Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM40 Failure to extract

Default PM40 Failure to extract

Shot my PM40 this morning. was running fine until I had 3 FTE's. Occurred with 2 out of 5 mags the other three mag run with no issues. Any input regarding possible causes. 1 happened with 6 round mag and 3 with new mags. After inspecting the mags found that the followers are not good. Looks like the Lakeline followers are messed up
    in the left corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sent the PM 40 back to Kahr through my FFl. Hoping they will fix both extraction issue and slide from smashing mag followers. One tech say under warranty other one said they will call me with any charges before they send back. I think I am about to get hit in the shorts on this one. My LGS will not even order a KAHR on special orders because of all the returns and issues. He stands by everything he sells, even used guns. Sending to Kahr free of charge to me. This LGS has been in business for 40 years and has the bests prices and reviews in this area. The CM9 I bought has been perfect over 300 rounds. The PM40 has not been as good. Will see what Kahr does.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas48 View Post
    Sent the PM 40 back to Kahr through my FFl. Hoping they will fix both extraction issue and slide from smashing mag followers. One tech say under warranty other one said they will call me with any charges before they send back. I think I am about to get hit in the shorts on this one. My LGS will not even order a KAHR on special orders because of all the returns and issues. He stands by everything he sells, even used guns. Sending to Kahr free of charge to me. This LGS has been in business for 40 years and has the bests prices and reviews in this area. The CM9 I bought has been perfect over 300 rounds. The PM40 has not been as good. Will see what Kahr does.
    The slide is not doing that damage to the followers.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

gb is correct, your followers are being bashed by the feed ramp on the gun. Kahr will do a ramp job and that issue will be solved. More than likely that will solve the extraction issues also. Kahrs earl;ier bad rap, has not set well with LGS people.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

When the followers are getting hit that hard, the rear leg of the aluminum followers can be bent inward, causing feeding issues as well. Relief needs to be ground in either the followers or the ramp on the barrel to make them all play well together.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    The slide is not doing that damage to the followers.
    I misspoke it it the feed ramp smashing the followers. As I read here on Kahr Talk a common issue with older models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent my PM40 to Kahr after followers were being mangled. Returned it to me quickly, feed ramp was relieved, replaced the slide stop spring. Took it to the range and out of 70 rounds 50 would not feed, had to pull the slide about 1/4 inch and then it fed the next round. I noticed that a brand new follower was broken and 2 Lakeline followers were damaged. My LGS Sent it back to Kahr 8 days ago and got it back today. Kahr polished the barrel and feed ramp, lubed it and replace 3 followers. They kept my Lakelines. My LGS fired 3 mags of 165 grain hardball with no malfunctions. Will take it to the range this week to run some hollow points through it. Will follow up with a range report after testing 3 different types of hollow points. This is turning out to be the pistol from hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Range Report on my PM40. Fired about 100 rounds thru the gun this AM. Had intermittent failures to FTF with 4 different mags using 180gr Winchester Rangers, 180 Remington HTP, 155gr Hornady XTP's. 20 165 gr Gold Dots. All Gold Dots fed without problem. All mags went through without any battering from the feed ramp so that problem is finally fixed. I loaded the last 5 mags using all of the above ammunition, fired without a FTF. It seems that if I don't use 5+1 the gun runs fine. If I put one in the chamber on top of a full 5 round mag I was getting an FTF about the 2nd or 3rd round . Would only get 1 FTF per mag when using 5+1. No FTF's with just a 5 round mag tapping the mag before loading the weapon. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot all of the above rounds. I feel that now this gun is reliable for carry if I don't got the 5+1 route. Any in sights from others would be welcome.

You may want to try and sand the inner lips of the top of the magazine. Also maybe try a stronger mag spring, and check to see that the mag springs are installed correctly. Just a couple of guesses..............................

I am not clear. Are you loading the PM40 from a mag or by dropping a round into the chamber without using a mag? (It is better to chamber a round from a mag with the slide locked and released using the slide release.) Are you then topping off the mag? For a carry gun with a 5 round mag, I would want to carry 5+1. If this does not go away, I recommend you install Lakeline followers in the mags that you will actually carry. My PM9, which was not really having much of a problem, was vastly improved by installation of Lakeline followers. Carry pistols should be as reliable as possible.