CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P380 Break-in FTF almost every magazine 100 rounds

Default P380 Break-in FTF almost every magazine 100 rounds

Hello all, just purchase a new P380. I was expecting some FTF and failure to return to battery but man not every magazine, multiple times. So to break in I cleaned as soon as I got it and gave it a generous lubing. Racked slide a couple of hundred times. Made sure I had a firm grip and wasn't limp wristing at range. Took some American Eagle FMJ and Precision One FMJ (slight flat nose which I know the P380 doesn't like) to range. So out of 15 magazines only got two mags to run without an issue, ironically one of the two was the last mag I shot and put some Federal hollow points in. So should I send to Kahr or put another 100 rounds through so I hit the 200 round break in? I mean I probably had 30 FTF or return to battery out of 100 rounds (really didn't seem to get better toward the 14th magazine, 15 mag with hollow points, made it all 6 rounds without issue). I had a few issues with my PM9 but nothing like this. Thanks for any suggestions.

Unfortunately Kahr is probably going to tell you that you need to put 200 rounds through it before it starts working right, which of course is bull but try telling them that. Make sure you have it thoroughly cleaned and well-lubed, then take another crack at it. Mine didn't stop having FTF issues until I replaced the magazine internals with MagGuts kits, which use a steel follower that not only adds an extra round but also stops the rounds from nose-diving during feeding.

Thanks dsk, yeah I will go ahead and put another 100 rounds through it. I like the looks of the MagGut kits a little pricey but worth it, half the time it doesn't hold the slide open on the last round, even with a empty mag I have to manually apply the slide lock sometimes. I should probably number my magazines.

The fact that it ran the Federal hollow points tells me the other practice stuff might not have enough horsepower to cycle things as they should.

Given more rounds it should cycle those just fine and dandy but for now it's balking on ya.

I don't know what practice ammo is the hottest but Kahrs like full power stuff especially at first.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If you haven't already done so, retract the slide and leave it that way for a day or two before heading back out to the range. That should help break in the recoil springs faster.

Respectfully, make sure your wrist is really locked. Revolvers and full size semi autos are much more forgiving but with micro semi auto pistols any looseness at all will absorb enough of the recoil that you get those issues.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Thanks everyone

Bawanna- The weird thing about the Federal HP is they were marked low recoil on box (granted I only ran 6 rounds through it). Thought about running some Buffalo Bore +P through it, not a big fan of +P in .380 though.

dsk- Yeah I left the slide open for a couple of days before shooting, maybe I will do it again before shooting again (also manually racked the slide a couple of hundred times before shooting).

SlowBurn- I had wrist locked and a death grip on pistol as I know how susceptible these small pistols are to limp wristing.

I guess the good thing is Kahr seems to be pretty good about fixing issues in their guns. Anymore suggestions are welcome. I think I will try another brand of ammo that has some good kick to it, any suggestions?

With todays spring technology, locking the slide back and leaving it will have very little benefit but it can't hurt.

Shooting it, working that spring gets r dun the best.

I'm also not a fan of +P in anything myself. But you need full power, non girlyman loads at least for break in.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Update: Next time at range seemed to get better. FTF every third magazine. Took home cleaned again, used a dremel with soft-wool tip and Glitz to polish ramp, barrel, breach face, magazine (also installed magGuts in one magazine, Nice!). Also someone on another post was insistent on using grease on the recoil springs as they sometimes bind so I did that. Went to range shot another box of federal 90 grain Hydra-shok flawlessly (2nd box of hydra-shok never had an issue). Also ran a box of 50 Remington FMJ and only had one FTF. Headed in the right direction!

You remind me of me. By the time you've burned 3,000 rounds through your pistol you should have a reliable carry piece.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Kahr should make guns like yours and mine the rare exceptions, not the rule.