Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $50 Crimson Trace K grips- after rebate! LOOK SEE! !Rebate expires end of April 2017

Default $50 Crimson Trace K grips- after rebate! LOOK SEE! !Rebate expires end of April 2017

Hi All,

FNG here..I found some grips for my k40 at OpticsPlanet.com http://www.opticsplanet.com/crimson-...k40-lg460.html

The link to the rebate is on the page but you can also go here http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/...n-trace-rebate to print and send.

In any event, the grips are $101.99 on sale. It will take 8-10 weeks to get the rebate but not a bad deal overall..since I was thinking about buying them anyway. Retail is $299 uggh, which is probably why they are discontinued.

I usually don't like or use lasers but meh, maybe I just don't know lasers.

Hello! Time for my first post, I guess.

I hadn't messed with my Dec 1998 vintage K40 that I bought used for years, since the plastic trigger spacer disintegrated and let the transfer bar come out of the trigger so I lost tons of confidence in the design and I found I'm not a big fan of 40S&W.

Fast forward to today when I decide to finally get it squared away (fixed myself) so it can work, even if it may just sit in the safe. I go to order parts and after some back and forth with Kahr to make sure I get everything I need since their shipping is a touch on the high side and I only want order once. Low and behold after telling me it already has an Elite trigger based on serial number, I send them pics and they confirm it actually has an NYPD trigger. I suspect since my trigger pin was walking that a PO probably swapped parts with an NYPD K9, but who knows.

Being one to never be able to sell even guns that I'm not crazy about I go poking around at things like night sights and I stumble across this Crimson Trace rebate deal that Monadnock just posted. I Googled and found coupon code RKET4 that knocks off another 5%. So I'm at $96.89 up front with free shipping and will be getting $50 back from the rebate. Even with the stamp to mail in my rebate form and UPCs I'll be at under $50 for a set of laser grip with free lifetime batteries. I couldn't pass it up.

It's such a good deal that I wanted to share it with someone, so I blew the dust off my unused Kahrtalk account and found this thread already started.

This will be my second set of CT laser grips and third laser in general including a Streamlight TLR-2s. I recently bought a set of very nice G10 ones off Dvor for a Dan Wesson CCO I just picked up. I got those just before this new rebate, but supposedly I saved over $100 which is my I jumped on the Dvor deal even though the CCO was already an OCD splurge.

I don't love what the pressure switch does to the grip so far, but I expect to get used to it and the idea of a laser is starting to grow on me.

As for my K40, the lobes on the cocking cam are a little worn looking and the transfer bar may have gotten tweaked since it was flopping around before I realized WTF was going on (I was pissed that I was actually carrying the thing with a dead trigger for a little bit), so I plan on ordering a trigger, trigger spacer, trigger spring, transfer bar, cocking cam, and trigger pin since mine is looser than the notoriously tight ones they normally are.

I considered a new striker too since it's the other mating surface to the cocking cam, but it looks okay and I already feel sort of like I'm dumping money into yesterday's news. I think I'll just order a Wolff recoil spring elsewhere like Midway rather than go with the factory Kahr one for slightly more.

My slide to frame fit is not at all tight, and when I dry fire it the slide lifts up a little bit at one point and there's a sort of click just before the striker is released. I seems to be the firing pin block action.

Anyways, I know this is bit of a word diarrhea type post, but I wanted to share (the coupon code for) this stupid great deal.

Thanks for the info monadnock and Veritas_Vincit
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I tried these grips on a friends Kimber .45 recently. :| It might be a thing I have to get used to and train with..there are several videos on the Utubs that I've been meaning to review..

Agreed, Veritas, the pressure switch was distracting and the laser, kind of annoying because he never really got it sighted in. The whole time I was shooting it, the dot was floating 2 foot off the target (50ft). I really just wanted the wood check grips or those sweet Lakeline grips but I got caught up in the excitement over saving $250.00 and I'm old enough to where lasers still seem like Jedi magic so, I pulled the trigger on them.
    Last edited by Monadnock; 03-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monadnock View Post
    I tried these grips on a friends Kimber .45 recently. :| It might be a thing I have to get used to and train with..there are several videos on the Utubs that I've been meaning to review..

Agreed, Veritas, the pressure switch was distracting and the laser, kind of annoying because he never really got it sighted in. The whole time I was shooting it, the dot was floating 2 foot off the target (50ft). I really just wanted the wood check grips or those sweet Lakeland grips but I got caught up in the excitement over saving $250.00 and I'm old enough to where lasers still seem like Jedi magic so, I pulled the trigger on them.
    Are you saying you were unable to get enough adjustment to sight it in?

As you probably know, due to parallax, the dot is going to fall on the point of impact only at a particular distance where the beam and bullet intersect on their paths from different origins. Also, the bullet's path will be an arc, the laser will be straight, and the sights also have parallax.

On my Dan Wesson CCO with the G10 CT grips, which I've only manipulated and fondled in the house so far, I adjusted the laser point of impact to be closer to the where the sights show at what I estimated to be 50 feet. They were a bit off from where the sights pointed when I first put them on. When I finally get around to shooting and breaking in the CCO I'll see whether the sights and laser point close to where the bullets actually land.

Hi, yes and no, he said similar, that it was set up for a shorter distance but walking up on the target I couldn't really find that distance where it shot and pointed in the same spot. I shoot at an always empty, untended range (read- pole building in the country with bullet catchers on one side) so I pulled a table up at different distances and used it to stabilize, still was off but to a lesser degree.

I've watched a few videos on how to dial it in now and how to point shoot with a laser grip.. the jury is still out on whether it will be cool or tedious and annoying on my carry gun.

I've been shooting a lot this winter, a few times a week and my aim, timing, fluidity is getting fairly consistent. Shooting his laser felt like I was focusing on all the wrong things and taking more time to get the first and subsequent shots on target.. but I only shot a few mags so, Ima reserve judgement till I get it all set up and running.

I did like his Kimber but after comparing, I like my K40 better. In truth though, my inner magpie is horribly covetous of his K6 revolver.

Just wanted to add that there is an OpticsPlanet LUCKY10 10% off code today only in honor of St Patricks Day. That's $10.80 off the $107.99 and free shippping to boot. Total after rebate will be $47.19 for a new waranteed laser grip! Just cannot pass it up!

Thanks for the hot tip!

So, i got the grips, put them on. They were pretty much dead on, I didn't have to align the sights.. I just don't think I like them for shooting. I watched the vids of the guys saying why they were good and how they helped in a tactical situations and point shoot but..I'm a decent shot and shoot a lot already. Relying on these things seems counter-intuitive..and it messed up my regular, shooting shooting, having that little blob floating around the target.. Are these for folk who want to carry but just don't want to aim or what?

The material is hard, cheap plastic, the backstrap is smooth, the finger grip on/off switch is something I'd have to get used to gripping. They seem to flex when shooting but not in the good way, like the rubber grips do.. Also, they feel thinner than the original rubber grips I had on. Overall, I think I'm returning them tomorrow and either getting the some wood ones or those sweet sweet Lakeline grip sets. I'm partial to the wood but I think the Lakelines seem more functional..

For the $299 original cost, I kind of thought that the CT grips wouldn't be so cheap.. it's like a key chain laser glued to something I got out of a coin machine at the grocery. No wonder why they stopped making them.. If I made 5x overpriced, half assed garbage, I'd probably stop at some point as well. I think if I ever dropped the gun with these on, they would crack/ shatter. "drop your weapons and come out with your hands up" It's like, they didn't say "slowly bend down and carefully place your hand gun on the ground." After which time, I'd be out a new set of grips..

I did enjoy running around the range, shoulder rolling, making 'pew pew pew' noises shooting at imaginary imperial storm troopers but I felt stupid after I realized that some people had shown up and were watching my antics for who knows how long.. I introduced my self as Lando, to play the joke off but..

I can say that the gun did shoot where the laser dot was sitting on the target..and I managed to drain several bulls but IDK..seems like a gimmick and I do just about as well without having the dancing red dot, with some room for improvement. Also, seems like if I was in a gun battle and someone had these, I'd be shooting for the red light guy first, so maybe it's for the better, not to be that guy.

I have a sister with pretty painful arthritis in her shoulders, and almost cannot raise her arms to sight a firearm. This will give those like her better use and control. The red dot will give a burgler something to consider as well. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a buyer that will get your investment back

Quote Originally Posted by ZardozCZ View Post
    I have a sister with pretty painful arthritis in her shoulders, and almost cannot raise her arms to sight a firearm. This will give those like her better use and control. The red dot will give a burgler something to consider as well. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a buyer that will get your investment back
    I agree. Since it's discontinued and so deeply discounted, this item could probably be flipped for a profit if one didn't like it.
    I wouldn't expect wood or G10 to be much softer than plastic. I imagine they're all about the same compared to rubber.