Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a Kahr CW9 Purchase & New Owner Questions

Default Why a Kahr CW9 Purchase & New Owner Questions

Good afternoon all. I have been looking into purchasing a new CCW handgun for well over a year now. I am not rich but I don’t like to buy cheap either. That is why over the past year I have been researching numerous websites and forums to make sure I get the best, and most reliable, bang for my buck. One of the many forums I have been reviewing articles from is KahrTalk.com. I would like to thank all of the forum’s contributors for very helpful and informative posts.

With that being said, I ordered a Kahr CW9 yesterday afternoon. It is scheduled to arrive at the dealer on Thursday. I do have a few questions before my new Kahr arrives but first I would like to give some background information on myself and why I purchased the Kahr CW9. The purpose of my background info is two-fold: 1) I hope this background info helps prospective handgun buyers make an informed decision before they purchase their next handgun and 2) I hope this background info gives the rest of the forum a better understanding of myself and how I plan to use the weapon so the can best answer my questions.

My background…

I am 6’00” tall and about 280lbs. I have been hunting and shooting for over 23 years now. Most of that experience is with rifles and shotguns. About four years ago I purchased my first handgun, a Glock 23 (40 cal), for the purpose of CCW and home defense. I love shooting the G23 but hate carrying it around. It is just too bulky for me to comfortably carry concealed on a regular basis. I believe a CCW gun does you no good unless you have it with you all the time, as much as the law will allow.

When deciding on a new CCW handgun, my research quickly became narrowed down to four main weapons: 1) Kahr CW9, 2) Kahr PM9, 3) KelTec PF9, 4) Glock 26. I do not intend to talk bad about other guns or companies but here are some of the reasons/thoughts that ultimately led to my purchase of the CW9…

Reason 1: The Kahr and Glock models seemed to have a reliable reputation; the last thing I want is for my gun to not work when I need it to the most. I am hesitant on the reliability of the Keltec. I am not saying keltecs are not reliable, just that I read too many articles about problems and how you need to make fixes/mods before you can consider them reliable.

Reason 2: A lot of the Kahr features seemed similar to my Glock; I would like an easy shooting transition back and forth between the two weapons.

Reason 3: For me, the cost of the CW9, PF9, and G26 was more affordable/realistic than the PM9; as previously stated, I am not rich.

Reason 4: The CW9 and PF9 overall size (height and length) fit perfect in my hands. They are small enough to conceal but large enough for me to comfortably shoot; I won’t carry a gun I am not accurate with and I wont practice with a gun I can’t comfortably shoot. The grips on the PM9 and the G26 were just too short.

Reason 5: The thinness of the CW9, PM9 and PF9 allows me to use an IWB holster with comfort. The G26 is too thick for my liking. Because of my profession, I am usually dressed up with a tie, collared dress shirt (tucked in), and sometimes a suit/sport jacket. When not in work clothes, I usually wear jeans or shorts and a polo shirt tucked in. I am looking to use an IWB and shoulder rig (when wearing jacket) as my carry options.

Reason 6: The overall quality, of Kahr and Glock handguns, is high. I am not sure about the quality of KelTec. Not saying they are bad, just not sure. I have a personal rule that you never sell a firearm (unless family needs money). Once purchased, you keep them until you die, at which point you hand them down to your children/grandchildren. I would like all of my weapons to be used with pride through multiple generations in my family.

I understand that my above thoughts are very subjective. Again, I am not trying to talk ill about any specific gun or company. This is just what I have found through my research during the last year or so. I only hope that this information helps someone else further their research before making a CCW purchase decision. In the end, I thought long and hard about the above reasons and ultimately decided that the CW9 was the best option for my everyday CCW.

Now that the forum members have some background on myself, I would appreciate any help in answering the below questions before my Kahr CW9 arrives on Thursday…

1. I am looking for some good concealment holsters for a reasonable price (under $100 each). I am leaning towards purchasing an IWB holster (4 o’clock) and a shoulder harness but open to any other suggestions you may have. I have seen some other articles in the Kahr forums talking about specific styles/models but not sure if the recommended holsters would meet my needs and dress style. Based on my background, any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. What all needs to be done to prepare the gun for its first visit to the range? I have seen posts about cleaning out the breach hole? Could some please explain in further detail? Is there anything else to do before the range visit? Any other places to clean/prep?

3. Any recommendations on ammo to use? What ammo to stay away from?

4. I understand that some handguns require you to release the trigger fully between each round. Is this the case with Kahr? I am used to my Glock where I can release the trigger about 1/8”-1/4” and then I can pull again. I like this feature because it helps with my accuracy. Will I be able to only release the 1/8”-1/4” on a Kahr or will I need to re-train?

5. The one thing that I am not sure I will like about the Kahr CW9 is the end of the magazine that protrudes from the grip. I know that I can go to Kahr’s website and buy a metal piece to slide onto the base of the magazine. However, looking at other posts, that option doesn’t seem to really help. The magazine still protrudes from the grip. Does Kahr or any other manufacture make a flush magazine for the CW9, like the one that is made for the PM9? I am willing to give up a round in the magazine if I need to.

I am getting excited to receive my new Kahr and will add on to this thread, or create a new one, once I get my new Kahr and take it to the range. In the meantime, I would appreciate any answers you may be able to provide to my questions. Also, any additional advise on my new Kahr would also be appreciated. Thank you all in advance for the great information!

P.S. Pictures are always welcome!

-MJR-

You made a very good, well thought out decision, in my opinion. The CW9 is an excellent CC handgun, and the addition of night sights makes it just about perfect. I bought mine last June and have over 800 rounds (should be closer to 3000 rounds by now, but ammo costs and lack of availability slowed that down) through it, with all types of shooters.... 16-17 year old French girls that had never held a pistol before, a half dozen older ladies, several teenage boys, a half dozen of my running buddies.... all flawless rounds with not one single malfunction of ANY kind.

Over the last several years of concealed carry I have carried three different models of Kel-Tec pistols, a Kimber Compact Stainless, a Sig P239, an old Star BM, various Ruger and S&W revolvers, and others, but had been on a quest for the ultimate in 9mm carry versatility. I had my heart set on the MK9 although I had never even seen one, but just happened to run across the CW9 at a local shop and instantly fell in love (even though I was trying to get rid of all my tupperware). I traded one of my smaller .380's (4 years old at the time) and a hundred bucks for the CW9, and never looked back.

Follow the instructions here on the board for giving it a thorough cleaning, especially flushing the striker channel well, and hand rack the slide a couple of hundred times while watching the gun shows on the outdoor channel, and dry fire (with or without snap caps) to get the feel of the smooth, silky trigger.

As for holsters..... very subjective subject. For IWB, most folks seem to prefer the leather/kydex hybrids.... I will try one some day. Personally, I have no problem with the simplicity of the Don Hume leather, single clip IWB holsters. I can easily slip it out of the waist band while sitting in my pick-up when making visits to the post office or the court house (work related visits), and easily re-arm when I get back in the truck. I don't unholster the gun to do this. Another plus with the leather single clip holster is that it will easily fit inside the top of my cowboy boot.... although with only size 8 boots it is a bit more cramped than my KT P3AT or P32. The better made M-Tac or Super Tuck holsters would probably be more comfortable for carry, but not as versatile. I carry 24/7/365 with the exception of very few places that are off limits, so I do look for all the options. Some times you just have to dress around your gun, so you look for all the options. Since I'm such a studly looking old guy that never grew up, I still wear pretty tight fitting bluejeans most of the time, so pocket carry just isn't an option....besides, I want access when sitting and pocket carry just don't fit my style. Your idea of a nice shoulder holster is also appealing, although limited to winter or suit days. I don't get much winter here, or wear a suit/sport coat more than a dozen times a year, so I never persued the finer leather shoulder holster. I do have an inexpensive cordura rig that gets some use during the winter "in the field", and do like the carry style. I've also been seriously considering a nice, well fit shoulder rig for my CW9, and would be interested in your research on that subject.

Personally, I would opt for the night sights and a less expensive (leather) holster to begin with over the expense of the higher end holster right away, if money is a consideration. The night sights, at least for me with rather poor vision, are a major plus.

Just some of my thoughts... and welcome to the world of Kahr

surv

oh...here's some pics

this is the CW9 in my old single clip DH 715 (originally made for a 4" 1911)

This is the CW9 in a Bianchi (can't remember the model #, but it was labled to be for the PM9)

6ft, 280 big ole boy ain't ya? I meant that in a nice way just for the record since I'm just a little fella you could squash and not even need to bring your lunch. But I'm wiry!

You seem to have done your homework and know what your about. You bring forth many good thoughts and your reasoning is sound.
    I'm gonna skip over the holster question because we could write volumes about that and everyone has different likes and dislikes. I'm sure you'll get lots of sound suggestions from the gang. Just like the gun, if the holster don't work you won't wear it so you gotta get a good fit on whatever works. If you like IWB our very own RPollard makes a nice inexpensive rig, you can see those here under holsters. (I thought I was skipping that one?)

If you go to the tech section and look up Jocko's prepping your new Kahr it explains alot of what works well prior to first range session. It's all in there and really helps things along.

For break in I just use any ball type ammo, no need to waste expensive carry stuff till things are running smoothly. I avoid the cheap stuff if I can possibly help it but if cheap is the only way to shoot I'll do that too.

You will need to retrain on the trigger. The reset on the Kahr is non existant. You need to release it all the way like a revolver and start over. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is smooth and once you get it I think you'll be fond of it. I transitition between glocks, and several others with no issues. You just got to get used to it. Don't expect quarter size groups at 25 yards at first but kahrs are accurate.

I've rambled long enough here, I'm sure others will jump in with some wise help as well. Enjoy your new Kahr, hope it runs fine right out of the box with no hiccups.

Let us know how she all shakes out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

1. I am looking for some good concealment holsters for a reasonable price (under $100 each). I am leaning towards purchasing an IWB holster (4 o’clock) and a shoulder harness but open to any other suggestions you may have.
    The Kahr web site offers several choices of holster. The Crossbreed may suit your needs. I don't carry IWB, but others have raved about this holster. I'm partial to the Mitch Rosen Premier and Galco Concealable. As to a shoulder holster, the Galco or Mitch Rosen lines are hard to beat. I use a Galco Miami Classic as well as a Half Harness, (which may not be available).

2. What all needs to be done to prepare the gun for its first visit to the range? I have seen posts about cleaning out the breach hole? Could some please explain in further detail? Is there anything else to do before the range visit? Any other places to clean/prep?
    My advice is to read the manual, clean the gun, lube and go shoot it.

3. Any recommendations on ammo to use? What ammo to stay away from?
    The only ammo I've ever had trouble with is Magtech solid copper, used in the polgonal barrels. Two Kahrs and a Hk would not operate with this ammo.

4. I understand that some handguns require you to release the trigger fully between each round. Is this the case with Kahr? I am used to my Glock where I can release the trigger about 1/8”-1/4” and then I can pull again. I like this feature because it helps with my accuracy. Will I be able to only release the 1/8”-1/4” on a Kahr or will I need to re-train?
    No short reset. You'll get used to it quickly.

5. The one thing that I am not sure I will like about the Kahr CW9 is the end of the magazine that protrudes from the grip. I know that I can go to Kahr’s website and buy a metal piece to slide onto the base of the magazine. However, looking at other posts, that option doesn’t seem to really help. The magazine still protrudes from the grip. Does Kahr or any other manufacture make a flush magazine for the CW9, like the one that is made for the PM9? I am willing to give up a round in the magazine if I need to.
    Some people cut the plastic base protrusion off. Some folk buy the two part flat metal base plate. I pay it no mind personally, but my hands may be smaller than yours.

I am getting excited to receive my new Kahr and will add on to this thread, or create a new one, once I get my new Kahr and take it to the range. In the meantime, I would appreciate any answers you may be able to provide to my questions. Also, any additional advise on my new Kahr would also be appreciated. Thank you all in advance for the great information!
    * Don't expect a target gun. Kahrs are made for self defence. The trigger is meant to be pressed with deliberation... long and slow isn't always better for accuracy. Don't over think each shot.

* IMHO night sights are far superior to the standard Kahr sights. You may want some after you experience the gun at the range a bit.

* Some people find the rubber grip sleeves help improve the grip. I use both Pachmayr and Hogue sleeves. They're a cheap improvement.

Enjoy your new CW9.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Enjoy your new weapon you made the right decision.

look at the leather/Kydex thread on this site you can score a very nice holster for not a big pile of money (35 bucks) made by a member here. I own one and would recomend it to you.

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

not much sense in my trying to add anything to help, you guys done a great job. The CW9 is just one hell of a semi, IMO. treat it right from the git go and it will serve you well and trust me when I say a kahr is a gun tha tyou can shoot until the cows come home. You will see alof of glocik in the slide comparison. Justin Moon was a big fan of Gaston glock and it shows.

Pretty much everything has already been covered. I would suggest you check out taguagunleather.com and look at their stuff. It is inexpensive but good quality. I use their quickslide for my CW9 and haven't had the need to try anything else. I'm within 40 pounds of you and IWB just isn't comfortable for me. I use OWB much better and the CW9 disappears under a 2X t-shirt.
    Just get some ammo and shoot the thing. You'll get used to it just like the rest of us and really like it.

Just about everything has been said, but I'll add a personal note. Over the last two years, I have switched from 9mm to 45. I sold all my 9mm hand guns, all that is except three, which I refuse to let go. a SIG P225, a S&W SW9VE, and my CW9.

Night sights a big plus to them,sure do help in low light and you don't want to be trying to find them regular sights in a hurry. As for a holster you may have to try a few to find what works for you, seems everybody likes something a little different. Clean and prep your cw9 as Jacko put in his guide and you should be ok. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

This forum definitely has a knowledgeable group of members! I appreciate everyone’s responses, thank you. I will look into everyone’s holster suggestions, stay away from the trouble ammo, purchase the night sights, and prepare my weapon in accordance with Jocko's Guide before I go to the range the first time.

Can’t wait until tomorrow!