Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM40 Failure to extract

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    I am not clear. Are you loading the PM40 from a mag or by dropping a round into the chamber without using a mag? (It is better to chamber a round from a mag with the slide locked and released using the slide release.) Are you then topping off the mag? For a carry gun with a 5 round mag, I would want to carry 5+1. If this does not go away, I recommend you install Lakeline followers in the mags that you will actually carry. My PM9, which was not really having much of a problem, was vastly improved by installation of Lakeline followers. Carry pistols should be as reliable as possible.
    Loaded 1st one with the mag in as per Kahr recommendation, then take out mag and top off. New mags with about 50 thru each mag. Mag spring are in correctly and are new springs, new mags. May have to sand the lips. Runs fine with 5 rounds that one in the chamber plus 5 in the mag causing an issue. Think it's the mags not the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try slapping the mag after loading each of the last 3 rounds. Also, though some recommend against lubricating insides of mags, try some dry lube to see if it helps. If you feel comfortable doing it, I would load LIVE HP defensive cartridges from the mag by allowing the slide to move slowly forward to observe any hangups. If you do this, in addition to pointing in a safe direction, I recommend putting your trigger finger BEHIND the trigger to prevent an accidental discharge while loading. Done carefully, this is not a bad way to chamber a round into a Kahr, since their triggers do not move back as the slide is drawn back and you get a stronger grip. Do it outside, if possible, and use eye and ear protection. If you can find snap caps in the shape of hollow point ammo or reloaded HP ammo, without powder and primer, this would be be better. A defensive pistol must be reliable with HP defensive ammo.
    Regarding sanding, I recently used a Dremel and a rubberized abrasive head to bevel upward the top front edge of a mag, where a round would hit if it nosedived while traveling forward. A little bit was enough to have the impact point on the mag more likely to lift the round. (This was on a new design of a 9 round, 9mm Wilson Combat mag.) If you do this, use a nail or punch to hold the follower down and out of the way by pushing it through the mag's lower witness holes. Also, depending on what you find while observing the round moving, you may see a need to bevel downward the rearmost edge of the feed ramp. For this, I recommend wrapping some fine emery paper around a dowel to contact only the rear lower edge of the feed ramp with good control. Leave the Dremel for things that are cheaper to replace if something goes wrong.
    I read Kahr did not return your Lakeline followers, but I think they, like heavier mag springs, are worth trying. None of these things should be necessary, of course, but sometimes are, unfortunately. Small pistols often have more reliability problems due to shorter slide excursions and the PM40 is probably the smallest .40 pistol. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    Try slapping the mag after loading each of the last 3 rounds. Also, though some recommend against lubricating insides of mags, try some dry lube to see if it helps. If you feel comfortable doing it, I would load LIVE HP defensive cartridges from the mag by allowing the slide to move slowly forward to observe any hangups. If you do this, in addition to pointing in a safe direction, I recommend putting your trigger finger BEHIND the trigger to prevent an accidental discharge while loading. Done carefully, this is not a bad way to chamber a round into a Kahr, since their triggers do not move back as the slide is drawn back and you get a stronger grip. Do it outside, if possible, and use eye and ear protection. If you can find snap caps in the shape of hollow point ammo or reloaded HP ammo, without powder and primer, this would be be better. A defensive pistol must be reliable with HP defensive ammo.
    Regarding sanding, I recently used a Dremel and a rubberized abrasive head to bevel upward the top front edge of a mag, where a round would hit if it nosedived while traveling forward. A little bit was enough to have the impact point on the mag more likely to lift the round. (This was on a new design of a 9 round, 9mm Wilson Combat mag.) If you do this, use a nail or punch to hold the follower down and out of the way by pushing it through the mag's lower witness holes. Also, depending on what you find while observing the round moving, you may see a need to bevel downward the rearmost edge of the feed ramp. For this, I recommend wrapping some fine emery paper around a dowel to contact only the rear lower edge of the feed ramp with good control. Leave the Dremel for things that are cheaper to replace if something goes wrong.
    I read Kahr did not return your Lakeline followers, but I think they, like heavier mag springs, are worth trying. None of these things should be necessary, of course, but sometimes are, unfortunately. Small pistols often have more reliability problems due to shorter slide excursions and the PM40 is probably the smallest .40 pistol. Good luck.
    Finpro thanks for the suggestions. Kahrs are much more finicky than Glock's but once running right are much easier to carry and are great pocket carry weapons. My Cm9 has been flawless but prefer .40 as a carry. Heavy crimped 165 and 180 grain Bullets will be my carry choice in this weapon as opposed to my hotter 155 gr Hornadys. I can seat deeper with shorter COALS . All perfectly acceptable for SD in this weapon. I feel confident now with my PM40 but have to sacrifice 1 round. If required to use for close in situations the accuracy of this gun will fulfill intended function hopefully will not require the additional round. Intend to make your suggested mods to the mags and at my next range trip will verify the results. Thanks again.