bent laterally, which held the slide stop out laterally just a mm or so, and... it would occasionally hang up, only while hand racking. I thought it was my finger hitting it while racking, tried this and that. It was the spring. No biggie, out came the spring, a little counter tweak with needle nose pliers, in goes the spring. Done. Hasn't hiccuped since.

There are little grooves in the washer that hold it, so that once its positioned, it tends to stay put.

That's about all I can think of. Its something misunderstood, feared, avoided... by folks, but.... its just a little spring, easily replaced, and easily repaired.
    Thanks CJB that helps ease my mind.

CJB says it straight on. CM45 and a PM9, no issue, don't even think about it.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Not a problem with my P9 either. Screw was set at the factory and I've never had cause to touch it. 2K+ rounds through my P9 as of last Thursday.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

PM9 used, CW380 used a great deal, CW380 new. No problem with any of them.

I own a P380 and have not experienced any issue with the particular part (though I have had some issues with the original striker). Some individual P380 pistols may need a bit of tweeking, but once you have the bugs worked out, it is a joy to shoot. Very reliable and accurate. Overall, it is a well-built pocket gun.

I was worried about the same exact thing but I ordered my p380 last week and I have been shooting it this week. So far pretty happy, took it apart a few times no problem putting back together and I didn't damage the spring and if I do Kahr has great customer service they'll help me out. Mean while finally I have a gun I can put in my back pocket and it shoots just as good as my MK 9 which is cool.

Is there a spec on tightening the torx screw. Kahr suggested I check to see if it's loose as I'm experiencing premature slide locks.

And if loose to snug it a little.

Thanks.

-jts

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

In response to the op, my CW380 has no problem with Fiocchi Extrema 90 gr. XTP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk