Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which CW380? Tungsten, Night sights..Or........

Default Which CW380? Tungsten, Night sights..Or........

Hello!

Finally sold my S&W BG380. While I loved the form factor, I could not get used to the trigger.

In the market for a replacement 380. Down to the Taurus TCP and CW380.

I see the Kahr has different models. What is the difference between the Tungsten slide and the regular slide? Weight and performance wise? Are the sights any different ?

I see they make a regular model with night sights. Any opinions on this?

Any input would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Can't help you directly with the CW380 but I researched heavily before purchasing a new Tungsten CM9 (9093TU3). The slide, trigger, & slide release are cerakoted w/ a tungsten finish. It does not add appreciable weight. After following the cleaning, lubrication, & break in directives my CM9 performs well & smoothly. The "3" in the part number refers to 3-dot sights, a style I like on other pistols that I own. After initial adjustment period, the CM9 is accurate & fun to shoot. I'm currently around 500 rounds fired w/ zero malfunctions on a variety of quality range and defense ammunition.

The "TU3" models for 2017 also come with an extended pinkie grip on the 6 round mag which, in 9mm, gives you the extended grip of the 7 round mag but less weight & slightly better concealment. I tend to carry the 7 round mag IWB and the 6 round when pocket carrying. Kahr included Pachymr rubber grips. I remove the grips to clean but put them back on to carry & shoot.

IMO the tungsten cerakote and 3-dot sights are worth the small premium over stock, while the mag extension & grips just add to the value.

In case you are interested, I chose the CM9 over the CW380 for 1) ammunition compatibility w/ my other 9MM's (I currently own no .380's), 2) general reliability of the 9mm over the smaller .380 based on research, 3) the ability of the CM9/PM9 to pocket carry w/ the correct holster, & 4) superior ballisitic performance & availability of 9mm over .380. I'm still interested in the smaller profile of the .380 but met my immediate needs w/ the CM9 w/o having to stock another ammunition caliber.

I have both the CW380 in Tungsten with 3-dot sights (TU3) as well as a P380 in black with night sights. They both shoot the same, both very accurate, and same smooth trigger pull. Night sights are available from Kahr for the CW380 as well for around $80.00. CW380's that are not the TU3 use a "Bar-Dot" sight.

Pics here http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-New-CW380-TU3

Charlie

I have to say night sights are not a bad idea. I've recently taken some defensive shooting classes and the instructor was not of the belief they are very useful, but I don't see how they can hurt. Now, the fiber optic sights really pop in the daylight, but I don't know if they're available for the CW380.

As for Cerakote? I'm not a fan. I like a nice stainless slide. I know Cerakote is durable and all, but nothing, to me, seems as attractive or durable as stainless. I know if I scratch it I can buff it out with no problem. I think the Cerakoted models and the carbon fiber print frame on the CW9 were a way for Kahr to introduce something new while they're getting the Gen 2s ready.

Do the CW380s have last round hold open?

And. Gen 2 you say........

Yes, the CW-380's hold open on last round, it was one thing that set it apart from the early Ruger and Keltec models. Plus, the recoil is easier too. (at least in my opinion)
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Yes, the CW-380's hold open on last round, it was one thing that set it apart from the early Ruger and Keltec models. Plus, the recoil is easier too. (at least in my opinion)
    Good info.

Good time to buy a CW380? Especially if a Gen 2 is in the works?

I doubt you'll see a Gen 2 CW380 anytime soon, if ever.

Of all the handguns I own (too many), I'm almost ashamed to admit my CW380 is my favorite....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I doubt you'll see a Gen 2 CW380 anytime soon, if ever.

Of all the handguns I own (too many), I'm almost ashamed to admit my CW380 is my favorite....
    I'm beginning to think we won't see the Gen 2 anytime soon in any model. :-)

I carry my CW380 more than anything. I love that accurate little rascal.

Taurus is introducing a new .380, the Spectrum that should be shipping about now. http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...urus-spectrum/

The TCP will be discontinued relatively soon I would expect. I am a fan of the CW380 but the Spectrum does look interesting. I have fondled one at SHOT. The trigger is nice but it only has the machined in sights like an LCP.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...