Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same/Same vs Differnet

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

Default Same/Same vs Differnet

Now the explanation of the title.
    I have the jones for a new pistol - presently carry rotation is CW45 when when carried, is smaller then remembered, when not on my hip is H-U-G-E my mind has it the size of a 1970's Buick.
    The other carry is S&W J-Frame .38 SP

I'm obsessive compulsive so have created a spread sheet of all the bottom feeder semi-automatic guns I'm interested and other then the CM9 the CW45 I already own is the smallest on the list....

Anyhow back to the general pool question. I have a dearly loved Springfield Armory XDm 9mm but for me too large for daily discrete carry - it has a TRL-2 HL Light/Laser combo and is on a "war belt" for social disorder hanging off the rack the the AR lives on with spare mags and IFAC ready go to... so to speak.

So the new pistol question - Same/Same buy a XDs-9 to keep feel and manual of arms alike - (all new considerations but one will be 9mm to keep ammo differences to a minimum)
    or go to something like the CM9 to keep it Kahr - which I very much like the trigger, Glock which appear to have used my personal bio-metrics to make their guns for, there has never been a Glock that has not "just fit right" or "pointed natural" to me, or a Sig P938 which just makes my heart sing when I pick it up fit, finish, how much it feels so un-combat Tupperware like.

Typically I purchase one gun - long gun, shotgun, pistol of some type, about one every three years or so unless totally unhappy - but the stable I have now I am very happy with, I just think a 9mm single stack could round it out nicely. My common sense side says XDs in 9 to keep it all the same.

Nature first question is why S/A XDm and not Glock as your base as you say it is super-natural for you? The XDm is from a lost friend and it has such sentimental value that making it a safe queen is something I could not justify - friends and memory's mean more to me above all else. (plus I shoot it very very well, so I'm quite happy with it)
    Somewhere way down the list is new revolver, but honestly I am happy with my J-Frame and Ruger Security Six .357 as my two wheel guns. While I love them, do not feel the need to expand them.

I'm just tossing out words to the forum for "what would you do"

The "list" - First Two are mine 442, and CW45 - all others are on my mental debate list.

442 Kahr CW45 Kahr CM9 Sig P290RS Sig P938 G43 SCCY G26 PPS XDS 9 XDS 45 Ruger LC9s Sig P320 Sub G36
    Length 6.31” 6.32” 5.42” 5.5” 5.9” 6.26” 5.7” 6.41” 6.3” 6.3” 6.3″ 6.7” 6.69”
    Height 4.16” 4.8” 4.0” 3.9” 3.9” 4.25” 4.0” 4.17” 4.4” 4.4” 4.4″ 4.5” 4.7” 4.76”
    Width 1.28” 1.01” .9” .9” 1.1” 1.02” 1.0” 1.18” 1.0” 0.9” 0.9″ .9” 1.3” 1.10”
    Barrel 3.47” 3.64” 3.0” 2.9” 3.0” 3.39” 3.1” 3.42” 3.2” 3.3” 3.3″ 3.12” 3.6” 3.77”
    Weight 14.25 oz 19.7 oz 14 oz 16.4 oz 16 oz 17.95 oz 15 oz 21.71 oz 21.5 oz 23 oz 21.05 oz 17.2 oz 24.9 oz 27 oz loaded

Thanks for letting me ramble. (As usual)

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

The CM9 looks pretty good to me. I love carrying my P380 in a wallet holster.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I love my XDS 9mm (3.3") but she got relegated to the safe once the CM9 moved in. The Springfield is an excellent gun but the additional size and weight just do not justify the extra round over the Kahr.

I cannot tell you which to buy, but can tell you which ones I dislike.
    G36, had one, one of the few pistols I traded, replaced with a PM45.
    SCCY, nice reliable double stack 9mm, very reasonable price, 12# trigger.

BTW, how are going to carry this new pistol? IWB, OWB, AIWB, Pocket? This would/should have an influence on the selection.

Since you adore the Sig 938, have you considered a Springfield R.O. Compact in 9MM? A little longer, a littler heavier, but depending on carry method, belt and holster, might work for you.
    NRA Benefactor

You missed one (or two) -- S&W Shield. The 45 has a better trigger than the 9mm, in my experience.

I second the CM9 recommendation above, also. These 3 are my primary carry rotation.

It's your list but I think you're omitting 2 of the best out there. HK P2000 & my favorite and one of my carry firearms, HK P2000SK. They're not pocket rockets. How your carrying DOES influence the decision.

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

Thanks for the input.
    And yes the list is in flux and all of the above recommendations are now on the to be reviewed, I have no problems letting the best suited pistol float to the top no matter what it is.
    - Carry method for this will be IWB only - no pocket or OWB - my particular choice of how I like to carry .... then again my best friend pocket carries a shield .45 - no thank you...

In another post I was considering using the CW45 as trade bait toward the cost of its replacement and I had decided that the replacement would have been the CM9 - but now that I've decided to keep the CW45, it does give support in making the next purchase the CM9

Not buying anything RIGHT NOW but I sure do enjoy reading about and watching reviews of and taking suggestions for - new toys. .

Thanks.

If IWB is your carry choice I don't see why the search isn't over with the CW45. It's ideal.

Course I never get between a man and his new gun ever.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Cm9 for weight, size, trigger and simplicity. BUT, that sig P938 sings to me too but it would just be a range toy for me.

I pocket a j-frame and cm9 and they are super easy to keep with me all the time.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

When you scale down a service pistol to CCW size, the ergonomics change enough that having the same manual of arms doesn't necessarily mean you'll shoot it exactly the same.

My M&P9 and Shield 9 feel very different; my SP101 and GP100 feel very different. In other words, you'd still have to practice with both to be good with both.

So, buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, and shoot it. A lot.