Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: First Aid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I teach outdoor emergency care. I agree with other posters, you don't need to buy anything to make an effective tourniquet. Any decent loop of material and a stick will do just fine. In reality, a tourniquet probably isn't appropriate for a simple GSW. Even if you manage to hit an artery direct pressure and elevation will likely do the trick. A tourniquet can do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    I teach outdoor emergency care. I agree with other posters, you don't need to buy anything to make an effective tourniquet. Any decent loop of material and a stick will do just fine. In reality, a tourniquet probably isn't appropriate for a simple GSW. Even if you manage to hit an artery direct pressure and elevation will likely do the trick. A tourniquet can do more harm than good.
    Agreed..............I carry a couple of t shirts in my bag. You can put your finger in a bullet hole. You can tie t shirt material around as a tourniquet, or use it to apply pressure. Depending on where you are when this negligence happens, if you hit a major artery, your in big trouble regardless of what your carry, and with adrenaline pumping, could bleed out quickly. I've heard of people carrying a mini torch with them................bite down on a stick and cauterize.